50G why does <<time>> dissapear
06-06-2014, 06:05 PM
50G why does <<time>> dissapear
if I press the time softkey i get the current time, if i write a program like <<time>> and run it i don't get the time on the stack. even if i put 'time' on the stack and evaluate it still no time on the stack. i bet its a simple thing but i'm baffeled by the dissapearing <<time>>. what function on a 50G can I program that will give a time number on the stack? I heard Carl Sagan say this may happens when we are entering a black hole... Sad

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2014, 06:23 PM
RE: 50G why does <<time>> dissapear
(06-06-2014 06:05 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  if I press the time softkey i get the current time, if i write a program like <<time>> and run it i don't get the time on the stack. even if i put 'time' on the stack and evaluate it still no time on the stack. i bet its a simple thing but i'm baffeled by the dissapearing <<time>>. what function on a 50G can I program that will give a time number on the stack? I heard Carl Sagan say this may happens when we are entering a black hole... Sad

Use capital letters. TIME works.

HTH Günter
06-06-2014, 06:29 PM
(06-06-2014 06:23 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Use capital letters. TIME works.

HTH Günter

not for me, even if i just type in TIME on the command line the command just dissapears and no result. same thing in <<TIME>> or 'TIME'.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

06-06-2014, 06:44 PM
To answer my own question:
Art did you make a TIME directory? if so the function TIME wont work unless you press the softkey dummy! rename the TIME directory to something like TIMEPROGS or something then the time function will begin to work again.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

06-07-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm surprised it lets you do that. I was prevented from creating directories several times when I picked names that clashed with builtin commands.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
06-07-2014, 07:46 PM
true dat... but it will let me make a directory named time. and the behavior is strange, it seems that once the time directory is created any program made after that time that uses the time function will just jump you to the time directory, but programs made before the directory was created work like normal.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

06-08-2014, 03:04 AM
(06-06-2014 06:05 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  i bet its a simple thing but i'm baffeled by the dissapearing <<time>>.

I heard Carl Sagan say this may happens when we are entering a black hole... Sad

Or if you are having too much fun. Are you having fun? Too much fun?
06-08-2014, 08:36 AM
(06-07-2014 07:46 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  true dat... but it will let me make a directory named time. and the behavior is strange, it seems that once the time directory is created any program made after that time that uses the time function will just jump you to the time directory, but programs made before the directory was created work like normal.

RPL programs are 'compiled' in some way. This should explain it. The TIME token is replaced by a SysRPL call in a program as long as there is no user object with the same name.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
06-08-2014, 12:49 PM
(06-08-2014 08:36 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  RPL programs are 'compiled' in some way. This should explain it. The TIME token is replaced by a SysRPL call in a program as long as there is no user object with the same name.

So the old programs keep working, but new programs go to the time directory.
I knew that dummy Carl Sagan was wrong, it has nothing to do with black holes! Angry

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

06-08-2014, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 01:35 PM by CosmicTruth.)
(06-08-2014 03:04 AM)Egan Ford Wrote:  
(06-06-2014 06:05 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  i bet its a simple thing but i'm baffeled by the dissapearing <<time>>.

I heard Carl Sagan say this may happens when we are entering a black hole... Sad

Or if you are having too much fun. Are you having fun? Too much fun?

Try as I may, I don't think I will ever have "too much fun", Lets keep experimenting!

now this is solved we can take on «E≠MC^²»

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

06-08-2014, 07:24 PM
(06-08-2014 08:36 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  The TIME token is replaced by a SysRPL call in a program as long as there is no user object with the same name.

How could that ever happen? I can use TIME as a local variable:
Code:
\<< \-> TIME
  \<< TIME SQ
  \>>
\>>
But I can't create a global variable or directory with this name.

Cheers
Thomas
06-09-2014, 01:03 AM
I created the directory with LS files, new, name: TIME, check directory,
So try it using the files function.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)