HELP!!---HP15C LCD screen cleaning?
09-14-2020, 03:57 PM
HELP!!---HP15C LCD screen cleaning?
Dear Forum

Have recently got myself an HP15C and was cleaning the screen using antibacterial hand wash. (I know prob bad idea - brain freeze).

The screen is a bit fuzzy with a slightly darker patch in the middle.

Have horrible feeling might have rubbed too hard (although not consciously).
and also that antibacterial gel not the best as got Ethanol, Hydrogen Peroxide and Glycerol in...
Have attached pic.
Do I need to look to replacing the screen?

Thanks for any replies.

KR

Andy    
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2020, 08:57 AM
RE: HELP!!---HP15C LCD screen cleaning?
I don't have experience replacing a screencover (its the plastic cover I hope) but there are ways to repair.
I usually use a piece of an old lady's nylon, make a little ball and attach to a small drilling machine.
Using brasso as a polishing agent with enough pressure you can remove this kind of damage.
You can do it manually but you need speed and pressure (heat).
It works well with perspex and not so much with macrolon so there is a risk.
Long time ago there was a polishing product for cellphone screens it was basically the same stuff.
09-15-2020, 03:04 PM
Look for a product called Polywatch in Amazon. Does wonders for HP41 screens.

However I had heard that Voyagers had a polarizing layer that could get damaged with the Polywatch polishing compound. Not the case with 41.
09-15-2020, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2020 05:19 PM by Diego Diaz.)
Hi Andy,

While cleaning/polishing the acrylic display protective cover is a good idea, I'm afraid that the problem you've got in your display (that faint elliptical shadow in the middle) has nothing to do with its cleanliness.

The reflective surface behind the second polaiyzer filter is no longer as "reflective" as it should.

Moisture condensation and/or even some exposure to direct sunligth can cause it to degrade (eventually it can even totally dissapear) leaving only the plastic liner (often white) and the adhesive.

The display itself is ok as are both polarizers, but replacing this reflective layer is beyond most technicians abilities and (also in most cases) will render far from perfect results.

If you want it perfect, only path is finding a donor unit with a good display of the same type (there have been different versions along the lifespan of the Voyager series).

Sorry about the bad news.

Kind regards.

Diego.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)