SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
10-19-2020, 06:16 AM
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
(10-19-2020 04:12 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  2-key rollover doesn't work properly.

press & hold "3", then press "1", then release "3", then release "1" result: 331

press & hold "3", then press "9", then release "3", then release "9" result :399

on a real 41 (or 41CL) you get 31 in the first case, 39 in the second case.

2-key rollover is hard to get right. It took me a while on the 41CL.

Monte

Already reported, during beta phase, where appropriate.
Still there.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2020, 11:39 AM
Yup, 2-key rollover very much needs to be fixed. From what I can tell, it was one of the big advances of the Nut machines (Voyagers as well), so there's no excuse to not properly support it. The DM42 does it - although there was a regression there back when they rewrote the keyboard scanning to eliminate bounce - so the hardware is definitely capable.
10-20-2020, 07:12 PM
I received my DM41X last week - S/N 00431. Took about 2 weeks to arrive (California/LA) - thank you SwissMicros! I've had a DM42 for a while, S/N 331. Also the credit-card SwissMicros 15c clone.

I "had to have" the DM42 when it came out, as it represented one of the Golden Age calcs on a modern platform, with enhancements. I've never been a 42s fan (sorry!), mostly due to the terrible screens on that model (I have old eyes). But I like the DM42 a lot, and it's in my regular calc rotation. The screen is fabulous, the package sleek. I did the famous "Logan keyboard fix" and this improved the feel and function of the keyboard to where I have no complaints (at least none that stop me using it).

My first HP was a 25, my second a 41C - these calcs "set the standard" for me! So when the DM41X came out I was excited to grab one. Following are my early experiences with this beauty:

Everything great about the DM42 is here - display, form-factor, looks, battery life etc. Built very well, I think they will last a long, long time, and are largely repairable. Great start.

The keyboard is different to my DM42, in subtle, and visible ways. The key tops are more angled/slanted than my DM42, and the keytop legends are bigger, bolder and clearer (good!).

The DM41X keys have a slightly louder "click", not clear to me how much this is just new DM41X vs used DM42 ? Usability of the keyboard is every bit as good as the "Loganized DM42", but I don't think it's dramatically different? Very usable. It's not like a original 41 (sigh) or a Classic or a Woodstock, but it's good.

My main complaint about both models (DM42 and DM41X) is that they both "rock" side to side when used on a flat surface. The back (metal) covers are curved, enough so the nice plastic feet aren't in the same plane, and the "belly" of the back cover contacts the surface! I see posts about taking some of the bow out by removing the cover and using finger pressure, and I've done this to both units, but the rocking persists. I am going to try more, because this really is annoying when using the calcs on the desk.

All things considered, I'm loving the DM41X, it's great to have a "41" back on my desk (I have my original 41C but its power switch became unreliable a while back). I recommend the DM41X and the DM42 wholeheartedly, great machines and good value for money. Thanks again SM!
Find all posts by this user
10-20-2020, 08:00 PM
(10-20-2020 07:12 PM)markhen Wrote:  My main complaint about both models (DM42 and DM41X) is that they both "rock" side to side when used on a flat surface. The back (metal) covers are curved, enough so the nice plastic feet aren't in the same plane, and the "belly" of the back cover contacts the surface! I see posts about taking some of the bow out by removing the cover and using finger pressure, and I've done this to both units, but the rocking persists. I am going to try more, because this really is annoying when using the calcs on the desk.

I've noticed that too, though more with my new DM41X than the DM42 I bought at the end of 2017.

The metal is pretty thick, and I can't bend it meaningfully with my fingers, so I put only the back shell on the floor with the printed back facing up and stepped on it with my heel, particularly between the pairs of rubber feet. (I weigh around 150 lbs, so your results may vary.) It's a definite improvement, but it feels like it could still use a bit more work.
10-21-2020, 07:13 PM
(10-20-2020 08:00 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(10-20-2020 07:12 PM)markhen Wrote:  My main complaint about both models (DM42 and DM41X) is that they both "rock" side to side when used on a flat surface. The back (metal) covers are curved, enough so the nice plastic feet aren't in the same plane, and the "belly" of the back cover contacts the surface! I see posts about taking some of the bow out by removing the cover and using finger pressure, and I've done this to both units, but the rocking persists. I am going to try more, because this really is annoying when using the calcs on the desk.

I've noticed that too, though more with my new DM41X than the DM42 I bought at the end of 2017.

The metal is pretty thick, and I can't bend it meaningfully with my fingers, so I put only the back shell on the floor with the printed back facing up and stepped on it with my heel, particularly between the pairs of rubber feet. (I weigh around 150 lbs, so your results may vary.) It's a definite improvement, but it feels like it could still use a bit more work.
Mine too. I just put a thin cloth underneath and everything works perfectly. Really great machine! Thanks a lot SwissMicros!
10-21-2020, 07:48 PM
(10-19-2020 04:12 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  2-key rollover doesn't work properly.

press & hold "3", then press "1", then release "3", then release "1" result: 331

press & hold "3", then press "9", then release "3", then release "9" result :399

on a real 41 (or 41CL) you get 31 in the first case, 39 in the second case.

2-key rollover is hard to get right. It took me a while on the 41CL.

Monte
I tried that with my DM15 and DM15L, both give 331 in the fist case and 339 in the second. I see the 9 coming when I release the 3. I'd never thought of trying this.
11-29-2020, 04:53 AM
I have a beta unit, on which Michael recently replaced the domes. I sent it to him because one row of keys was failing completely, and I didn’t want to tinker with the dome foil myself.

I just got it back two days ago. Hard to say if the keyboard feels different (I have used my 11C mostly the past weeks, so I lost the finger memory of the DM41X Beta). But the keys register very securely now, and also the “roll over” test works flawlessly. One remark though; I typically use my calculators handheld, and not on a desk.

NB: this was NOT a keyboard replacement! Michael only replaced the dome foil. As far as I know, this is still a DM41X Beta keyboard. I also don’t have a production unit to compare.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)