SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
09-27-2020, 07:42 AM
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
A calculator has no need for that extra complication. The USB port powers the device at +5V and communicates using MSC protocol. Period. The "industry standard" moving over to USB-C is the standard of an industry where the added complexity is wholly justified by the additional features that it brings to the table. Ultra high speed comms, networking, video display, fast charging... A calculator needs none of that. MicroUSB is absolutely fine.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2020, 08:23 AM
”Units will arrive with all of the HP Application Pac modules already in Flash ....”

Tnx for that info! Nice!

/ Lars B

Please VOA, please BBC, please Deutche Welle....
Don't surrender the shortwave bands to China Radio International.
09-27-2020, 02:26 PM
I am planning to use the XMEM of the DM41X to work with virtual arrays and save the calculator's RAM. In the absence of "local memory registers" like in the Free42, one can use these virtual arrays to mimic local registers in subroutines. If the DM41X is as fast as the DM42, I don't anticipate programs that uses XMEM data to slow down significantly.

Namir
09-27-2020, 02:43 PM
(09-27-2020 02:26 PM)Namir Wrote:  If the DM41X is as fast as the DM42.....

Sadly it can't be as fast as the DM42.

The DM42 uses a version of Free42 compiled for the STM32 CPU in the machine, so it's native code running.

The DM41X still uses an emulation layer and runs a slightly patched version of the CX mainframe, X-Func and Time ROMs. This said, it is still much, much faster than the HP-41CX. Some benchmarks that I ran a while back placed it somewhere between the TURBO20 and TURBO50 speeds of a 41CL depending on what you were doing.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
09-27-2020, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2020 09:55 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
(09-27-2020 07:42 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  A calculator has no need for that extra complication. The USB port powers the device at +5V and communicates using MSC protocol. Period. The "industry standard" moving over to USB-C is the standard of an industry where the added complexity is wholly justified by the additional features that it brings to the table. Ultra high speed comms, networking, video display, fast charging... A calculator needs none of that. MicroUSB is absolutely fine.

I do agree with you about the list of all new bells and whistles from USB-C, but I feel more confident about the reliability and expected life of my USB-C devices when compared to the Micro USB ones. Maybe that is just a feeling, but I am fully convinced that USB-C daily operations are by far more convenient.
I suppose adding USB-C would mean an extra cost... new version of PCB, case, tooling, etc., so that the prospect benefit may simply be not worth yet.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-27-2020, 05:19 PM
Personally, I'd prefer stepping back to mini USB, as the connectors tend to be a bit more rugged than micro USB.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2020, 05:20 PM
Ordered mine this morning.

My site http://www.emmella.fr
09-27-2020, 06:58 PM
(09-27-2020 05:19 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Personally, I'd prefer stepping back to mini USB, as the connectors tend to be a bit more rugged than micro USB.

Good thinking, though such cables will be less common in the future than the ubiquitous type C ones.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-27-2020, 08:46 PM
(09-27-2020 05:19 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Personally, I'd prefer stepping back to mini USB, as the connectors tend to be a bit more rugged than micro USB.

Although the mini-USB appears to be more robust, I believe the USB standard specs. for the micro specify more insertion/removal cycles than the mini, and such specs are typically not taken lightly by manufacturers.

Of course, specs. such as these have no say about careless users, etc. The good news though is due to the extreme volume of these in-use, you can get excellent quality micro-USB cables, including the nylon braided cable types that don't twist and get wrapped-up in knots, for only a few dollars each. I got an excellent 3-pack for $8.

--Bob Prosperi
09-28-2020, 03:13 PM
(09-27-2020 08:46 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Although the mini-USB appears to be more robust, I believe the USB standard specs. for the micro specify more insertion/removal cycles than the mini, and such specs are typically not taken lightly by manufacturers.

As I recall from when the various USB standards came out, micro USB was designed to address two deficiencies in mini USB. First, they wanted a thinner connector to better package into small mobile devices. And second, they wanted the wear part to be in the cable rather than the port. With mini USB (and also Apple's Lightning connector), the part providing tension is in the port, which means if that wears out, your device needs repair. But with micro USB, the part providing tension is in the cable, so when it wears out all you need to do is replace the cable. Now, the micro USB connector is far less durable than the mini USB port so you have to replace micro USB cables far more often than mini USB devices wore out in the past, but a cable that costs a few dollars is a lot more manageable than a $100+ device repair.
09-28-2020, 03:28 PM
(09-28-2020 03:13 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 08:46 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Although the mini-USB appears to be more robust, I believe the USB standard specs. for the micro specify more insertion/removal cycles than the mini, and such specs are typically not taken lightly by manufacturers.

As I recall from when the various USB standards came out, micro USB was designed to address two deficiencies in mini USB. First, they wanted a thinner connector to better package into small mobile devices. And second, they wanted the wear part to be in the cable rather than the port. With mini USB (and also Apple's Lightning connector), the part providing tension is in the port, which means if that wears out, your device needs repair. But with micro USB, the part providing tension is in the cable, so when it wears out all you need to do is replace the cable. Now, the micro USB connector is far less durable than the mini USB port so you have to replace micro USB cables far more often than mini USB devices wore out in the past, but a cable that costs a few dollars is a lot more manageable than a $100+ device repair.
Yes exactly. What I meant, is what you said, but far more clearly. Thx Eric.

--Bob Prosperi
09-28-2020, 04:16 PM
(09-28-2020 03:13 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  

That makes sense.

Mine just shipped, so now I get to spend the next two weeks being disappointed when the mail shows up!
09-28-2020, 06:11 PM
Ordered my DM41X this morning - received an email immediately saying it has shipped! Can't wait!

My 41C was my second HP calc, after my dearly beloved HP-25. The 41C was my "daily driver" for 25-30 years, what a great machine. The only reason I moved on (to other HPs!!!) was that I started my HP collection in 2009, and I've been using a wide variety of different models ever since. But I still have my 25 and 41 both in working condition! And a lot of other HPs ... every LED model (with some duplicates), and many other models. And a couple (or 3?) HP-01s ... what a disease!

I have a DM42, too, and I think it's a great calc (the usual "stiff keys" aside), but I'm not a 42S fan (sorry!!) so I think I may sell it, and my HP-42S, making more "room" for the DM41X ... !

Thanks SWissMicros!
09-29-2020, 02:45 AM
(09-28-2020 06:11 PM)markhen Wrote:  Ordered my DM41X this morning - received an email immediately saying it has shipped! Can't wait!

Thanks SWissMicros!

I ordered mine this morning, too and got the shipped notification back in less than two minutes. SM makes very solid calculators and I'm sure this one will follow the tradition.

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-29-2020, 03:08 AM
Bit of an aside, but I just ordered a coffee scale with USB-C recharging - which does not support fast recharging etc. and comes with a simple USB-A to USB-C cable. So it looks like you can get a sturdy connector without implementing complex USB-C - for products that don't need usb data, that is.

As for the DM41X - got burnt with the stiff keyboard on the DM42 and will be wary of future Swiss Micro products till the reports come in re the keyboards. For me, 80% of the pleasure of a physical calculator is the keyboard feel - otherwise I might as well use my iPhone touchscreen.
09-29-2020, 12:31 PM
(09-29-2020 03:08 AM)tcab Wrote:  As for the DM41X - got burnt with the stiff keyboard on the DM42 and will be wary of future Swiss Micro products till the reports come in re the keyboards. For me, 80% of the pleasure of a physical calculator is the keyboard feel - otherwise I might as well use my iPhone touchscreen.

A perfectly reasonable stance to take. You'll likely hear my opinion of the keys within an hour or so of me receiving mine. Smile
09-29-2020, 05:06 PM
(09-29-2020 12:31 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(09-29-2020 03:08 AM)tcab Wrote:  As for the DM41X - got burnt with the stiff keyboard on the DM42 and will be wary of future Swiss Micro products till the reports come in re the keyboards. For me, 80% of the pleasure of a physical calculator is the keyboard feel - otherwise I might as well use my iPhone touchscreen.

A perfectly reasonable stance to take. You'll likely hear my opinion of the keys within an hour or so of me receiving mine. Smile

That would be great and helpful indeed! Thanks in advance!
09-29-2020, 05:53 PM
I have mine! (as a swiss:-)
The sound test with the Swiss national anthem is grandiose. Unfortunately the text in ticker is missing. That would be the LCD letter test.
The keyboard is a dream. An upgrade kit for the DM42 with the same tactile pressure point would be at the top of my Christmas list.
I can't wait to order a DM43 with this hardware. Simply gorgeous.
09-29-2020, 08:43 PM
(09-29-2020 05:53 PM)Hans-Peter Wrote:  I have mine! (as a swiss:-)
The sound test with the Swiss national anthem is grandiose. Unfortunately the text in ticker is missing. That would be the LCD letter test.
The keyboard is a dream. An upgrade kit for the DM42 with the same tactile pressure point would be at the top of my Christmas list.
I can't wait to order a DM43 with this hardware. Simply gorgeous.

Do you experience ANY missing key presses?
09-29-2020, 09:20 PM
[/quote]
Do you experience ANY missing key presses?
[/quote]

On the DM42 yes on the davidmichaelfortyoneX no. It feels like a early 41c with tall keys (as I remember on my first one). Or a little bit like my 34 low power spice.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)