HP-27S Numeric Integration?
10-03-2020, 06:05 AM
HP-27S Numeric Integration?
The Museum's HP-27S write-up claims that the calculator features numeric integration. I don't believe that's a built in feature of the calculator? (Actually, it looks like the feature comparison table agrees with me.) However, it would definitely be interesting to have the 27S/19B solver and numeric integration in the same calculator.

There's an example in the Technical Applications manual of using the solver for integration, but I don't think that's enough to describe numeric integration as a feature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2020, 12:41 PM
RE: HP-27S Numeric Integration?
I've definitely never seen that feature on my 27S.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Definitely an error, there is no built-in integration capability.

BTW, it was long-rumored that HP had developed an "HP-27SII", which added RPN, similar to the 17BII and 19BII, but then chose to not produce and sell it. A member of the Pioneer dev. team has recently clarified that this was NOT the case, it was never developed, though members of the team thought it was a good idea and wanted to. A shame, as I think it would have been a real hit among all the engineers that had grown up with the first couple generations of HP machines, and been promoted to 'management' where the business functions are more handy and the need for deeply gory technical features much less.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
10-03-2020, 01:17 PM
(10-03-2020 01:13 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Definitely an error, there is no built-in integration capability.

BTW, it was long-rumored that HP had developed an "HP-27SII", which added RPN, similar to the 17BII and 19BII, but then chose to not produce and sell it. A member of the Pioneer dev. team has recently clarified that this was NOT the case, it was never developed, though members of the team thought it was a good idea and wanted to. A shame, as I think it would have been a real hit among all the engineers that had grown up with the first couple generations of HP machines, and been promoted to 'management' where the business functions are more handy and the need for deeply gory technical features much less.

If they had done a 27SII with integration, RPN, and the unit conversions from the 19BII, I would have a very tough time choosing between that and the 42S!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)