HP 12C (1981 version) PCB photo wanted
10-04-2020, 11:15 AM
HP 12C (1981 version) PCB photo wanted
Do any of you have a clear, fairly high resolution photo of the original HP-12C circuit board, showing the R2D2 chip, NUT processor, and 3 SR44 batteries? I'd like to use it in a short clip in my forthcoming YouTube video on the 12C.

If no one has a photo, I'd be satisfied with a video clip showing the circuit board.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2020, 01:26 AM
RE: HP 12C (1981 version) PCB photo wanted
I’ve got one of every version made torn to bits.

Are you referring to the original flex board version wrapped in the black ESD diaper or the later FR4 rigid board version?

Which version, what kind of view(s) and what resolution ‘ya all want?
10-05-2020, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2020 02:03 AM by JDW.)
Thank you for your kind reply!

Actually, I am not so savvy on the two versions of the original 12C (1980's version) you mention, so if it isn't too much trouble, I would absolutely love to see a top-down photo of both. By "top-down" I mean something like this photo:

[Image: hp12c_r2.jpg]

That photo isn't high enough in resolution for me to read the markings on the NUT processor. Not sure which variant of the 12C that is, but it's definitely one of the 1980's versions.

So as to resolution of your photos, I suppose as high as you can shoot. My intention is to show it in a 4K video about the 12C, with the hope of being able to clearly see the part numbers silkscreened on the R2D2 chip and the NUT processor. Having a view of the entire calculator (similar to the above photo) would be great. I intend to crop, resize and color-correct as required.

I assume your camera shoots in JPEG, but I can handle it even in RAW format. It's whatever is most convenient for you.

I will of course credit you for the photos.
10-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Below is the original black diaper version of a 15C so it has the third chip, 12C is identical with the exception of that middle rom chip.

So in original 12C versions you have three:

Original flex version with separate keyboard (black diaper version)
2 chip single board version (as per your photo)
1 chip single board version (uses different LCD with 4:1 multiplex

The units I have are typically just bare pc boards as the units were cannibalized for their LCD’s to repair 11/15C’s. I could probably find complete units if it matters but boards I know I have.

If all you’re looking for are chip part numbers, those are all documented on Eric Smith’s Brouhaha site. http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/hpcalc/chips/

[Image: 10cint.jpg]
10-06-2020, 11:16 PM
Thank you for making time to shoot that excellent photo for me. There is still time before I complete my video editing, so if you do come across either the original flex version of the 12 C or the version shown in my photo, but of course with high enough resolution to show the part number on the NUT processor, I would certainly love to see that photo as well. that way I won’t need to add a text caption on the photo to explain that it’s actually a 15 C and not a 12 C. Again, I will credit you for the photo in my video.

Thank you.
10-07-2020, 12:39 AM
By the way, sorry for the trouble, but could you upload a much high resolution photo of your 15C? I first saw your post on my iPhone and thought your photo was hi-rez, but now on my Mac I see it's really very low resolution. This forum lets you upload up to 8MB, which should allow for even a 20MP JPG. But if you have trouble uploading a hi-rez photo to this forum, Flickr, Dropbox or even iCloud would be feasible alternatives you could link to.

Again, sorry for the trouble, but thank you for your kind help and understanding.
10-07-2020, 03:18 AM
I didn’t take that photo, Dave Hicks did and it can be found on the 10C series technology page:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/tech10.htm
10-07-2020, 04:35 AM
Thank you for your reply.

I actually have found other 15C PCB photos just by Googling, but the reason why I opened this thread is because I could only find the one photo (see my earlier post) of a 12C PCB. And while that photo is somewhat decent, it's impossible to see the markings on the NUT processor clearly. So I was hoping that by posting this thread, some 1980's version 12C owner out there might very kindly be able to shoot a high resolution photo of the PCB, top-down, such that I could see the R2D2 chip and separate NUT process, with all the silkscreened markings very easily. Again, if you are able to do that, I would certainly be humbled and appreciative, as that is better than my using a 15C photo that I would need to write a note on to describe that it's not a 12C.

My video is about the 12C Platinum, actually. I am only mentioning the original 12C in passing as a bit of history. That's why it would be best if the photo I use is a 12C photo, and again, I'd really love a high resolution photo (top down) too.

Many thanks!
10-07-2020, 05:29 AM
A long while back I think I saw a spanish or brazilian youtube clips that disasembly the HP-12C

It look like not the original version of the 12C:

https://youtu.be/ZXBpc2JtN3g

Gamo 10/2020
10-07-2020, 05:41 AM
(10-07-2020 05:29 AM)Gamo Wrote:  It look like not the original version of the 12C:
https://youtu.be/ZXBpc2JtN3g
Gamo 10/2020

That's a newer edition of the 12C. I had found that video before. In fact, I find a lot of PCB photos in Google Images of the 12C, but most all are of the newer version which is not what I want. I want the 1980's version which has a separate R2D2 chip and NUT processor, with high resolution so I can clearly see the markings on each chip.

If anyone has a clear, hi-rez, top-down photo like that of a 1980's 12C, please post it.

THANK YOU!
10-09-2020, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2020 04:28 AM by JDW.)
I just wanted to close this thread since my search is over. After much sleuthing, I found what I was looking for in this old photo gallery, now only accessible at Archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/200602140913...er-voyager

Interestingly, the photo I found in the French forum, which I posted in one of my earlier posts, is actually a 16C.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to date.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)