New HP50g
11-02-2020, 04:46 PM
New HP50g
Hello everyone.

I'm afraid I came rather late to the party, only becoming aware of RPN earlier this year, but I adore the way it makes you be the driver of your own car, rather than phoning for an algebraic taxi, so to speak.

Today my still boxed and sealed HP50g arrived. I can't tell how old it is from the serial number, but it is in pristine condition and works fine. I believe the seller still has a few more of these in stock, if anyone is interested. It's a UK shop called calculatorsdirect.co.uk and costs 175.20 GBP including VAT. It's the Chinese made version.

The HP50g is the nearest thing to a dream come true for me: an RPN calculator that has Forth. RPL does seem to be ever so similar to Forth, and I anticipate much enjoyment in learning this particular language.

Best regards,
Rich
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2020, 05:53 AM
RE: New HP50g
RPL isn’t exactly Forth but it’s in the same family, broadly. Forth exists for the HP-71b, the 41 series, and I believe there is one for the 48/50 developed by Hrastprogrammer.
11-03-2020, 06:43 AM
Thank you for the information - I shall explore this.
11-03-2020, 07:54 AM
(11-02-2020 04:46 PM)Joyous Monkey Wrote:  Today my still boxed and sealed HP50g arrived. I can't tell how old it is from the serial number, but it is in pristine condition and works fine.
Try this:
https://serial-number-decoder.co.uk/hp-c...ulator.htm
11-03-2020, 12:42 PM
RPL is a hybrid of Forth and LISP. System RPL is more similar to Forth however.

If you are interested in programming, check out hpcalc.org

There you will find a host of programs, programming tools, external libraries, emulators, etc. Look under the "HP 49 Series" banner.
11-03-2020, 03:51 PM
(11-03-2020 07:54 AM)Stevetuc Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 04:46 PM)Joyous Monkey Wrote:  Today my still boxed and sealed HP50g arrived. I can't tell how old it is from the serial number, but it is in pristine condition and works fine.
Try this:
https://serial-number-decoder.co.uk/hp-c...ulator.htm

Thank you for the reply. The serial on my calculator is slightly different from the usual format: CNA 04500185 which is unrecognised. After experimenting with CN04500185 it shows week 45 of 2000 or 2010. However, the creator of this site states that models made after 2015 have a format similar to mine. I think 2015+ is a reasonable starting date.
11-03-2020, 04:11 PM
(11-03-2020 12:42 PM)John Keith Wrote:  RPL is a hybrid of Forth and LISP. System RPL is more similar to Forth however.

If you are interested in programming, check out hpcalc.org

There you will find a host of programs, programming tools, external libraries, emulators, etc. Look under the "HP 49 Series" banner.

Thank you for the suggestion. System RPL reminds me of Forth with a flavour of assembly language. I shall take the advice of the authors of the guide and learn User RPL first, though, as it does look like System RPL can be a bit dangerous in the wrong hands.
11-03-2020, 05:31 PM
The 50g was sold from 2006 - 2015, so that would make yours a 2010 build.

There's a bit more information here about an intermediate format:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/collect.htm#numbers

In the latest units, the initial 3-letter code stands for which factory; sometimes the country is clear, other times not. Also, the final 4-5 digits represent the unit made during the indicated week, but it's not a simple count, as both letters and numbers are used, sometimes only letters.

--Bob Prosperi
11-03-2020, 05:33 PM
I am one ordinary boy that don't like RPN! :-)
RPN is tolerated by me.

I prefer algebraic mode, for daily calculus.

During my college times I went to the exams with HP48 and another calculator (Casio FX-5000F) used for simple calculus.

(11-02-2020 04:46 PM)Joyous Monkey Wrote:  Hello everyone.

I'm afraid I came rather late to the party, only becoming aware of RPN earlier this year, but I adore the way it makes you be the driver of your own car, rather than phoning for an algebraic taxi, so to speak.

Today my still boxed and sealed HP50g arrived. I can't tell how old it is from the serial number, but it is in pristine condition and works fine. I believe the seller still has a few more of these in stock, if anyone is interested. It's a UK shop called calculatorsdirect.co.uk and costs 175.20 GBP including VAT. It's the Chinese made version.

The HP50g is the nearest thing to a dream come true for me: an RPN calculator that has Forth. RPL does seem to be ever so similar to Forth, and I anticipate much enjoyment in learning this particular language.

Best regards,
Rich

Carlos - Brazil
Time Zone: GMT -3
http://area48.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)