Fix-it Forum?
06-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Fix-it Forum?
The latest news I had heard, Randy at FixThatCalc is going to finish up what work he has and then retire, due to health problems.

That is a tragic loss in more ways than I can express. My little Company depends on reliable HP-42S calcs to function efficiently; without Randy's repair skills we would have crashed and burned long ago.

There will be a critical need for a specialized Fix-it Forum here; I can't foresee anyone stepping in to do Randy's work.[/i]

We look for things. Things we need. Things that make us go.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2014, 01:24 PM
RE: Fix-it Forum?
(06-13-2014 12:25 PM)rattinox Wrote:  The latest news I had heard, Randy at FixThatCalc is going to finish up what work he has and then retire, due to health problems.

There will be a critical need for a specialized Fix-it Forum here

I'm very sorry to hear that about Randy, I wish him the best. He's been an incredible help to so many people both with his business and here in the General forum (and its predecessor).

There are many threads about calculator repair in this forum and always have been; there are also a good number of articles about HP calculator repair here. Is there some reason why you feel we need to add a new "Fix-it Forum" other than a possible increase in the number of repair-oriented threads?

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-13-2014, 01:58 PM
I concur wishing Randy all the best. And I concur voting for a repair subforum here - IMHO it will be more useful in medium range than some subfora devoted to individual calculator models.

d:-)
06-13-2014, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 02:39 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(06-13-2014 12:25 PM)rattinox Wrote:  That is a tragic loss in more ways than I can express. My little Company depends on reliable HP-42S calcs to function efficiently; without Randy's repair skills we would have crashed and burned long ago.
[/i]

I too wish Randy the best and I really enjoy reading him here.

But, please excuse me, how's that your entire business relies on efficient HP-42S?
Isn't it possible to translate your programs for different calculators, or using on-calc emulators, like those from Hrastprogrammer for example, or emulators running on Android, Apple and PC platforms?

Sorry if I've been too nosy...

That said I would rather see all repair related articles filed under the Articles section than to open another Forum section. Surely they would need to be edited though...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
06-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Don't forget about Bruce Larrabee's service: http://www.vintagecalculatorrepair.com/index.php

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
06-13-2014, 10:00 PM
I thank you, Garth!

It was my understanding that FixThatCalc was the only (reasonable) game in town. That would have been quite a vacuum to fill.

I was using a bit of hyperbole about the -42S, but not much. From a Tool & Die Machinist's perspective, especially in aerospace work, the 42S has just the right combination of functions and quickly accessible memories, with an ideal size. What really sets it apart is it's reliability in a machining environment, though this would no doubt prove to be true of most of HP's calculators. My own -42S has been doused with many different solvents and chemicals and emerged none the worse for wear. It seems to shrug off severe shocks that would instantly kill any other calc, and seems indifferent to change in temp. In 35 years, I've never seen another calculator survive so much use and abuse. I think I speak for the majority of aerospace/medical techs about HP calcs in general.

I fully intend to be buried with my 42S........ Smile)

We look for things. Things we need. Things that make us go.
06-27-2014, 07:49 AM
I think that a Fix-it Forum is a great idea. With such a forum we could gather all relevant repairing tips and it would also be much easier to search for the help that we need. Besides, it is always interesting and inspiring to read about how one can repair and take care of our highly valued vintage HP calculators.
06-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Did Geoff Quickfall ever finish and publish his book on "A Guide for the Restoration of Hewlett Packard Calculators"?

That looked like the ultimate book on how to fix HP Calculators.

I may have missed his announcement on publishing it. If so, can someone give me a like to where I can buy a copy?

If not, does anyone know when he might be making it available to buy?

Okay - just saw his reference in a May post where he's working on the last chapter.

So should be coming soon.

Thanks,

Bill
06-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Let's keep our fingers crossed! But I won't recommend holding our breath.

d:-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)