I like programming so much which is better dm42/dm41cx
01-05-2021, 10:28 PM
I like programming so much which is better dm42/dm41cx
I like RPN so much that I wonder which is better DM42 or DM41x?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2021, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2021 11:48 PM by Peet.)
RE: I like programming so much which is better dm42/dm41cx
(01-05-2021 10:28 PM)tom234 Wrote:  I like RPN so much that I wonder which is better DM42 or DM41x?

Neither of them. It's like to own a motorcycle or a boat.

Look here: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-15793.html
01-06-2021, 01:33 AM
I like ice cream so much I wonder which is better chocolate or vanilla?

Good luck getting an answer everyone will agree with Smile

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
01-06-2021, 03:50 AM
If you prefer to write your own RPN programs, the DM42 is probably a better choice, as the 42S is more advanced, and the DM42 is faster and far more accurate.

If you prefer to use the vast amount of already written software in modules and published programs, the DM41X is probably a better choice.

But even those recommendations are over-simplified.

My solution - a scoop of each flavor please. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
01-06-2021, 05:16 AM
(01-05-2021 10:28 PM)tom234 Wrote:  I like RPN so much that I wonder which is better DM42 or DM41x?

The title of your thread begins with "I like programming so much", not "I like using other people's programs so much".

With that proviso, the DM42 is far better for writing programs as it is much faster, computes with 34-digit precision and +-6,144 exponents, includes handling of real/complex matrices and full complex numbers support, has named variables besides numbered storage registers, menus, a solver, integration, a much larger alpha register, local variables which permits recursion to 1024 levels deep, plus pixel-addressable graphics, etc., etc., etc.

In short: for programming purposes there's no comparison, it's not like comparing apples to oranges but apples to the orange's seeds.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2021, 06:17 AM
The WP 34S is better for many short programs. It lacks the memory space for large programs but has a richer instruction set.
01-06-2021, 04:34 PM
I also agree that the 42 is probably a better fit if you don't already have specific attachments to the 41 platform (module ROMs, synthetic and ML programming, etc.). There are a handful of things where I feel the 41 is a little bit better, but for the most part, the 42 has more functionality and mainstream appeal.
01-06-2021, 08:07 PM
As a relative newcomer to the joys of RPN programming, I find that the DM42's menu-driven system is a bit easier as you don't need to remember or look up the functions. Also, entering things like "x<=y" is a bit awkward on the DM41X. Finally, the segment display of the 41X takes a bit of getting used to for some symbols, such as arrows and inequalities.

Brian

hp11c, hp12c, hp32s, hp35s, hpPrime, DM15L, DM16L, DM42, DM41X
01-07-2021, 01:45 AM
(01-06-2021 08:07 PM)Brian15L Wrote:  As a relative newcomer to the joys of RPN programming, I find that the DM42's menu-driven system is a bit easier as you don't need to remember or look up the functions. Also, entering things like "x<=y" is a bit awkward on the DM41X. Finally, the segment display of the 41X takes a bit of getting used to for some symbols, such as arrows and inequalities.

I don't disagree with Brian overall, but [shift] [+] seems pretty easy to me.... Smile

--Bob Prosperi
02-22-2021, 09:31 PM
I got a CAS Ti and its a piece of poo....it doesn't even have calculus functions not even Laplace its a buy it modular form of high school extortion from after market providers.

Well decided on DM42 just for fun....but Prime is looking pretty good...I have a tendency to make the right decision the first time TY HP.
02-23-2021, 06:11 AM
(02-22-2021 09:31 PM)tom234 Wrote:  I got a CAS Ti and its a piece of poo....it doesn't even have calculus functions not even Laplace its a buy it modular form of high school extortion from after market providers.

Well decided on DM42 just for fun....but Prime is looking pretty good...I have a tendency to make the right decision the first time TY HP.

I hope you are aware that the DM42 simulates an HP 42s. It is not a graphing calculator, doesn't know about functions or CAS and brings only a very basic set of functions that can be used to build higher level programs. In terms of features it has probably far less than your "CAS Ti".
08-03-2021, 06:13 PM
Well, got a 35s 2007 in 2021 days ago. I thought for 59/95$ it was a great buy a teaching and learning moment for or RPN.
08-04-2021, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 11:04 AM by Vincent Weber.)
(01-06-2021 05:16 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  

The title of your thread begins with "I like programming so much", not "I like using other people's programs so much".

With that proviso, the DM42 is far better for writing programs as it is much faster, computes with 34-digit precision and +-6,144 exponents, includes handling of real/complex matrices and full complex numbers support, has named variables besides numbered storage registers, menus, a solver, integration, a much larger alpha register, local variables which permits recursion to 1024 levels deep, plus pixel-addressable graphics, etc., etc., etc.

In short: for programming purposes there's no comparison, it's not like comparing apples to oranges but apples to the orange's seeds.

V.
Hi Valentin,

This makes me think of something. I read (with great interest as usual) the feature request document you wrote to enhance Free42 (or rather Plus42 as it will be).

One of your suggestions has already been
taken into account (the X?NN 41cx feature). Another big one is on the way (equations a la 35S, with stack manipulation inside them and the possibility of using them in RPN programs).
Most of the other suggestions are math features that Thomas may consider at some point.

But there is one suggestion that I don't understand: you request the ability to use the top 2 rows as shortcuts for registers 01...10, as in the 41. But this is impossible in the 42S context, because the top row is already used to recall existing named variables (which are first-class citizens in the 42S context, more than numbered registers which are the only variables available on the 41). There is no way to change that unless you break Thomas's golden rule: when you add a feature, never disrupt the letter or spirit of the original 42S behaviour.

What do you think ?

Cheers,

Vincent

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)