Why are the HP Prime and HP-35s so unpopular?
03-04-2021, 07:39 PM
RE: Why are the HP Prime and HP-35s so unpopular?
...and a photo of the top half of a 38G+ appeared on the cover of HPCC's Datafile issue V21N6 (Nov/Dec 2002), with a short blurb by Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz on page 38 inside, under "Cancelled Calcs, Again". Wlodek described the machine as one which Jean-Yves Avenard (of HP at the time) designed in his spare time. A few units apparently had been built, but it was superseded by the 39G and 40G shortly thereafter. I believe this unit on the cover was (and still is?) Bruce Horrocks' machine, which I also got to photograph on the second day (22 Sept 2002) of HPCC's 2002 anniversary conference in London.

Jake
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2021, 10:35 PM
(03-04-2021 02:50 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(03-04-2021 02:30 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  It's not infinite nor NaN rarity as one was sold on eB in December 2020. According to the seller feedback best offer was accepted.

Now I saw it twice! Smile

I saw one on eBay several years ago, and not recognizing the "+" (I though it may be a fake), I went to search the Forums for info, whereupon I found out it was real and rare, so I went back to get it and it was just sold. Missed it by that much!!

I did not see the one in December, and I've been told that several 38G+ machines have been listed in the past simply as "38G", so now I look at all of the 38G listings to see if I could ever get lucky again.

--Bob Prosperi
03-04-2021, 11:11 PM
(03-04-2021 10:35 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(03-04-2021 02:50 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Now I saw it twice! :)

I saw one on eBay several years ago, and not recognizing the "+" (I though it may be a fake), I went to search the Forums for info, whereupon I found out it was real and rare, so I went back to get it and it was just sold. Missed it by that much!!

I did not see the one in December, and I've been told that several 38G+ machines have been listed in the past simply as "38G", so now I look at all of the 38G listings to see if I could ever get lucky again.

Yes, it was 15 years ago or so. And that one was listed as a regular 38G. I think that the seller did not admit buyers from abroad.
And you're not alone: since then I always check if a '+' is present beside the 'G'... :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2021, 03:18 AM
Hello,

I can't help myself, but I like the HP-35s.

It has bugs, but I find not only one, if I use and program it.
So I have already forget the bugs.

What I like:

It has a a really big and competent printed manual. I think it's the last HP with a big manual. And no, I don't like PDFs and no I have no printer, tablets and not using my small smartphone.

It has a memory storage big enough for many small programs.

The HP-35s is not huge, has a nice key layout and complex numbers are not my biggest problems. The complex results are ok for me.

I have a Casio FX-991de plus, TI-30X Pro and a HP 300s+ too.

But the Casio as all Casio has like the HP PRIME not combined modes (like COMP and STAT etc), but HP-35s and the TI doesn't know this different modes. You must not switch and forget the input stack.

If I want RPN I'm using HP-35S and if I think AOS is easier, I'm using TI.

And Sorry, but the HP 300s+ seems to me as a Casio clone (same key layout and mode menu) and is no my choice.

Bye
Berndpr

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)