TI-59 card reader restoration
02-14-2021, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2021 07:57 PM by albertofenini.)
TI-59 card reader restoration
Hi everyone,

we are trying to restore the card reader of three TI-59s
all of them are made in Europe (Holland), two in 1978 and one in 1979

the one made in 1979 reads and writes almost all of the times, even multi sided
cards and cards that are coming from other units

one of the unit from 1978 has a faint display, and reads and writes sometimes
but can also read cards from recorded on the unit made in 1979

the last one, also made in 1978 we broke the card reader while trying to take the motor
out from the assembly in order to measure the roller size (inner and outer diameter)
so we don't know if it would have been able to read and/or write

however, all of them looks different from the ones pictured in the various documents
available on the internet where a card reader restoration is shown.

just to make myself clear, the ones shown on internet have the motor groups screwed to
the card reader assembly and 6 tiny screws which keep a carter fixed t the motor assembly
the two tiny screws at the most left should keep the motor

ours, have the motor assembly riveted (copper rivet) to the card reader assembly
and only 4 tiny screws to keep the carter coupled with the motor assembly

One more question, has anyone tried to use o-ring or silicon tubes to replace the gummy wheel ?
And if yes, what are the specs ?

Any hint on howe to repair the broken contact will also be appreciated (is one of the contact spring)

Pictures here : TI-59 card reader restoration

Edoardo & Alberto
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2021, 10:42 PM
RE: TI-59 card reader restoration
Hi,

I have some experience using the ti59 cardreader repair kit available on eBay. It is quite expensive, too expensive in my opinion, but it works well.

Kees.
02-14-2021, 10:48 PM
hi Kees
I know that kit and I find it good myself
However, I first need to understand how to remove the motor assembly from the card reader assembly
Even in the kit you mention the motor assembly is secured to the card reader chassis with a a screw and not with a rivet like ours ...

(02-14-2021 10:42 PM)Kees Bouw Wrote:  Hi,

I have some experience using the ti59 cardreader repair kit available on eBay. It is quite expensive, too expensive in my opinion, but it works well.

Kees.

Edoardo & Alberto
02-15-2021, 10:29 PM
(02-14-2021 10:48 PM)albertofenini Wrote:  Even in the kit you mention the motor assembly is secured to the card reader chassis with a a screw and not with a rivet like ours ...

I think you can just remove the rivet and replace it with a screw afterwards.
08-22-2022, 09:36 PM
(02-14-2021 07:55 PM)albertofenini Wrote:  Hi everyone,

we are trying to restore the card reader of three TI-59s
all of them are made in Europe (Holland), two in 1978 and one in 1979
[...]
the last one, also made in 1978 we broke the card reader while trying to take the motor
out from the assembly in order to measure the roller size (inner and outer diameter)
so we don't know if it would have been able to read and/or write

Hi,

I have a US-made TI-59 (from 1978) and it has the usual arrangement with a screw holding the gear box secured to the plastic card reader frame. The motor is secured by two flat head screws to the gear box and the gear box is held together with 4 flat-head screws.

I have tried to use silicone tubing (4mm ID/8mm OD) but (a) it slips and (b) IMO its slightly oversized. I have posted another article on this forum asking for the dimensions of the capstan wheel, but so far no replies.

Did you have any success?

Thanks

Vassilis

http://www.series80.org

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)