USB41 while upgrading the 41CL
02-19-2021, 10:55 PM
USB41 while upgrading the 41CL
I confess, forgive me for not searching thoroughly on the forum, there is probably already an answer: is it possible to use as a USB41 power supply when upgrading the 41cl?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2021, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2021 12:22 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
RE: USB41 while upgrading the 41CL
(02-19-2021 10:55 PM)aurelio Wrote:  I confess, forgive me for not searching thoroughly on the forum, there is probably already an answer: is it possible to use as a USB41 power supply when upgrading the 41cl?
I do not see why not, still, the 41CL is very well protected against power failure, the most you can temporary loose is a Flash sector (8x4K) that will be re-flashed when the update is restarted again.
The only time you must have good battery is when you update the OS sector which is protected by default, so the danger is minimal at best.
02-20-2021, 09:34 PM
Thank-you Sylvain, while the CL's update is running I'm rereading the old posts and really I should have done it it before to ask, I must flash my own memory to get an update for myself Smile

(10-29-2017 08:14 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  
(10-29-2017 07:41 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Of course this will depend on how many ROM images need to be updated in each machine, however you can definitely get at least 2-3 complete updates, even for CL units from very early on.

I have done several update cylces with >200 ROM images to be updated on a single set of batteries, and then used it often for weeks after that, all on one set of batteries.

I keep a new set of 4xN batteries ready nearby my work area, but I would not expect to need them for just upgrading 2 machines.

You might even want to hook up your 41CL via a USB power module to a permanent power source during update. The idea is by Diego Diaz. Find the schematics to build one here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...722#183722 You will need a doner HP-module for it.
Juergen
02-23-2021, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2021 05:41 PM by burkhard.)
It's been a while since I've updated my 41CL's flash (shame!), but I believe the last few times I've done it, I indeed used my USB-41 as an additional power supply. I'm pretty sure it works fine.
02-24-2021, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 08:27 PM by aurelio.)
(02-23-2021 05:14 PM)burkhard Wrote:  It's been a while since I've updated my 41CL's flash (shame!), but I believe the last few times I've done it, I indeed used my USB-41 as an additional power supply. I'm pretty sure it works fine.
I've done this time the calculators' upgrade without the extra power, because I got trouble while doing the 41CL basic setup and particularly PLUG(ging)1L the YFNX... Smile I got a message... , something like "the port you are trying yo use is already busy" .. of course in a shorter form . Maybe I should have just swapped the USB41 port , or erased the module before to use it like a simple power source to avoid whatever conflict ..
I'll try it forward, I have been so lazy this time in avoiding the "extra job" requested to erase the module and rewrite it after the upgrade Smile
02-24-2021, 09:18 PM
(02-24-2021 08:22 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Maybe I should have just swapped the USB41 port , or erased the module before to use it like a simple power source to avoid whatever conflict ..
Hein ? ... ok ... I thought from the beginning that you were talking about using a Power-41 module but with your last comment I just realized that is was about the USB-41 module, DOH!
I have to check to see if the USB-41 module is providing power to the calculator, not sure about that, actually I would expect it would not.

In any case, I never use any external power source when I update my 41CL's and I never got any problem.
I even did an update with depleted cells just to test the scenario, for sure I temporary lost a Flash sector but as soon that I put back recharged cells and restarted the update process, the Flash sector got reprogrammed correctly.

Sylvain
02-24-2021, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 09:44 PM by aurelio.)
(02-24-2021 09:18 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 08:22 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Maybe I should have just swapped the USB41 port , or erased the module before to use it like a simple power source to avoid whatever conflict ..
Hein ? ... ok ... I thought from the beginning that you were talking about using a Power-41 module but with your last comment I just realized that is was about the USB-41 module, DOH!
I have to check to see if the USB-41 module is providing power to the calculator, not sure about that, actually I would expect it would not.

In any case, I never use any external power source when I update my 41CL's and I never got any problem.
I even did an update with depleted cells just to test the scenario, for sure I temporary lost a Flash sector but as soon that I put back recharged cells and restarted the update process, the Flash sector got reprogrammed correctly.

Sylvain
Sylvain thank you once more for your help as always, i can say just that the calculator + the USB-41 module without cells or batteries works perfecltly, just shows the BAT annoucer .
I think that Diego explained it somewhere time ago if I correcltly remember,

Edit:

I checked back in the Forum:

"-USB-41 can provide power undefinitely without batteries inserted, even when running a program continuously (tested for more the 24 hours) provided no other devices are connected."

you can find it here

PS: Diego, thanks Smile
02-24-2021, 10:04 PM
(02-24-2021 09:28 PM)aurelio Wrote:  "-USB-41 can provide power undefinitely without batteries inserted, even when running a program continuously (tested for more the 24 hours) provided no other devices are connected."
you can find it here
I had found the post but did not read it to the end, I now stand corrected! Thank you Aurelio. Cool

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)