HP 48SX invalid data message
02-24-2021, 03:26 AM
HP 48SX invalid data message
Hi, my trusty and much loved HP 48SX hadn't been used for a while, and now the 128K card (#82215A) has a problem. The battery has died, so I guess the data has been corrupted and on switch on, the calculator says 'Invalid card data'. I don't know if this is recoverable, and I suspect my data is long gone, but can the card be resurrected? I tried PINIT, but that isn't valid on the 48SX it seems. Any advice would be welcome - note to self - use it more often, it's great.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2021, 03:52 PM
RE: HP 48SX invalid data message
On the 48SX, initialize memory by storing a value to a variable in the port then purging the variable. Creating a variable for the first time triggers the initialization process.

:1:A
STO
:1:A
PURGE

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
02-24-2021, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2021 02:46 PM by Giuseppe Donnini.)
Exactly, that’s the classic approach.

Another technique, which usually requires less typing, consists in merging the port and then freeing it again:

n MERGE
{} n FREE

where n is the number of the port (1 or 2) in which you have put the card.

Here is some theoretical background information on this method by Bill Wickes himself:

(The following passage is quoted from his book HP 48 Insights - I. Principles and Programming, p. 105. A copy of the whole book is available on Eric Rechlin’s new webpage dedicated to HP literature.)

When you plug a memory card into either HP 48SX card slot and turn the calculator on, the calculator checks the card to determine whether the card memory contains a valid sequence of libraries and port variables. When the HP 48 cannot recognize the card contents, the message Invalid Card Data is displayed. If the card is ROM, the card is not usable in the HP 48, and should be removed. If the card contains RAM, you can ignore the message—the first attempt to merge the card memory or store a library or port variable there will organize its memory properly, and prevent further Invalid Card Data errors.

The PINIT command was added in the HP-48GX because one single card could now hold up to 32 ports, every single one of which must be separately initialized. Without PINIT, the annoying message would therefore persist until the user manually stores some random stuff in each port (note that my alternative technique wouldn’t work in this case, because a bankswitching card would only work in port 2, and port 2 cannot be merged on the GX). With PINIT this can be done in one go.
02-25-2021, 03:10 AM
Many thanks to both mfleming and Guiseppe for the reply. I had almost give up so thank you. Of
course my first attempt at both your fixes failed because I had (unknowingly) set the write protect swtich ON - oops. But that was quickly fixed and I now have a working RAM card again.

Actually, I have the Insights books, and found the page 105 description. It's been a long time since I read these, but they and the original manuals are the best manuals I've ever read.

This machine seems timeless, so it will now get more use again - thanks guys.
Brian

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)