key axel/pivot point repair options (Spice)
02-25-2021, 12:46 AM
key axel/pivot point repair options (Spice)
Is there any way to fix a key with a broken axel / pivot point?

A couple of keys weren't sitting flat on a 32E I just got going and one doesn't function and I pulled the board out and checked the keyboard and one side has snapped off as per attached photo.

Can this be glued and will it hold?

What type of glue as I've just been told superglue is not suitable?

Or is the only option a donor key (I don't have another 32E and all the Spice keyboards have different functions on the keys)?

TIA, dmh

[Image: caUZaowYuL]

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2021, 03:55 AM
RE: key axel/pivot point repair options (Spice)
(02-25-2021 12:46 AM)dmh Wrote:  Is there any way to fix a key with a broken axel / pivot point?

A couple of keys weren't sitting flat on a 32E I just got going and one doesn't function and I pulled the board out and checked the keyboard and one side has snapped off as per attached photo.

Or is the only option a donor key (I don't have another 32E and all the Spice keyboards have different functions on the keys)?

TIA, dmh

I have a complete set of intact keys for a 38E. If the same key from a 38 will work, I'm happy to send it to you. Worst case, maybe use the closest match key and paint the proper legend on the key face.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
02-25-2021, 04:17 AM
If you have a drill press, it might be possible to drill a narrow hole through the pivot and add a metal spring. If not, I'm not sure what glue to use.

Pauli
02-25-2021, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2021 04:23 AM by dmh.)
(02-25-2021 03:55 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-25-2021 12:46 AM)dmh Wrote:  Is there any way to fix a key with a broken axel / pivot point?

TIA, dmh

I have a complete set of intact keys for a 38E. If the same key from a 38 will work, I'm happy to send it to you. Worst case, maybe use the closest match key and paint the proper legend on the key face.

That sounds great - thank you! How much would postage be to Melbourne, Australia? Is it just the keys (see below)?

There must be lots of spare parts from non-working units scattered all around the world. Would be good to be able to locate and pass on to salvage some of them.

Of course the keys are different but the main function ('0' and '.') is the most important. Not sure about my painting skills at that size though :-).

I took the loose plastic bits out and put it together again to see if they were getting in the way and the '0' still doesn't work ('.' does) so there's a problem with the actual keyboard activation button for '0' - not sure what to do/try. The 38E appears to have the exact same keyboard layout so I'm thinking it might work also? Does anyone know? So transplant the whole keyboard button layer.

02-21-2022, 07:46 AM
I still have this 32E with 2 broken keys and am just checking if anyone has a dead 32E they can spare some parts from?

Looking for keys zero '0' and dot '.'.

Zero isn't working at all with the broken key but dot is (but feels terrible) so I'm hoping there's no other issues.

It's the last scientific Spice I have to get a complete working set so keen to get it going.

If I can't get 32E keys I guess I will take up the offer for keys from another Spice model (would need to ship to Melbourne, Australia).

Thanks

02-21-2022, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2022 08:16 AM by teenix.)
It will be fiddly, but you might be able to get some good quality plastic glue and after cleaning up the break, attach some plastic rod of the same size.

I'm not sure but maybe there is not much pressure applied to this part of the key.

I think this part is mainly there to keep the key squarely in position and able to rotate. Most of the force would be directly down from finger pressure, although I guess some force on the pivot point will be present.

Maybe an analogy would be to have your palm flat on a table, rest a pencil at right angles across a finger with one end sticking out an inch or two, and press the very end of the pencil down as hard as you like. There will be very little pressure on the pivot across your finger.

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)