ID this calculator
03-12-2021, 02:18 PM
ID this calculator
For the first time in history, one of those facebook click-bait stories generated a useful ad, although not for the reason they wanted. The picture contains an HP calculator! (I think).

What is this calculator? It looks a lot like a 10Bii, but there are noticeable differences.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2021, 02:52 PM
RE: ID this calculator
What's the differences you see? I think it is an HP 10Bii - not the plus model you often find when you search for HP 10Bii.

https://www.amazon.com/HEW2716570-HP-10b...B0020DKHRQ
03-12-2021, 03:15 PM
(03-12-2021 02:18 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  What is this calculator? It looks a lot like a 10Bii, but there are noticeable differences.

I think it is a 10Bii (which has a different keyboard than the 10bii+, the "+" has a much busier keyboard/bezel). Which differences do you see?

I'd guess that this is actually some art from an HP ad; note that the colors are much brighter in the add than on a real device, common tactics in their ads.

--Bob Prosperi
03-12-2021, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2021 07:02 PM by aurelio.)
(03-12-2021 03:15 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I'd guess that this is actually some art from an HP ad; note that the colors are much brighter in the add than on a real device, common tactics in their ads.

Bob, how can we disagree with you? you always hit the center of the target Smile but am I wrong saying that in the ads of the classics, like the HP35 or the HP70 the colours (still today so bright and vivid despite of the age) there was non need of that (and don't tell me not just'cause photoshop wasn't available yet) Smile
03-12-2021, 06:50 PM
It looks like a 10Bii to me, but I am not that familiar with it very much.

More impressive is where did they get a left-handed hand model? My son, who is left-handed, desperately wanted to do some hand modeling a few years back (mostly for the novelty, I think) but foolishly had a notable mishap involving a box cutter and some fingers the night before the audition. He still is not a hand model, and apparently has inherited some of my life-long skills and talents.
03-12-2021, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2021 07:36 PM by aurelio.)
(03-12-2021 06:50 PM)DanM Wrote:  It looks like a 10Bii to me, but I am not that familiar with it very much.

More impressive is where did they get a left-handed hand model? My son, who is left-handed, desperately wanted to do some hand modeling a few years back (mostly for the novelty, I think) but foolishly had a notable mishap involving a box cutter and some fingers the night before the audition. He still is not a hand model, and apparently has inherited some of my life-long skills and talents.
DanM, I could be wrong but it seems to be the same regular handed model displayed on the link by AndiGer
03-12-2021, 07:54 PM
(03-12-2021 02:52 PM)AndiGer Wrote:  What's the differences you see? I think it is an HP 10Bii - not the plus model you often find when you search for HP 10Bii.
Hmm. Operator error I guess. I thought I looked at a 10bii and it didn't match. My mistake. Thanks everyone!
03-12-2021, 08:01 PM
The 10bII (note the capitalization) had two different industrial designs, one from the ACO era and one from the post-ACO era; the later industrial design was retained for the 10bII+. This is the later design.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-13-2021, 05:45 AM
(03-12-2021 08:01 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  The 10bII (note the capitalization) had two different industrial designs, one from the ACO era and one from the post-ACO era; the later industrial design was retained for the 10bII+. This is the later design.

Forgive me all for my lack of knowledge, especially in calculators and english acronyma. Yesterday I've surfed on the web looking for ACO, and found here a lot of explanations, but probably not the right one. Erich can you help me, please, I'm quite lost
03-13-2021, 07:50 AM
(03-13-2021 05:45 AM)aurelio Wrote:  
(03-12-2021 08:01 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  The 10bII (note the capitalization) had two different industrial designs, one from the ACO era and one from the post-ACO era; the later industrial design was retained for the 10bII+. This is the later design.

Forgive me all for my lack of knowledge, especially in calculators and english acronyma. Yesterday I've surfed on the web looking for ACO, and found here a lot of explanations, but probably not the right one. Erich can you help me, please, I'm quite lost

In this case ACO stands for HP's Australian Calculator Operation. Here is a bit of background.

https://www.hpcalc.org/goodbyeaco.php
03-13-2021, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2021 06:32 AM by aurelio.)
Thank-you Steve, how much I missed

edit : wrog werb used
03-13-2021, 08:05 PM
(03-12-2021 07:36 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(03-12-2021 06:50 PM)DanM Wrote:  It looks like a 10Bii to me, but I am not that familiar with it very much.

DanM, I could be wrong but it seems to be the same regular handed model displayed on the link by AndiGer

I think he is referring to the person holding the pencil - NOT the calculator!
03-14-2021, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2021 12:18 AM by aurelio.)
(03-13-2021 08:05 PM)Dave Shaffer Wrote:  
(03-12-2021 07:36 PM)aurelio Wrote:  DanM, I could be wrong but it seems to be the same regular handed model displayed on the link by AndiGer

I think he is referring to the person holding the pencil - NOT the calculator!

I'm agree with you, Dave, let me say just that when checking a list I employ a calculator, I 'm used to hold the pencil with the left hand, for this reason I gave not the right importance to that particular, focused on the calculator

But I should better have read what David wrote, opening the thread "one of those facebook click-bait stories generated a useful ad, although not for the reason they wanted" Smile

Infact the main subject in the picture, sure is not the calculator
03-14-2021, 09:37 AM
(03-12-2021 03:15 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I'd guess that this is actually some art from an HP ad; note that the colors are much brighter in the add than on a real device, common tactics in their ads.

The language in the receipt appears to be Polish (wanilia, serek). Also, “DECIMAL POINT IS COMMA”. I may be wrong, but it doesn’t look like an HP ad to me.
03-14-2021, 10:10 AM
(03-14-2021 09:37 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Also, “DECIMAL POINT IS COMMA”.

;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
03-14-2021, 12:48 PM
(03-14-2021 09:37 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  

The language in the receipt appears to be Polish (wanilia, serek). Also, “DECIMAL POINT IS COMMA”. I may be wrong, but it doesn’t look like an HP ad to me.

I noted that it's not English and the commas, but did not track it down to Polish. Surely there were ads in Europe too, no?

But I agree if it was an ad, it's not a very effective one. If not an ad, what would you think it's from? Possibly a photo still from a left-handed hand model's portfolio?

--Bob Prosperi
03-14-2021, 01:15 PM
(03-14-2021 12:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If not an ad, what would you think it's from? Possibly a photo still from a left-handed hand model's portfolio?

I don't think it's an ad, rather a stock image. If you do a Google reverse image search on this picture you'll find it used on a lot of Web sites and articles about money or finance.
03-14-2021, 02:47 PM
(03-14-2021 01:15 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(03-14-2021 12:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If not an ad, what would you think it's from? Possibly a photo still from a left-handed hand model's portfolio?

I don't think it's an ad, rather a stock image. If you do a Google reverse image search on this picture you'll find it used on a lot of Web sites and articles about money or finance.
What I've actually done sailing backwards the path of the pic, but I've not found a connection when exploring "finance" and "money"
03-14-2021, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2021 03:29 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(03-14-2021 12:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(03-14-2021 09:37 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  The language in the receipt appears to be Polish (wanilia, serek). Also, “DECIMAL POINT IS COMMA”. I may be wrong, but it doesn’t look like an HP ad to me.

I noted that it's not English and the commas, but did not track it down to Polish. Surely there were ads in Europe too, no?

Sure there were HP ads everywhere and in every language, but checking a supermarket receipt doesn’t seem to be a remarkable thing to do on a financial calculator. I used to do that in my head, missing the total balance by a tiny amount (I would round 1.29 to 1.50, 3.19 to 3.00 and so on).

(03-14-2021 12:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  But I agree if it was an ad, it's not a very effective one. If not an ad, what would you think it's from? Possibly a photo still from a left-handed hand model's portfolio?

Didier Lachieze hit the nail on the head, indeed a stock photo. I knew that picture was not unfamiliar to me, it’s income tax time here and now I remember I have seen it before. Here, for instance.
03-14-2021, 03:49 PM
10bII, only in orange/blue instead of green/purple

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)