HP-110 Portable Plus, battery, bad device ROM1L and ROM1H
03-13-2021, 07:21 PM
HP-110 Portable Plus, battery, bad device ROM1L and ROM1H
Four years ago I bought a beautiful HP110 Portable Plus. The seller even gave a one-year warranty. The device worked. But I did not test it intensively. Now the time has come. It still works, but...
The battery is a block battery. It must be replaced. Does anyone have an idea which one I can use for this, now a days? Or can I also replace the block battery with 3 pieces Hawker Cyclon 2.5-2, 0810-0004 ?
The ROM test has shown an error. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this error?
Error message is: Software/memory drawer test. Bad device(s) detected: A - ROM1L ROM1H.

Greetings
Uli

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2021, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2021 08:01 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: HP-110 Portable Plus, battery, bad device ROM1L and ROM1H
Whether you have a block type battery like the PS-628 or the Cyclon 3-cell pack you will need to transfer some of the connecting hardware to the new battery, so which type battery you have will determine which battery you buy. Here're pics of the two battery types for the Portable PLUS.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-41...l#pid37260

So to answer your question, no, you can't use the Cyclon battery pack. The good news is the Powersonic PS-628 is about half the price of the Cyclon. There is a copper strap and a terminal board with the screw terminal connections for the PP that need to be removed and soldered to the new battery's terminals.

The ROM errors are apparently being caused by the Executive Card Manager ROM's. You can try moving the ROM's to different sockets in the ROM Drawer. Unless you're using that software I'd just remove the ROM's.

Dave
03-13-2021, 09:18 PM
Thanks a lot. That helps.

Unfortunately it‘s difficult to get the PS-628 in Europe.

I will test your idea regarding the ROM. Sounds logic.
03-13-2021, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2021 10:26 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(03-13-2021 09:18 PM)Uli Wrote:  Unfortunately it‘s difficult to get the PS-628 in Europe.

This is the same replacement battery as used in the 9114 floppy drive. MTK trading looks to be a distributor for Powersonic in Germany.
https://www.amazon.de/POWERSONIC-PS-670-...B01GOG5AUS

For reference, here's a rebuilt Cyclon pack.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=16zfXJd76Z04O3...CyLcR1j0tD]

And here's a rebuilt block battery.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=1BxoFOV9umQSld...MkFlJ4tnGk] [Image: uc?export=view&id=1QR_8wfCyfbfCj...-R7yXIpTBF] [Image: uc?export=view&id=1pyZgGMI67fTbm...MmB54CEfsy]

Dave
03-13-2021, 11:09 PM
Wow. Very good assembling. And thanks for the hint to MTK. I have just sent an E-Mail to them.
03-15-2021, 06:42 PM
(03-13-2021 11:09 PM)Uli Wrote:  Wow. Very good assembling. And thanks for the hint to MTK. I have just sent an E-Mail to them.

MTK can't deliver the PS-628.
03-15-2021, 09:49 PM
I've no idea if this is available where you are, but I was able to pretty easily modify one of these cyclon battery pacs to use in my Portable Plus:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXCQW1E

--Bob Prosperi
03-15-2021, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2021 11:47 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(03-15-2021 09:49 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I've no idea if this is available where you are, but I was able to pretty easily modify one of these cyclon battery pacs to use in my Portable Plus:

Your Portable PLUS originally had a Cyclon type battery and the connecting hardware. Uli has a block-type battery and it's connecting hardware.

It's not so easy to rebuild a battery pack without the proper connecting hardware.

Where do other folks in Germany get batteries for their 9114 drives and Portable computers?
03-16-2021, 06:06 AM
I have the most success with Amazon (primary) and the Bay (2nd)

Found this Lead Cell Cyclon

I actually looked for this very type for the P-Plus but could not find the right search-words. So thanks for your help.

I have also found batteries for 9114 and 3468 as well as 3421, but it can take some time and it is not always the 100% correct size as the ones needed are out of production. Knowing dimension constraints is required

(03-15-2021 11:20 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(03-15-2021 09:49 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I've no idea if this is available where you are, but I was able to pretty easily modify one of these cyclon battery pacs to use in my Portable Plus:

Your Portable PLUS originally had a Cyclon type battery and the connecting hardware. Uli has a block-type battery and it's connecting hardware.

It's not so easy to rebuild a battery pack without the proper connecting hardware.

Where do other folks in Germany get batteries for their 9114 drives and Portable computers?
03-16-2021, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2021 01:24 PM by Martin Hepperle.)
(03-15-2021 11:20 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  ...

In the past years, I have rebuilt quite a few battery packs for 110s, 9114s, Thinkjets and the like.
In case of lead batteries I used "Hawker EnerSys Cyclon" cells for the Portables (the ones I have were originally equipped with this type) and arbitrary, maintenance-free Pb batteries for the 9114.
I usually measure the dimensions and then try to find the best match in size and capacity.
For example the "Multipower" brand is useable.

It is not necessary to use the same brand (e.g. Panasonic), but the chemistry should be identical. Don't replace a Pb battery with a NiCd, or NiMh, because the charging circuitry is designed for each specific battery type. On the other hand the old charging circuits are rather primitive by todays standards. NiCd can be replaced with NiMh - not perfect, but o.k.

For long life, Pb batteries should never be dis-charged completely, best recharge at about 50% capacity or even earlier. (for the HP 110, recharging at about 60-7ß% is recommended). Regular checking and recharging (e.g. every 2-3 months or so) is recommended.

For practical application it may be better to replace the battery by an external power supply and not connect the charging circuit. This is especially true for the 9914, where the battery capacity is too small for long term usage.

Have a look e.g. at this web site:
https://www.akkuline.de/akku/bleiakkus/6-volt on the second page you will find a "MULTIPOWER BLEIAKKU MP2.8-6P 6,0VOLT 2,8AH" which should fit.
or
https://www.akkuline.de/akku/bleiakkus?p...=24&f=2838
Also, Amazon and auction web sites will bring up such batteries.

Martin
03-16-2021, 06:05 PM

That was my first idea. And I have ordered 3 of these Cyclones. They are available in Germany. They did not arrive yet, but I think they will not fit in my HP 110 Portable Plus. I do need a block battery, really.
03-16-2021, 06:13 PM
(03-16-2021 06:05 PM)Uli Wrote:  

That was my first idea. And I have ordered 3 of these Cyclones. They are available in Germany. They did not arrive yet, but I think they will not fit in my HP 110 Portable Plus. I do need a block battery, really.

These batteries will fit, the issue is the connecting hardware/terminals for the cyclone battery are different from the block battery, so getting one to work with the other is not easy, the h/w would have to be modified. It seems Martin has found a local source for the block batteries, so that is probably the way to go; you can then use the original terminal h/w without modifying it, so it will be usable again the next time you change the battery as well.

--Bob Prosperi
03-16-2021, 06:16 PM
(03-16-2021 01:21 PM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  
(03-15-2021 11:20 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  ...

In the past years, I have rebuilt quite a few battery packs for 110s, 9114s, Thinkjets and the like.
In case of lead batteries I used "Hawker EnerSys Cyclon" cells for the Portables (the ones I have were originally equipped with this type) and arbitrary, maintenance-free Pb batteries for the 9114.
I usually measure the dimensions and then try to find the best match in size and capacity.
For example the "Multipower" brand is useable.

It is not necessary to use the same brand (e.g. Panasonic), but the chemistry should be identical. Don't replace a Pb battery with a NiCd, or NiMh, because the charging circuitry is designed for each specific battery type. On the other hand the old charging circuits are rather primitive by todays standards. NiCd can be replaced with NiMh - not perfect, but o.k.

For long life, Pb batteries should never be dis-charged completely, best recharge at about 50% capacity or even earlier. (for the HP 110, recharging at about 60-7ß% is recommended). Regular checking and recharging (e.g. every 2-3 months or so) is recommended.

For practical application it may be better to replace the battery by an external power supply and not connect the charging circuit. This is especially true for the 9914, where the battery capacity is too small for long term usage.

Have a look e.g. at this web site:
https://www.akkuline.de/akku/bleiakkus/6-volt on the second page you will find a "MULTIPOWER BLEIAKKU MP2.8-6P 6,0VOLT 2,8AH" which should fit.
or
https://www.akkuline.de/akku/bleiakkus?p...=24&f=2838
Also, Amazon and auction web sites will bring up such batteries.

Martin

The "MP2.8-6P 6,0VOLT 2,8AH" has a high of 104 mm, the duct in the HP 110 Portable Plus is 107 mm wide. 3 mm for the poles. Ui-Ui-Ui.Because the battery is so cheap, I want to try it.
03-16-2021, 06:36 PM
Are you interested in the solution of the German IT company where I have bought the Portable some years ago? Look at the picture.

Especially because you all help so intensively, I have now opened the portable completely. I would like to resolve the issue quickly.
Also I just ordered according to the suggestion of Martin the Multipower MP2.8-6 battery 6V 2.8Ah. I think I will get the battery installed.

03-19-2021, 08:55 AM
It's not going to win any beauty awards.
But it works and I am very happy.

Dave, you are absolutely right: MultiPower MP2.8-6P 6,0Volt 2,8Ah fits perfect.

03-19-2021, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2021 07:02 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
Actually it was Martin that identified the Multipower battery.

Good job on the rebuild.

You should be aware that the Portable PLUS is always drawing power from the battery, so you need to monitor the charge and not let the battery fully drain. When not in use I remove the battery.

Dave

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)