can't find "family tree" of Sharp pocket computers
02-02-2024, 03:44 PM
can't find "family tree" of Sharp pocket computers
Hi

Some time ago I came across a web page with a graph or "family tree" of all those Sharp pocket computers of the BASIC era. More or less like http://pocket.free.fr/html/sharp/sharp_e.html but expressed graphically and with little images IIRC. I even have a vague feeling it was linked from this very forum but I may be mistaken. Anyway, I can't find the page any more. Does anyone know the page? Please share the link!

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2024, 03:49 PM
RE: can't find "family tree" of Sharp pocket computers
Never mind. It's http://retropc.net/ohishi/museum/pc.htm. Lost half an hour, couldn't find it, wrote the question above, and only then found it myself in half a minute. Sigh.
02-03-2024, 01:49 AM
https://sharppocketcomputers.com/index.htm
02-03-2024, 09:33 AM
(02-02-2024 03:49 PM)vaklaff Wrote:  Never mind. It's http://retropc.net/ohishi/museum/pc.htm. Lost half an hour, couldn't find it, wrote the question above, and only then found it myself in half a minute. Sigh.

Always works! Great finding though, thanks for sharing. There are linked write-ups for many of the machines.
02-03-2024, 01:27 PM
(02-02-2024 03:49 PM)vaklaff Wrote:  Never mind. It's http://retropc.net/ohishi/museum/pc.htm. Lost half an hour, couldn't find it, wrote the question above, and only then found it myself in half a minute. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing this! I've not seen it before. It is reminiscent (maybe even a copy) of a display I saw in a Sharp office in Nara (outside Osaka) where most of the engineering for these was done. It's an impressively large number of models, far more than most folks assume existed.

--Bob Prosperi
03-08-2024, 06:52 PM
(02-02-2024 03:49 PM)vaklaff Wrote:  Lost half an hour, couldn't find it, wrote the question above, and only then found it myself in half a minute. Sigh.

Baldwin's Third Law of Metafoolishness: a certain percentage of the questions you daily encounter must be asked publicly before you can find the answer yourself, thus ensuring you don't get a big head.

Believe me, I am the poster child for this happening!

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
03-08-2024, 07:58 PM
Something similar:
I was waiting for a back-ordered component for a project at work, so I ordered one myself from a place that had it in stock.

Guess what got put on my desk at the same time it was getting delivered to my house?
03-09-2024, 07:58 PM

This family tree is super nice!

It seems to leave out some older predecessors that are also designated as "PC" models. I believe the first (or one of the first) Sharp "PC" model designations was the Sharp PC-1001, a programmable desk calculator from 1973. The PC-1001 has a Rockwell PPS-4 microprocessor system, one of the first microprocessor systems competing with the 4004. But the PC-8101 was a non-programmable early LED calculator from 1973. I suspect "PC" later became associated with Sharp Pocket Computers, starting with the PC-1200/1201 according to the family tree. But like the PC-1001, the PC-1200 and PC-1300(S) are not BASIC programmables.

- Rob

"I count on old friends" -- HP 71B,Prime|Ti VOY200,Nspire CXII CAS|Casio fx-CG50...|Sharp PC-G850,E500,2500,1500,14xx,13xx,12xx...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2024, 12:09 PM
(03-09-2024 07:58 PM)robve Wrote:  But like the PC-1001, the PC-1200 and PC-1300(S) are not BASIC programmables
Yes, I know, I’m very happy to own a 1200 (classic keystroke) and a 1300 (keystroke but advertised as “minifortran”). Actually that’s how I finally found the page: Wait, what if my memory fails me and the page has more than BASIC machines only? Let’s add these two to the query! And that made it.
03-10-2024, 12:11 PM
(03-08-2024 06:52 PM)johnb Wrote:  Baldwin's Third Law of Metafoolishness: a certain percentage of the questions you daily encounter must be asked publicly before you can find the answer yourself, thus ensuring you don't get a big head.
Very nicely put!
03-10-2024, 12:16 PM
(03-08-2024 07:58 PM)KeithB Wrote:  Something similar:
I was waiting for a back-ordered component for a project at work, so I ordered one myself from a place that had it in stock.

Guess what got put on my desk at the same time it was getting delivered to my house?
Hmm… a suitcase with $25,000,000 you won in a lottery and didn’t know about it?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)