Prime does not turn on after crashed update
12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Prime does not turn on after crashed update
Dear All,

I tried to update the firmware of my Prime according to instructions. The update failed with error and after removing the USB cabel the calculator turned off and could not be turned on again. All attempts with reset, removing the battery, etc. failed. This sounds a lot like the "Bricked my Prime" thread in the old forum posted by Jerry Petrey on 9 Nov 2013, 6:36 p.m. A first call to the German customer service was rather unsuccessfull - the clerk didn't even know what kind of device an HP-Prime is and could not find any information for a device with the given serial number.

Is there anything else I can try to bring it back to life or is a warranty replacement the only way? In the case of the latter, whome should I contact first: HP customer service or the dealer from whom I bought the Prime?

Every hint will be very much appreciated - thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Karl
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2013, 05:06 PM
RE: Prime does not turn on after crashed update
Hold down "SYMB" while powering up the unit. That will get it back into the update mode. Then find the connkit install directory and run the updater.exe program. It should find your update files and begin the process again.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi Tim,

thanks for the very fast answer but alas the trick didn't work: Holding down SYMB and pressing ON didn't produced the expected reaction - the screen remains dark.

Any plan B?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Karl
12-19-2013, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 06:49 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Hold down symb, press the reset button with a pin in the back while continuing to hold down symb. Plugging in a USB cable should power it up (should your battery be dead or something).

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Hi Tim,

you're a genius - it worked! At least the screen came back to life with the message "CodeEntry: 0x0 HP Prime recovery mode V13". I the started the Updater.exe which began transferring the update until it stopped at 58%. The Prime shows now "Error! unknown command: 05" in the line after "recovery mode V13" and Windows showed several time "Unknown USB Device" and the Updater.exe says "Update failed (104)".

What should I do next?

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards

Karl
12-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi Tim,

I'm very happy to report that my Prime is back to normal and updated to version 20131125 v5447 SDK V 0.32.

After the last failed attempt to restart the update, I located the update files and moved them to a temp directory and thereby "convincing" the ConKit to download the update files again. My assumption was that the files may had been corrupted during the download. After that I used your trick with pressing SYMB and RESET again to get the Prime into recovery mode again and started the Updater.exe again. To my relieve it worked and Christmas is saved.

Thank you very much again for your help and I wish you and all Forum Members a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best regards

Karl
03-14-2014, 03:49 AM
Hi all,
My calculator has just stopped too. It just powered down all of the sudden. I was not updating anything and it wasn't plugged in. The battery also indicated 75%.
I tried all the reset options mentioned in this thread to no avail. Is there anything else I can try?
Andrew
03-14-2014, 09:25 PM
(03-14-2014 03:49 AM)ahall Wrote:  Hi all,
My calculator has just stopped too. It just powered down all of the sudden. I was not updating anything and it wasn't plugged in. The battery also indicated 75%.
I tried all the reset options mentioned in this thread to no avail. Is there anything else I can try?
Andrew

I remember to read similar situations in other posts, and I would recommend to do a full battery charge (at least 6 hours) using the official charger to start with.
Then I would try again the above procedures.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-01-2016, 05:21 PM
What if this still happens when updating the calculator to 10077? Can the updater.exe file still be accessed?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2017, 09:08 PM
(12-19-2013 08:18 PM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  Hi Tim,

I'm very happy to report that my Prime is back to normal and updated to version 20131125 v5447 SDK V 0.32.

After the last failed attempt to restart the update, I located the update files and moved them to a temp directory and thereby "convincing" the ConKit to download the update files again. My assumption was that the files may had been corrupted during the download. After that I used your trick with pressing SYMB and RESET again to get the Prime into recovery mode again and started the Updater.exe again. To my relieve it worked and Christmas is saved.

Thank you very much again for your help and I wish you and all Forum Members a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best regards

Karl

Happy to note that this fixed my HP Prime which has been sitting on my shelf since last month as I did not know what to do after the upgrade failed.
Forums are a good thing.

Thx so much.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)