HP 25 new internal power supply
05-01-2021, 12:19 AM
HP 25 new internal power supply
I just obtained an HP 25 with a new style of internal power supply I've never seen before. It's on a daughterboard, and supplies +6, -12 and 4 volts, as the old style does, but has fewer discrete components. It's got a couple of electrolytic caps, and 2 inductor circuits. The calculator chip complement is different, too.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Regards,

Dave

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2021, 03:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2021 03:15 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: HP 25 new internal power supply
There're a couple of HP-25 schematics here.
http://www.hpcc.org/cdroms/schematics5.0.zip

Looks like the batteries have leaked.
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2021, 04:54 AM
(05-01-2021 12:19 AM)Dreato Wrote:  I just obtained an HP 25 with a new style of internal power supply I've never seen before. It's on a daughterboard, and supplies +6, -12 and 4 volts, as the old style does, but has fewer discrete components. It's got a couple of electrolytic caps, and 2 inductor circuits. The calculator chip complement is different, too.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I found this daughterboard power supply also in an HP-21 and HP-29C. It seems that assembly was optimized by producing these boards. As the power supply had many discrete components, I can imagine that automatic assembly was more efficient with this method.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2021, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info and the schematics. I noticed that the LC oscillator is on that board, too.

I think I have problems with this power supply. The voltages are OK, but are noisy. I'll have to remove the daughterboard to checks caps, diodes etc. It looks like this board is soldered to the main board in 5 places. Is this correct?

Thanks again,

Dave
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)