Any interest in a non-HP software library subforum?
05-11-2021, 04:30 PM
Any interest in a non-HP software library subforum?
I know there are plenty of Sharp, Casio, and even TI fans here. Would there be enough interest in adding a software library subforum for all things non-HP?

Thread naming convention would likely mimic what's done with HP, but with the addition of manufacturer. e.g. "(Sharp PC-1211)", "(Casio fx-730P)", "(Monroe Epic 3000)", etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2021, 06:56 PM
RE: Any interest in a non-HP software library subforum?
Yes, I think this would be a good idea. I work a lot with the TI N'spire CX CAS, primarily the App on the PC has as well a computer mode and therefore a much better user interface. Additionally it is better in some areas like 2- and 3-dimensional integrals.
Of course there are other forums like ticalc.org but this forum is much more active and up to date.
Find all posts by this user
05-11-2021, 07:11 PM
Wasn't this once a Museum of HP Calculators?

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
05-11-2021, 08:11 PM
Since this is a forum for HP Calculators, and there are forums where folks can hob-nob about other calculators, I would cast my vote against adding a non-HP software library subform.

smp
05-11-2021, 09:26 PM
I find this museum enjoyable and informative, and I have no objection to being informed about other calculators. Some might worry about the name “museum of HP Calculators”, but then again I often read about the HP Prime on TI Planet.

I can also see some use for a MicroPython/Python calculator forum, covering issues that might apply to more than one calculator.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
05-11-2021, 09:30 PM
(05-11-2021 09:26 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  I find this museum enjoyable and informative, and I have no objection to being informed about other calculators. Some might worry about the name “museum of HP Calculators”, but then again I often read about the HP Prime on TI Planet.

I can also see some use for a MicroPython/Python calculator forum, covering issues that might apply to more than one calculator.

That's a good idea, especially with Python for Prime in the works, and TI prepping the TI-84 Plus CE Python Edition for US release this fall.

The "Not Remotely HP Calculators" forum is certainly appropriate for sharing occasional programs for non-HP machines (and that's where I put them now), but I'm wondering if there's enough interest in such programs to warrant a dedicated subforum so as not to clog up the general discussion area. Stated another way, how annoying are those posts today, and should they be filed elsewhere? Wink
05-12-2021, 12:41 AM
I think the "Not Remotely HP Calculators" Forum is used for that now, plus of course also all the other completely non-calculator topics. Adding the suggested new Sub-Forum would make those separate domains (assuming posters understand and follow those thematic guidelines) but otherwise I think little else would be gained. As it is, I think plenty of folks ignore this entire area, so creating another just makes another area to ignore.

As for me, none of these posts are annoying; indeed many are interesting, including posts on machines I don't own, or have never even heard of. I've actually purchased more than a few I've learned about in such posts, so I'd rather say these are appreciated, but again for me, splitting it out wouldn't help as I tend to read everything.

--Bob Prosperi
05-12-2021, 06:35 PM
(05-11-2021 07:11 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Wasn't this once a Museum of HP Calculators?

Once and future (I hope!)

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
05-13-2021, 12:33 PM
Hello!

(05-11-2021 07:11 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Wasn't this once a Museum of HP Calculators?

Times change. Especially for (young?) people who get interested in (old?) calculators now, it has become very difficult to find any from HP. Apart maybe from the very latest models and the Chinese junk they have been selling under their brand name during the last years.

So I would also welcome the idea to include some non-HP calculator software in these forums. Why not host all enthusiasts of museal calculator under one roof instead of spreading them all over the internet.

Regards
Max
05-13-2021, 01:50 PM
(05-13-2021 12:33 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

Times change. Especially for (young?) people who get interested in (old?) calculators now, it has become very difficult to find any from HP. Apart maybe from the very latest models and the Chinese junk they have been selling under their brand name during the last years.

So I would also welcome the idea to include some non-HP calculator software in these forums. Why not host all enthusiasts of museal calculator under one roof instead of spreading them all over the internet.

Regards
Max

Because I think we would find common interests also besides calculators: what about a car subforum? Sports, politics, religion anyone?
And then what?

I would like to keep things separated and focused.
One can always follow his/her interests even if spread among various sites.
I don't need another portal clogged with all-you-can-eat.

Greetings,
    Massimo

05-13-2021, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2021 02:00 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(05-13-2021 01:50 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I don't need another portal clogged with all-you-can-eat.

Sure, but this is as it is now. We alerady have plenty non-HP-specific software threads in various places of the forum, some of them attracting quite a bit of attention. I don't mind this at all. And grouping all those together in a "non HP software forum" will bring them out of sight from users like yourself who don't want to be bothered with it. What can be wrong about that?

Regards
Max

NB: Unforunately datamath.org (the Ti collectors equivalent to this site here) does not have a forum, otherwise I would frequent that as much as this HP forum.
05-13-2021, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2021 04:17 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
Not being the owner of this site (Hi Dave!) my opinion weights as anybody else's. :)

But I would like to keep it focused on the main interest that grouped all of us here: a Museum of HP calculators. Even if not belonging to a 'museum' discussions related to modern and actual HP model seems appropriate, and keeps us informed and updated on techniques related to later models. I am not a huge fan of the Prime, so I skip that sub-forum, and I am perfectly fine with that. However, apart from the occasional post, I couldn't care less about TIs, CASIOs and the like, especially if recent models.

When online I check what's new on the forum by following the arrows: if it could be possible to only 'subscribe' and have presented those parts of the forum one is interested in I would be ok, since I wouldn't even know there are news on those sub-forums I don't want to follow.

But,of course, I am only a guest and will take whatever comes while there are posts about what I really care about.

Peace&love

Greetings,
    Massimo

05-17-2021, 03:46 AM
At first my vote would be "no" to host software for non-HP machines. But then I realized that for example if people start coding for newRPL, where would those programs belong? Together with the 50g software? But it's not necessarily compatible, and it will also run on several other newRPL machines (39gs/40gs/48gII/Prime G1/PC/Android), some of them non-HP like a PC or Android.

So the answer is not as black and white as it seems. I don't know.
05-17-2021, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2021 03:56 AM by Gamo.)
Sound good

Eventhough those programming stuff thats is not HP related is usually useful in someway or another. Since programs that make from other programming language is a good way for HP user to adapt to or even improve it.

For example: I found some program from the TI manual interesting that I can't find in the HP manual so at lease I can adapt it to work on my HP calculator.

Gamo
05-17-2021, 06:46 AM
(05-17-2021 03:46 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  At first my vote would be "no" to host software for non-HP machines. But then I realized that for example if people start coding for newRPL, where would those programs belong? Together with the 50g software? But it's not necessarily compatible, and it will also run on several other newRPL machines (39gs/40gs/48gII/Prime G1/PC/Android), some of them non-HP like a PC or Android.

So the answer is not as black and white as it seems. I don't know.

Well, it will run on HP hardware, or emulators, so it wouldn't be so borderline in my opinion.
Like Free42, which implemented enhancements and new functions over the standard 42 (and similarly runs on different hardware), I think they both fully pertain to HP codebase.

Greetings,
    Massimo

05-18-2021, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2021 01:03 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(05-17-2021 06:46 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Well, it will run on HP hardware,...

Technically, a Ti-84 emulator will also run on a notebook or tablet from HP. Or a Ti-59 emulator for the HP48series: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/archive/i...-1701.html
How far do we want to take this...
Personally, I would rather care for Ti or Casio software than for "new RPL", but I would not want to have RPL banned from these pages.

Regards
Max
05-18-2021, 01:32 PM
(05-18-2021 12:42 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(05-17-2021 06:46 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Well, it will run on HP hardware,...

Technically, a Ti-84 emulator will also run on a notebook or tablet from HP. Or a Ti-59 emulator for the HP48series: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/archive/i...-1701.html
How far do we want to take this...
Personally, I would rather care for Ti or Casio software than for "new RPL", but I would not want to have RPL banned from these pages.

Don't fool yourself: this is firmware for HP calculators that, possibly, can also be run on emulators. They are based and extend on existing HP calculator's paradigms, instructions, languages.

TIs and Casios can have - and most probably have - their dedicated sites to publish software on.

Greetings,
    Massimo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)