Graphic Calc in 1974?
06-23-2014, 04:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 02:26 PM by Matt Kernal.)
Graphic Calc in 1974?
A few months back, I was watching a TV network that plays old shows from the 60's thru the 80's. I stopped the DVR to take these photos from the crime drama I was watching (Columbo Smile), that aired in 1974 (I verified the year at the closing credits). What stood out to me is what looks to be a graphic calculator in the man's left hand. Obviously it can't be, but what do you think it is?

<<Sorry, I tried uploading the photos multiple times to the forum, but every time I tried to Insert Into Post then Preview Post, they just disappeared. I gave up. This is a mystery for Columbo to solve!>>

Instead, here are Dropbox Links to slightly higher resolution copies than what are allowed in the forum: Pic #1 and Pic #2.

Edit: After receiving some good advice, here's another attempt at attaching the pics to the thread.. It seems to have worked - Thanks Jeff!

Matt

There are three kinds of people: those that can count and those that can't.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2014, 06:20 AM
RE: Graphic Calc in 1974?
(06-23-2014 04:59 AM)Matt Kernal Wrote:  A few months back, I was watching a TV network that plays old shows from the 60's thru the 80's. I stopped the DVR to take these photos from the crime drama I was watching (Columbo Smile), that aired in 1974 (I verified the year at the closing credits). What stood out to me is what looks to be a graphic calculator in the man's left hand. Obviously it can't be, but what do you think it is?

<<Sorry, I tried uploading the photos multiple times to the forum, but every time I tried to Insert Into Post then Preview Post, they just disappeared. I gave up. This is a mystery for Columbo to solve!>>

Instead, here are Dropbox Links to slightly higher resolution copies than what are allowed in the forum: Pic #1 and Pic #2.

Matt

John Titor was there!
Big Grin

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-23-2014, 06:51 AM
It must be a prop of some kind. Look how thin it is, nothing was made so slim in the old days.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
06-23-2014, 08:42 AM
(06-23-2014 04:59 AM)Matt Kernal Wrote:  Obviously it can't be, but what do you think it is?

I think this is the first HP Prime prototype from HP - it just took them 40 years to perfect it! ;-)
06-23-2014, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 09:22 AM by walter b.)
(06-23-2014 08:42 AM)kusmi Wrote:  I think this is the first HP Prime prototype from HP - it just took them 40 years to perfect it! ;-)

If that's now the result of 40 years striving for perfection then beware!

d;-)
06-23-2014, 11:51 AM
(06-23-2014 04:59 AM)Matt Kernal Wrote:  <<Sorry, I tried uploading the photos multiple times to the forum, but every time I tried to Insert Into Post then Preview Post, they just disappeared. I gave up. This is a mystery for Columbo to solve!>>

I have had a similar issue. I am probably doing it the hard way, but the way I get around it is to add the attachment, then insert into post. That will add something like "[attachment=xxx]" to the top of your message, where "xxx" will be the number assigned your attachment by the forum software. Then I type in an image insertion code:
Code:
[img]http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/attachment.php?aid=xxx[/img]

Replace the xxx by the real attachment number, and the image is inserted into your post.

(06-23-2014 04:59 AM)Matt Kernal Wrote:  Instead, here are Dropbox Links to slightly higher resolution copies than what are allowed in the forum:

Dropbox is blocked at my current location, so if you get a chance and feel like it, try my method above to insert your pictures here.

Jeff

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
06-23-2014, 03:28 PM
(06-23-2014 04:59 AM)Matt Kernal Wrote:  What stood out to me is what looks to be a graphic calculator in the man's left hand. Obviously it can't be, but what do you think it is?

Matt

It looks like a Litronix 4 banger of the era.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
06-23-2014, 03:55 PM
(06-23-2014 03:28 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  It looks like a Litronix 4 banger of the era.

Yep! I think you are right.
06-23-2014, 04:32 PM
(06-23-2014 04:59 AM)Matt Kernal Wrote:  Edit: After receiving some good advice, here's another attempt at attaching the pics to the thread.. It seems to have worked - Thanks Jeff!

Almost got it Smile, here are the larger versions in a post:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=881]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=882]

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
06-23-2014, 08:25 PM
(06-23-2014 03:28 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  It looks like a Litronix 4 banger of the era.

Whew! Thank goodness that mystery is solved! I thought we were having a hiccup in the time-space continu.. well, you know the rest. Thanks all.

There are three kinds of people: those that can count and those that can't.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)