82087B Repair
05-13-2021, 09:25 PM
82087B Repair
This is the charger I received with my HP 34C.

It puts out the correct voltage.

The only quirk, is the two teeth that plug in to the outlet are loose.

I was wondering if a bit of Super Glue Gel on either side of the teeth was a good idea, or if there is another fix, or just leave them alone.

Thanks,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2021, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2021 04:17 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: 82087B Repair
Here's an answer from another thread.

(05-13-2021 09:03 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Throw the original charger away (or at least keep it in a safe distance from the calculator) and get one of Mark Hoskins replacement batteries. They work perfectly well, I use them since many years in all sizes for each series of classic HP calculators. He also has a USB powered external charger for the battery packs.

Here are Mark's offerings: https://www.ebay.com/sch/waterhosko/m.html

Typical super glue's are unsuitable for filling voids, if the charger is being repaired for posterity's sake. Epoxy should do the trick or a polyurethane adhesive if you want to avoid the mixing.
05-18-2021, 08:12 PM
I did some research, superglue is suppose to be non-conductive.

So I purchased some Superglue Gel, and built a small 'bed' around each prong.

I did a plug in/plug out test about a dozen times and the glue held. Nor did it cause any change in the output voltage.
05-18-2021, 11:15 PM
(05-18-2021 08:12 PM)dhe Wrote:  I did some research, superglue is suppose to be non-conductive.

So I purchased some Superglue Gel, and built a small 'bed' around each prong.

I did a plug in/plug out test about a dozen times and the glue held. Nor did it cause any change in the output voltage.

Some quick adhesives will fill voids, so let's look.
https://supergluecorp.com/product/super-glue-gel/

Directions:
NOTE: For best results, surfaces should be clean and dry and items should fit together well

So the superglue will probably not last long under use, but if the charger is put away and batteries are charged out of the calculator, that shouldn't be a problem.

Dave
05-18-2021, 11:42 PM
If you are talking about the prongs that are inserted into the AC outlet, can't you just slightly bend them outwards a bit? Does it behave that way in all outlets or just one? (If so the outlet itself could be replaced.)
05-26-2021, 09:22 AM
(05-18-2021 11:42 PM)cruff Wrote:  If you are talking about the prongs that are inserted into the AC outlet, can't you just slightly bend them outwards a bit? Does it behave that way in all outlets or just one? (If so the outlet itself could be replaced.)

No, these are not the metal prongs; they;re tiny plastic projections that hold the plug in the socket. They are quite fragile.

It’s all well and good to say don’t use the power supply on the calculator, but if you charge using the HP reserve power pack, you need the same charger.
05-26-2021, 12:34 PM
(05-26-2021 09:22 AM)[kby] Wrote:  It’s all well and good to say don’t use the power supply on the calculator, but if you charge using the HP reserve power pack, you need the same charger.

An important point not understood by most folks that don't have one (they are quite rare) however an important difference is with the reserve power pack, you can leave the adapter connected; there's no need to insert-charge-remove repeatedly as required when going directly into the calculator, so a simpler repair is possible and it likely won't wear/break over time as it stays put.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)