New HP 16C Simulator released: JRPN 16C
05-18-2021, 03:06 PM
New HP 16C Simulator released: JRPN 16C
Hi all,

I've released the production version of my new HP 16C simulator, at https://jrpn.jovial.com/. You'll find binaries for Android, MacOS, Windows and Linux, and it runs on the web. It's also on Google's app store. It works great on iOS too; if someone has a paid Apple Developer account, I'd be happy to work with them to get it deployed to the Apple App Store.

Full source for all platforms is available over at the Github Repo, and it includes pretty extensive documentation -- I've been a Computer Science instructor, and I kind of went into OO design lab mode :-) At about 10K LOC, it's small enough to be something one could comfortably look at, but big enough to illustrate some of the more important design patterns. It goes in heavily for MVC and State, and teases out some dependency inversion case studies.

It's all completely non-commercial -- no advertising or anything like that. It's a bit of a labor of love, and was a great way to keep busy while I waited the six weeks for the vaccine to become fully effective :-)

Cheers,

Bill
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2021, 05:21 PM
RE: New HP 16C Simulator released: JRPN 16C
Wow. It's superb! And MIT licensed too. Wow!
I'm very impressed.

I can only think of one suggestion: an option to show the full number (perhaps in the gray area around the screen) when it cannot fully be displayed on the screen.

Ok, maybe a second one: on the web version, perhaps map the left/right directional keys to "shift + sto (<)" and "shift + rcl (>)". (More generally, what is the logic behind the choice of shortcut keys on the web version?)

Thanks for the work of love!
Find all posts by this user
05-18-2021, 10:40 PM
(05-18-2021 05:21 PM)arborist Wrote:  Wow. It's superb! And MIT licensed too. Wow!
I'm very impressed.

I can only think of one suggestion: an option to show the full number (perhaps in the gray area around the screen) when it cannot fully be displayed on the screen.
Try f-CLEAR PREFIX in integer mode, or Menu -> Settings -> Uncheck "Enable Window" to make it permanent. I didn't really like putting the numbers on the side, and for reasonable lengths (up to 64 bits of hex), scaling the 7 segment LCD display seemed readable enough.

I almost made the windowing function disabled by default, since I think that's the more useful mode. But in the end, purism won out: That's not what the real calculator does.
Quote:Ok, maybe a second one: on the web version, perhaps map the left/right directional keys to "shift + sto (<)" and "shift + rcl (>)". (More generally, what is the logic behind the choice of shortcut keys on the web version?)

Thanks for the work of love!

Oh, that's a good idea. https://github.com/zathras/jrpn/issues/10 if you want a notification when I do something about that.

It's hard to pick really intuitive keyboard accelerators for everything - the "?" toggle is meant to help with that. Besides the numbers and the common arithmetic, I just went with things that don't require modifier keys, mostly -- "V" sort of points down, "Y" has something to do with "X<->Y" and since F was taken, "M" is sort of "meta," I suppose. But the < and > keys could be frequently used, for people who don't like the scaled-down LCD display, or are just used to it, so those two deserve some special attention.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2021, 11:18 PM
(05-18-2021 10:40 PM)billf Wrote:  Try f-CLEAR PREFIX in integer mode, or Menu -> Settings -> Uncheck "Enable Window" to make it permanent. I didn't really like putting the numbers on the side, and for reasonable lengths (up to 64 bits of hex), scaling the 7 segment LCD display seemed readable enough.

Even better! It's awesome Smile
05-19-2021, 01:10 AM
Fantastic work. Love that it works in both landscape and portrait. Works really well.

Congrats!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)