Programming for 50g on PC.
06-02-2021, 01:46 PM
Programming for 50g on PC.
I just got a 50g and looking forward to write some programs for it, and maybe beep tunes.

Can anyone tell me what it the method of writing programs for it on PC? I downloaded the connectivity kit, and got that working, and it allows transfer of files fine, but has no programming interface.

How do you go about programming for the 50g on the PC?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2021, 02:53 PM
RE: Programming for 50g on PC.
HPUserEdit is great for userRPL programming. Be aware that the menus are in Spanish be default but you can change them to English (and several other languages).

Debug4X is great for System RPL programming.

I believe you'll find both at hpcalc.org.

Dave
06-02-2021, 03:30 PM
The connectivity kit is just that, a connectivity kit, not a programming kit. Why did you expect programming tools?

Part of the 50g's appeal (to me anyway) is that it has pretty good onboard programming tools, so that's what I prefer. Therefore a straightforward solution would be to get a virtual 50g - if I'm writing RPL programs on my PC for whatever reason (let's say, I expect memory corruption from doing unsafe experiments with its system code), then an emulator is my go-to option. You would probably want one for testing / debugging anyway. In my case it's x49gp; if you're stuck on Windows, there's also Emu48.

If a virtual calculator feels too cramped, you can give HPUserEdit (for UserRPL) or Debug4x (for SysRPL and Saturn ASM) a shot. I've never used the former, and haven't touched the latter in many years, but I do remember that Debug4x comes with a copy of Emu48 and makes an effort to integrate with it for easier debugging.

Finally, if you're into ARM ASM or C, you can compile programs with HPGCC or its successor HPGCC3. In that case, you have to use a PC because the arm-none-eabi toolchain will never fit onto the 50g. HPGCC3 is designed to be used with Eclipse Indigo (and due to a lack of maintenance, it won't work on newer versions of Eclipse; Claudio is busy with other stuff), but if you really want to, you can use any off-the-shelf editor that understands Makefile-based C projects. However, testing would have to take place on a real 50g or x49gp, since Emu48 doesn't do ARM emulation.

(Damn, too slow again.)
06-02-2021, 04:43 PM
(06-02-2021 03:30 PM)3298 Wrote:  The connectivity kit is just that, a connectivity kit, not a programming kit. Why did you expect programming tools?

Probably because the connectivity kit for the Prime, on the other hand, does include a programming environment.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2021, 06:24 PM
(06-02-2021 04:43 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(06-02-2021 03:30 PM)3298 Wrote:  The connectivity kit is just that, a connectivity kit, not a programming kit. Why did you expect programming tools?

Probably because the connectivity kit for the Prime, on the other hand, does include a programming environment.

Yeah, exactly. The HP Prime connectivity kit has the facility to enter a program, as does, I believe, the TI Connect CE, which works for the SE (Non-CE) too.
06-02-2021, 06:42 PM
(06-02-2021 02:53 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  HPUserEdit is great for userRPL programming. Be aware that the menus are in Spanish be default but you can change them to English (and several other languages).

Dave

I would like to be able to change the options that I can understand, to change the language, but only Spanish is there. I have attached a screen shot of what I see.

Do you perhaps have a later version that has English there too? Or is there a menu that I have missed?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-02-2021, 11:59 PM
(06-02-2021 06:42 PM)matalog Wrote:  
(06-02-2021 02:53 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  HPUserEdit is great for userRPL programming. Be aware that the menus are in Spanish be default but you can change them to English (and several other languages).

Dave

I would like to be able to change the options that I can understand, to change the language, but only Spanish is there. I have attached a screen shot of what I see.

Do you perhaps have a later version that has English there too? Or is there a menu that I have missed?

From post # 6 here:

1) Select Opdones from the menu bar.

2)Select the Idiomas menu. This menu shows another popup menu.

3) Select English (1) or English (2), or any other language that appears in the popup menu.

Thanks to Namir in a post almost exactly 10 years ago

--Bob Prosperi
06-03-2021, 01:00 AM
(06-02-2021 11:59 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-02-2021 06:42 PM)matalog Wrote:  I would like to be able to change the options that I can understand, to change the language, but only Spanish is there. I have attached a screen shot of what I see.

From post # 6 here:

1) Select Opdones from the menu bar.

2)Select the Idiomas menu. This menu shows another popup menu.

3) Select English (1) or English (2), or any other language that appears in the popup menu.

Thanks to Namir in a post almost exactly 10 years ago

Except he already tried that, and in the screenshot he posted, there is no option for English, only Spanish. Namir's post doesn't apply here because Namir was using version 4.0 and this screenshot is for version 6.0. Instead, he needs to download this instead (though a comment on there indicates that some things are not translated properly; perhaps someone can look into this and share a fixed file): https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7588
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2021, 01:39 AM
(06-03-2021 01:00 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Except he already tried that, and in the screenshot he posted, there is no option for English, only Spanish. Namir's post doesn't apply here because Namir was using version 4.0 and this screenshot is for version 6.0. Instead, he needs to download this instead (though a comment on there indicates that some things are not translated properly; perhaps someone can look into this and share a fixed file): https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7588

Yikes, guess it pays to examine the photo more closely. I've had that link saved for years, and have posted it in the past, so it's clear I didn't track the new versions.

Sorry matalog, for the poor advice.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)