This is begging to be hacked into a Curta simulator
07-23-2021, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2021 01:32 AM by BobVA.)
This is begging to be hacked into a Curta simulator
Panic Playdate at Engadget.

Alas the SDK doesn't include APL or Fortran, so perhaps I can organize a letter writing campaign :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2021, 12:02 PM
RE: This is begging to be hacked into a Curta simulator
Hello!

Really? What makes the Curta so special is the fact that it incorporates so much precision mechanics in such a small device. And of course it's history and the place and manner where and how it was invented. The solid and heavy feel of the little device, the smooth clicking of it's incredilby well designed mechanics. Do you really want to recreate that on a plasic toy? No way as far as I am concerned - there can be only one Curta. Ever :-)

Regards
Max
07-24-2021, 04:52 PM
(07-23-2021 12:02 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Do you really want to recreate that on a plasic toy? No way as far as I am concerned - there can be only one Curta. Ever :-)

In defense of the plastic toy, though, I probably can afford to buy one. Unlike an actual Curta.
07-26-2021, 02:13 PM
For that matter, it is also begging to be made into a pepper mill...
B^)

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
07-27-2021, 03:14 AM
Of course, everything is different if you have been wise enough to invest in a 3D printer and have a bit of spare time on your hands. Then you can whip up your own homage to Curta and delight your friends with a fully mechanical calculator. Now, it's necessarily of substantial size, but something that 50g owners should be completely comfortable with.

The 3D-Printed Curta Calculator - YouTube
07-29-2021, 02:30 PM
(07-26-2021 02:13 PM)Ren Wrote:  For that matter, it is also begging to be made into a pepper mill...
B^)

Indeed! I'm sure there's a salad-based adventure game in the works :-)

What initially caught my eye about this gadget, beyond the Curta-esque crank, was the display. It appears to be the same 400x240 Sharp memory LCD used in the DM-4x calculators from Swiss Micros.

Maybe SM can license the crank as an alternative to the ENTER key, so you can get that "full adding machine feel" when doing your taxes.
04-11-2023, 10:53 PM
Well, it took two years, but....

"Crankulator" for the Playdate is out.

Crank-input calculator, but sadly not a Curta UI. :-)
04-21-2023, 07:13 PM
(07-27-2021 03:14 AM)DMaier Wrote:  Now, it's necessarily of substantial size, but something that 50g owners should be completely comfortable with.
[Emphasis mine]

Heavens, that had me LAUGHING hard enough my wife thinks I'm a maniac.

(Well, in all honesty, she already thinks that when she looks at the collections of calculators and things in my office. And starts chanting "Wires and Cables and Plugs, Oh Boy! Wires and Cables and Plugs, Oh Boy!" With due apologies to fans of "The Wizard of Oz.")

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
04-21-2023, 08:44 PM
If you are interested in the Curta Calculator this 3D printed version is fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9uRckJL...Rvcg%3D%3D

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)