Remake HP-9810 ROM Cartridges possible?
07-23-2021, 07:38 AM
Remake HP-9810 ROM Cartridges possible?
A thought crossed my mind. Does genuine HP microcode "remake" products like Swiss Micros and the Panamatik products lead to the possibility of other products? If code/microcode can be extracted from calculators, can the same be done with the 9800 series ROM cartridges?

I have no ability nor capacity to do such myself, but it seems the possibility of:
-- 3D print a cartridge case
-- extract the code/microcode of a cartridge
-- fabricate modern component innards and load the microcode
-- place all on a PCB with appropriate edge connector
should be possible.

i.e. is it possible for someone, having a cartridge, to fabricate a functional replica using methods similar to the afore-mentioned products?

I would think a market for this exists. Of course, a key assumption is the code extraction is non-destructive. If so, you'd think the user-base would offer ROM cartridges for code extraction, testing. Naturally assuming they will be returned timely and unmodified.

Anyone familiar with the design and construction of such "remake" products have an opinion?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2021, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2021 08:19 AM by teenix.)
RE: Remake HP-9810 ROM Cartridges possible?
If you have the ROM code then it would be reasonably trivial to put it in a modern device. If the devices just have a PROM or similar in them for code storage then setting up a jig to read from it shouldn't be too hard.

The more interesting things would be to make sure the more modern parts interface to the older equipment properly.

None of this is impossible of course. A circuit board could be made to suit and these days a cartridge case could be 3D printed.

cheers

Tony
07-23-2021, 09:50 AM
RE: Remake HP-9810 ROM Cartridges possible?
It is possible, this is an example of another project where something similar was done

HP 9862A Interface

Question is, who would find this fun to do?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)