Why is it so hard to learn the HP prime g2?
08-14-2023, 04:14 AM
Why is it so hard to learn the HP prime g2?
I swear I can't find any videos on the features I would like to learn.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2023, 08:06 AM
RE: Why is it so hard to learn the HP prime g2?
What features do you want to learn?
08-15-2023, 04:58 AM
Hey, sorry for the late reply.

1. I would like to know how to simplify radicals such as: √x√x√x√x, or (√3x)^3, because mathway and brainly give me the right answer, while the HP PRIME g2 gives me something way off. For (√3x)^3, I got the answer: 3*√3*√x*x.
If I get further into something big, such as (√x-9)^8, it will not even simplify the answer, or get it right. The correct answer would be x^4+36x^3+486x^2-2916x+6561, but the Prime seems to not do that.

2. Is it possible to factor the perfect squares out of radicals?

3.How can I learn to program this? I have attempted to use chatgpt, but every program has a syntax error, and some programs will not even run, just get stuck in the solve screen.

4. What are some very good commands you recommend for high school math? Specifcally Algebra 2, and pre-calculus?

5.How can you rationalize denominators of fractions?

I have many more, but I think these ones are my most important currently. It's fine if you can't help me with all of them, any and all help will be appreciated from you all.
08-15-2023, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2023 06:41 AM by Joe Horn.)
(08-15-2023 04:58 AM)batx27 Wrote:  1. I would like to know how to simplify radicals such as: √x√x√x√x, or (√3x)^3, because mathway and brainly give me the right answer, while the HP PRIME g2 gives me something way off. For (√3x)^3, I got the answer: 3*√3*√x*x.

Prime's correct result agrees with Wolfram Alpha. Please let us know what answer you were expecting. By the way, please note that √3x does not mean √(3*x), it means (√3)*(x). You have to be clear with parentheses; √25-9 is not equal to √(25-9). And so on.

(08-15-2023 04:58 AM)batx27 Wrote:  If I get further into something big, such as (√x-9)^8, it will not even simplify the answer, or get it right. The correct answer would be x^4+36x^3+486x^2-2916x+6561, but the Prime seems to not do that.

Once again, Prime's correct answer agrees with Wolfram Alpha. The result which you say is "the correct answer" is not correct, and is missing many terms. Perhaps you meant (√(x-9))^8, which is different.

(08-15-2023 04:58 AM)batx27 Wrote:  2. Is it possible to factor the perfect squares out of radicals?

Yes. For example, in CAS (of course), √24 is simplified to 2*√6. If it isn't working for you, please give us specific examples so that we can help. Also be sure to be in CAS view, not Home view.

(08-15-2023 04:58 AM)batx27 Wrote:  3.How can I learn to program this? I have attempted to use chatgpt, but every program has a syntax error, and some programs will not even run, just get stuck in the solve screen.

A good place to start is to read the section about programming in the HP Prime User Guide. Do the examples shown there. If something is unclear or doesn't work, let us know (with specifics, please).

(08-15-2023 04:58 AM)batx27 Wrote:  5.How can you rationalize denominators of fractions?

The simplify() function does that automatically. E.g. simplify(4/√18) --> (2*√2)/3. If you set your CAS Settings to Simplify: Maximum, everything you type in will be automatically simplified. However, please be aware that there is often more than one possible "simplified" form for a given expression.

Hope those helped at least a little!

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-15-2023, 06:42 AM
And here is the latest Manual if you need it https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/docs/hpprimeug.zip

It will definitely be a massively greater help than chatgpt to learn how to use the HP Prime to program.
08-15-2023, 08:32 AM
(08-15-2023 04:58 AM)batx27 Wrote:  Hey, sorry for the late reply.

1. I would like to know how to simplify radicals such as: √x√x√x√x, or (√3x)^3, because mathway and brainly give me the right answer, while the HP PRIME g2 gives me something way off. For (√3x)^3, I got the answer: 3*√3*√x*x.
If I get further into something big, such as (√x-9)^8, it will not even simplify the answer, or get it right. The correct answer would be x^4+36x^3+486x^2-2916x+6561, but the Prime seems to not do that.

Just a couple of further comments:
  • The Prime always replaces (for example) x^(3/2) with sqrt(x)*x. As far as I know there is no setting to change this, but you quickly get used to it; the answers are still correct.
  • Once you’ve worked out (sqrt(x-9))^8 and got (x-9)^4, the next step is not Simplify, but Expand. You’ll find it in the CAS menu under Algebra, item 3.

Hope this helps.

Nigel (UK)
08-15-2023, 12:05 PM
You can find a good CAS manual here: https://www.hpcalc.org/details/8774
08-15-2023, 12:30 PM
(08-15-2023 08:32 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Once you’ve worked out (sqrt(x-9))^8 and got (x-9)^4, the next step is not Simplify, but Expand.

CAS> expand((1+x)^4 - (1-x)^4)

x^4 - (-x)^4 + 4*x^3 - 4*(-x)^3 + 6*x^2 - 6*(-x)^2 + 8*x

CAS> simplify(Ans

8*x^3 + 8*x

I wish CAS expand produce terms without (-x)^n.
I think this should be fixed ... until then, I'll use simplify.

Example, from book Algebraic Inequalities, old and new methods

Warm-Up exercise 3:
Positive (a,b,c), prove (a+b+c)^5 ≥ 81 * a*b*c * (a^2+b^2+c^2)

CAS> f := (a+b+c)^5 - 81 * a*b*c * (a^2+b^2+c^2)
CAS> member("-", str(simplify(f(b=a+x, c =a+x+y

0      // "-" not found

With symmetry, we can assume (a,b,c) sorted, 0 < a ≤ b ≤ c
--> f, in terms of (a, x=b-a, y=c-b), does not have negative terms.
--> f ≥ 0      QED
08-15-2023, 04:57 PM
thank you all so much!!! You guys are life savers
08-25-2023, 12:49 AM
Also refer this book.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  hp-prime_cas.pdf (Size: 4.51 MB / Downloads: 34)

Permanently banned

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)