too poor for my own good
10-13-2021, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2021 05:52 PM by Duane Hess.)
too poor for my own good
Well, one could say its about HP calculators, since that will be the items identified. However, its more closely correlated with my extreme lack of wealth or poor financial planning history. So I decided to post in this category.

I was awoke to my unrealistic awareness of reality when other posts on this site mentioned the $10,000 HP-9810 listed on one of those "sale" sites. At first I thought it was an unrealistic seller.

However, today I realized it was me after seeing the $1,000.00 and $10,007.77 HP-16C listings at that same site. Obviously, my sense of value has been askew. I was hesitant, at first. Then after noticing the one unit wasn't $10,000.00 but $10,007.77 it dawned on me my brain was being silly. Certainly a seller who's listing is $7.77 off what would be an obvious even "bait" price must have a firm sense of value. Especially when the seller previously sold a 16C for $10,007.77.

Just wanted to confess my lack of sense now that I realize I'm looking into the wrong used sale items.

Need to change my interests to more sensible things like used thimbles.

... I feel better now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2021, 06:13 PM
RE: too poor for my own good
Oh ... you should buy that one - it's a cut-off price - as the next one came up for $ 20.000.
So you have a real bargain - hehehehe
10-13-2021, 06:28 PM
Just get heavily into amateur radio, then the calculators will seem cheap. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2021, 07:43 PM
(10-13-2021 06:28 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Just get heavily into amateur radio, then the calculators will seem cheap. Wink
Closer to home, with the current eBay prices, I could not buy my own HP calculator collection. Dodgy
10-13-2021, 09:55 PM
(10-13-2021 06:28 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Just get heavily into amateur radio, then the calculators will seem cheap. Wink

Or Astronomy, astrophotography in particular.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

10-14-2021, 02:23 AM
I'm an avid cyclist, but I don't race and I don't go wild over all the latest equipment (much of which does not constitute an improvement over the old anyway). About ten years ago, I saw a topic on a cycling forum where the man started it with "How much money do you spend in a year on your habit? I ask because my accountant wife confronted me last night with the fact that I had already spent $18,000 this year, on race fees, travel, hotels, equipment, clothes, etc." (and there were still three months left of the year). I nearly swallowed my tongue. Answers were incredible, with many more in the range of $10,000-$20,000! Then someone posted, "Hey, it could be a yacht instead [and cost far more]; but I enjoy this!" I guess interests and their prices span a wide range, and I don't see much correlation between price and enjoyment. If I were to sell my HP-41 and 71's and all my related equipment, I could get thousands of dollars for it all. It's not for sale though, and I'm glad I bought it when I could.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
10-14-2021, 07:38 AM

Oh my god, you are sooo right with that. Smile
10-14-2021, 12:36 PM
Guitars/amps = "$ ouch". Smile

-B
10-14-2021, 05:40 PM
I'm not pursuing a 35 Red Dot, or cartridges for my 41, or any 98xxx, because i can't afford them, now if I were to find one in a cluttered box at a garage sale for $5, I'd try not to act conspicuous as I sweated my way to the cashier.
A couple of days ago I bought from TAS a 38G and a 39G. They were less than $20 each (plus shipping). I will proudly add them to my collection. I would even consider a 6S or a 3rd party 4 banger with an HP logo (such as those possibly given away at trade shows. Yes, I have no shame!)

"I don't mind being poor and all, I just wish I had more money to do it with!"
-unknown

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)