HP 48GX Analytical and Numerical Methods
10-09-2021, 07:57 PM
HP 48GX Analytical and Numerical Methods
Does anyone have the book Analytical and Numerical Methods with the HP 48 G/G+/GX Programmable Calculator by Martha A. Crawford that they'd like to sell to me? The book is out of stock on several websites. I'm interested in the Newton-Raphson method and how to use it to solve for the missing parts of a circular curve.

One example would be, find the radius of a circular curve given only the chord length and the arc length.

chord = 2Rsin(Δ/2)
arc = πΔR/180

Notes: The Δ symbol is the central angle. The π symbol is pi.

Another example would be, find the radius of a circular curve given only the tangent length and the arc length.

tangent = R tan(Δ/2)
arc = πΔR/180

A typical circular curve solution might be

Δ = 48°00'00" @ Central angle
R = 500.00' @ Radius
L = 418.88' @ Arc length
T = 222.61' @ Tangent length
CH = 406.74' @ Chord length

I'm new to iterative methods. How do you know what a good best guess would be for a particular situation?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2021, 02:18 AM
RE: HP 48GX Analytical and Numerical Methods
The short (97 page) book you describe had two authors, Martha A. Crawford and Gilberto E. Urroz and does not appear to be widely available. If you are unable to find this book, it may be helpful to know that one of the authors, Gilberto E. Urroz, wrote a later, expanded, two-volume series for the HP49G (Science and Engineering Mathematics with the HP 49 G - Volume 1 and 2) that should still be of use to HP48 users and easier to find from used booksellers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)