NEW PERMANENT EXHIBITION OF HP and NON HP CALCULATORS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ZARAGOZA (
10-12-2021, 10:33 AM
NEW PERMANENT EXHIBITION OF HP and NON HP CALCULATORS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ZARAGOZA (
Dear friends:

As curator, I am happy to inform you that at the beginning of November 2021 a new permanent physical exhibition will be inaugurated at the Higher Polytechnic School of Huesca, belonging to the University of Zaragoza (Spain), with the title:

El CÁCULO EN TU MANO (CALCULUS AT YOUR HAND)

This exhibition expands and gives permanence to the exhibition that took place in the same place in September 2018, under the title ‘Electronic archeology: The first calculators’, whose on-line content can been seen here:

https://campushuesca.unizar.es/galeria-e...as-escuela

This new permanent exhibition is located at one entrance hall to the main campus building, with free public access, with 11 large display cabinets and associated posters.

The exhibition displays a part of the collection of more than 500 unique electronic calculators that have been researched, documented and compiled over the last few years. The collection includes only significant models rigorously selected from among the thousands of existing models, for reasons of novelty, innovation, unique characteristics or rarity. They all are fully functional (except perhaps half a dozen, with partial operation), and can be used on request, to capture the special operational, visual and tactile sensations that they provide, sometimes unexpected and far from those currently established.

The calculators collection focuses on "pocket calculators" of the period 1969-1992, (including the Pocket Computers from the 80s), both for general and scientific use. This collection is virtually finish in all the most important items of this era. To complete the outlook and technological evolution, it also includes scientific desktop models and exemplars of the most popular mechanical calculators, applied to accounting and scientific task, which still coexisted with electronic ones for a short time.

There are some examples of desktop calculators built with discrete components in the second half of the 60s (IME-96S, CANON 161 and 130s), but the mythical equipment of the 60s such as ANITA MK, FRIDEN 130, WANG, MARCHANT COGITO, SHARP COMPET CS-10A, SHARP COMPET 20, ... ,are still lacking. The same can be said in respect early HP 1900, HP 8000 and TI SR-60 desktop scientific series. In this sense, to complete its funds, the museum seeks donations, even some purchase at a reasonable price, since it is financed only with small charities of the teachers and staff voluntary work.

The exhibition is conceived with revolving thematic, to make it more dynamic, with various central themes planned, reserving the temporally unexposed funds in a chamber with controlled temperature and humidity conditions for long-term conservation.

The current exhibition focuses on the first electronic calculators with the 4 basic functions that present a curious emergence of evolutionary diversity, which over time converged on the standards that we now know (see the list of thematic content of each of the showcases in the post end part). For next year 2022, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first scientific pocket calculator, HP-35, part of the content will be renewed an expanded with the new central motif of scientific calculators from the period 1972-1995.

I enclose some low-res images of the preliminary assembly of a pair of display cabinets (numbers 6 and 7). You are invited to visit it and it will be a pleasure to accompany you on a guided tour, if you ever come here.

It is planned to complete the content of the virtual exhibition of 2018, which only showed a small part of the items. Therefore the entire collection will be accessible online in the near future.

Greetings to the entire community interested in these topics and do not hesitate to ask your questions and give suggestions.

Ricardo Aliod & Helen May

LISTING OF DISPLAY CABINTES FOR EXHIBITION, PERIOD NOV 2021- NOV 2022

1 PORTABLE MECHANICAL ADDERS
2 MECHANICAL DESKTOP CALCULATORS
3 AUTOMATIC MECHANICAL CALCULATOR, ELECTRICAL DRIVEN
4 SLIDE RULES
5 FIRST ELECTRONIC DESKTOP CALCULATORS
6 FIRST PORTABLE CALCULATORS (1970-1972)
7 FOUR FUNCTIONS CALCULATORS (1972-1974)
8 EVOLUTION OF CALCULATORS WITH FOUR FUNCTIONS (1975-1983)
9 FIRST SCIENTIFIC AND EDUCATIONAL CALCULATORS (1974-1975)
10 CALCULATORS MADE IN SPAIN (1972-1979)
11 CURIOUS CALCULATORS WITH OTHER USES (1974-2000)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2021, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2021 04:29 PM by Fernando del Rey.)
RE: NEW PERMANENT EXHIBITION OF HP and NON HP CALCULATORS
Great job!

Thanks for sharing this information. I travel near your location quite regularly, so be sure that I will visit the permanent exhibition as soon as I can arrange a short stop-over.

I would never imagine that I could find such an interesting visit in Huesca Smile
10-12-2021, 04:51 PM
RE: NEW PERMANENT EXHIBITION OF HP and NON HP CALCULATORS [...]
Hi, Ricardo & Helen:

(10-12-2021 10:33 AM)Alevin Wrote:  As curator, I am happy to inform you that at the beginning of November 2021 a new permanent physical exhibition will be inaugurated at the Higher Polytechnic School of Huesca, belonging to the University of Zaragoza (Spain), with the title:

El CÁCULO EN TU MANO (CALCULUS AT YOUR HAND) [...]

Thanks you very much for telling us about this magnificent exhibition, which we (at least me) knew nothing about.

I wish you the best of lucks and I'm sure it'll gather a lot of attention from HP calcs fans (and other brand's, SHARP for instance) across the globe, definitely for those who can visit it at Huesca (which has an amazing geography and fantastic ski resorts, so a visit to see the calcs exhibition would be fantastically complemented with those activities as well, getting all the more from the (vacational ?) trip).

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2021, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2021 08:16 AM by Alevin.)
NEW PERMANENT EXHIBITION OF HP and NON HP CALCULATORS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ZARAGOZA
Dear colleagues

Thanks for the compliments and the interest in promoting the permanent live exhibition.

Of course, you all will be welcome. Just leave a message in here when you plan to visit us, and I we will organize an special tour for you .

Here you can find where we are...

https://eps.unizar.es/

You will be not disappointed (example pics attached in the OP are low resolution, but even so you can appreciate quite important items for the period 1970-1974, all reunited in the same space and fully operational).

Before we can complete the past exhibition virtual site

https://campushuesca.unizar.es/galeria-e...as-escuela

with all the collection items models, we plan to include a full listing items, so you can get an idea of what is inside, and suggest what other relevant models could be added.

Best regards
10-13-2021, 12:54 PM
NEW PERMANENT EXHIBITION OF HP and NON HP CALCULATORS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ZARAGOZA
Hi all,

That's great news indeed!

Since I visit family and friends in Zaragoza every now and then, I'm confident I'll pay a visit to Huesca along the next year. :-)

Congrats for this good job and best wishes for the future of the exhibition.

Diego.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
10-13-2021, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2021 11:46 PM by Mike T..)
RE: NEW PERMANENT EXHIBITION OF HP and NON HP CALCULATORS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ZARAGOZA (
Thank you for sharing - since I already know how to make a PI Zero look and behave like a keyboard that USB calculator gives me a neat idea.

Well I think it is neat anyway!

Mike T.

HP21, HP25, HP32E, HP33C, HP34C, HP10C, HP11C, HP12C, HP32S, HP22S

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)