HP-35S Discontinued?
12-11-2022, 07:49 PM
RE: HP-35S Discontinued?
(07-08-2022 02:43 PM)DrewNicholson Wrote:  Once I figure out how I want to open the new calcs and not have the crappy plastic bubble look torn up, I'm sure I'll be opening and checking them ;-)

If it's in a blister pack, try acetone. It dissolves the glue without marring the cardboard backing. You can remove the batteries and reseal the package while keeping it looking new.

https://tonkstoysblog.wordpress.com/2016...ster-card/

If it's in one of those clamshell packs, good luck!

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2022, 11:09 AM
It is my understanding that these machines are widely used in certain exams in USA. Could that be the reason of rising prices?
12-12-2022, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2022 06:10 PM by johnb.)
(12-12-2022 11:09 AM)david sanz Wrote:  It is my understanding that these machines are widely used in certain exams in USA. Could that be the reason of rising prices?

My SWAG (Scientific Wild-A**ed Guess) is that it's more general than that: simple supply vs. demand. No more being made, so supplies are only what remains in stock in a dwindling number of vendors.

However, you might be right about the reason for the demand not decreasing at the same rate as the supply.

A tiny part of the remaining demand must be we collectors ourselves. I have one, but it's one of my daily drivers, and if I were serious about my collection maintaining a high market value, I'd have another that I'd kept pristine. Clearly there are some collectors who don't have one yet and feel they need one. Or need another!

But that can only be a tiny part.

Still, those exams have enough other calculators as options (and we who prefer RPN are a dwindling breed), so I'm not sure.

Wish I had some real data that quantifies things. (I'm still waiting to live in one of Isaac Asimov's worlds... or at least have the Enterprise's Library Computer. Google doesn't cut it for questions like this!)

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
12-13-2022, 12:53 AM
I want a holideck (spelling?) from Star Trek, the Next Generation. I’m sure that the holideck was inspired by a short story from Asimov’s The Illustrated Man.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)