Use of set notation in graphing apps
11-03-2021, 01:31 AM
Use of set notation in graphing apps
Hello

Is anyone aware of any way to use set notation in the graphing apps, such as the Function and Advanced Graphing app?

What I’m hoping to do is plot multiple parabolas with only the one equation by using the form:

x^2+{a,b,c,d,e}

where a,b,c,d,e are constants I have either substituted in or defined elsewhere.

Is this possible on the Prime? It’s doable on many other graphics calculators, just can’t seem to get it to work with the Prime. The plot screen displays NaN for the y value in the Function app and errors with the message “Invalid object” in the Advanced graphics app.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2021, 12:52 AM
RE: Use of set notation in graphing apps
(11-03-2021 01:31 AM)DuckEgg Wrote:  Hello

Hello there!

(11-03-2021 01:31 AM)DuckEgg Wrote:  Is anyone aware of any way to use set notation in the graphing apps, such as the Function and Advanced Graphing app?

What I’m hoping to do is plot multiple parabolas with only the one equation by using the form:

x^2+{a,b,c,d,e}

where a,b,c,d,e are constants I have either substituted in or defined elsewhere.

Is this possible on the Prime?

This sort of thing isn’t currently possible. Tim and I have talked about this in the past and it is definitely on the list of possible future improvements.

One possible workaround, with the Advanced Graphing app, is to plot something like SIN(Y-X^2)=0 — this will show Y=X^2+N*π. (See below.) Another is to enter the base function / open sentence in one definition slot and then refer to it in other slots (e.g., F1(X)=X^2, F2(X)=F1(X)+A, F3(X)=F1(X)+B, …).

11-19-2021, 08:46 AM
(11-17-2021 12:52 AM)jte Wrote:  
(11-03-2021 01:31 AM)DuckEgg Wrote:  Hello

Hello there!

(11-03-2021 01:31 AM)DuckEgg Wrote:  Is anyone aware of any way to use set notation in the graphing apps, such as the Function and Advanced Graphing app?

x^2+{a,b,c,d,e}

Is this possible on the Prime?

This sort of thing isn’t currently possible. Tim and I have talked about this in the past and it is definitely on the list of possible future improvements.

One possible workaround, with the Advanced Graphing app, is to plot something like SIN(Y-X^2)=0 — this will show Y=X^2+N*π. (See below.) Another is to enter the base function / open sentence in one definition slot and then refer to it in other slots (e.g., F1(X)=X^2, F2(X)=F1(X)+A, F3(X)=F1(X)+B, …).
The base function / open sentence in one definition slot and then refer in other slots is for the function app rather than the advanced graphing app? Function app has F1(X), Fn(x) and referencing other slots work but advanced graphing app has Vn: slots and referencing other slots doesn't seem to work.

Ps. Good to hear that there is still a list of possible improvements ...Wink
11-21-2021, 10:26 AM
(11-17-2021 12:52 AM)jte Wrote:  ... Tim and I have talked about this in the past, and it is definitely on the list of possible future improvements...

I understood from an old thread that you were one of the lead authors of this great “advanced graphics” app. We now know that the calculator branch has been sold ...
When you mention here possible future improvements, do you mean that you are still an actor in this future? I will be very reassured for the future of this great machine to know that people of your quality are still on the development team.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)