"VIEW PSE"
11-10-2021, 03:48 AM
"VIEW PSE"
I bought a HP-32S and a HP-32SII together as a lot, giving me a chance to play with them side-by-side. I was particularly interested in their differences.
The design choice that I dislike the most is the requirement of shift to activate up/down arrow keys. In 32S, 'down' is primary and 'up' is shifted, this lack of symmetry is very confusing. In 32SII, both 'up' and 'down' are shifted, making it mandatory to hold down left shift to scroll. This multi-finger gymnastics was the reason why I hated emacs so much.
One notable difference I encountered is the very different behavior of VIEW followed by PSE. It is particularly amusing because identical codes gave different results.
In 32S, the following code hang at the VIEW step. In 32SII the PSE results in expected 1s pause.

Y01 LBL Y
Y02 200
Y03 2
Y04 STO i
Y05 VIEW(i)
Y06 PSE
Y07 RTN

Jay
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2021, 08:18 AM
RE: "VIEW PSE"
(11-10-2021 03:48 AM)butforwales Wrote:  The design choice that I dislike the most is the requirement of shift to activate up/down arrow keys. In 32S, 'down' is primary and 'up' is shifted, this lack of symmetry is very confusing. In 32SII, both 'up' and 'down' are shifted, making it mandatory to hold down left shift to scroll.

I like much better the 32S way, it is similar to many previous HP calculators with the primary SST and shifted BST (e.g. 41C). It is quite easy to handle them with the left thumb. On the contrary the 32SII way requires to use both hands.

Quote:One notable difference I encountered is the very different behavior of VIEW followed by PSE. It is particularly amusing because identical codes gave different results.
In 32S, the following code hang at the VIEW step. In 32SII the PSE results in expected 1s pause.

The 32S behavior is correct, the VIEW operation stops the program.
The 32SII behavior is a little-known 32SII specificity and an improvement vs the 32S.
Quote from the Owner Manual:
"If you want, you can make the program continue while the information is displayed. If the next program line - after the VIEW instruction or a viewed equation - contains a PSE (pause) instruction, the information is displayed and execution continues after a 1-second pause."

Let us know if you find other notable differences !

J-F
(a 32S user and fan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2021, 08:31 AM
(11-10-2021 03:48 AM)butforwales Wrote:  In 32S, the following code hang at the VIEW step. In 32SII the PSE results in expected 1s pause.

Both behave as described in the corresponding manuals. The paragraph about VIEW PSE (Displaying Information without stopping) does not exist in the manual of the HP32S.

My calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP11C, HP28S - current: HP48G, HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42, HP12C
11-10-2021, 01:23 PM
(11-10-2021 08:18 AM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(11-10-2021 03:48 AM)butforwales Wrote:  The design choice that I dislike the most is the requirement of shift to activate up/down arrow keys. In 32S, 'down' is primary and 'up' is shifted, this lack of symmetry is very confusing. In 32SII, both 'up' and 'down' are shifted, making it mandatory to hold down left shift to scroll.

I like much better the 32S way, it is similar to many previous HP calculators with the primary SST and shifted BST (e.g. 41C). It is quite easy to handle them with the left thumb. On the contrary the 32SII way requires to use both hands.

I like the 32SII layout myself. I usually hold the shift key with my right index finger, then use the next two fingers on the same hand to press the arrows. On the 32S, both the shift key and the arrow are in the same column, making it more awkward to back up a step using one hand.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2021, 02:34 PM
(11-10-2021 03:48 AM)butforwales Wrote:  [...]
This multi-finger gymnastics was the reason why I hated emacs so much.
[...]

Jay

EMACS? Eighty Megabytes and Constantly Swapping Big Grin

EMACS: It’s a nice OS, but to compete with Linux or Windows it needs a better text editor.
— Alexander Duscheleit

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
11-10-2021, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2021 07:38 PM by ijabbott.)
(11-10-2021 02:34 PM)Ren Wrote:  EMACS? Eighty Megabytes and Constantly Swapping Big Grin

It's hard to believe these days, but the original joke used Eight, not Eighty!

Some more: GNU Emacs acronym expansions

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)