Responding to a particular post in a threaded view
12-20-2013, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 11:14 AM by walter b.)
Responding to a particular post in a threaded view
One thing I liked with the old forum is you could post a response to an arbitrary message within a thread. I admit having difficulties doing the same here:

If I select a certain message and select the first quote button, I can write a response to it and it will be properly filed in the thread. :-)

If I then select another message in the same thread and select the first quote button, the second quote button, or "New Reply", I can write a response again BUT the forum software will penetrantly append it to my first post above. >:-(

Anybody knowing how to handle that properly? (BTW, also the smiley conversion tool seems to act a bit erratic - sometimes it will convert although 'Disable' is checked, and sometimes it doesn't although said box is unchecked.)

d:-?

Seems like there's a minimum time interval you have to wait between both posts. No idea how many minutes though. Thanks in advance for enlightenment!

dUndecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2013, 11:42 AM
RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view
There's a certain time frame in which subsequent contributions by one user will be concaternated. I don't think we can do anything about that, but Dave could probably just switch it off :-).
12-20-2013, 11:49 AM
(12-20-2013 11:42 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  There's a certain time frame in which subsequent contributions by one user will be concaternated.
Yes, that's certain ;-> Do you have any idea how long it is?

d:-/
12-20-2013, 11:54 AM
It has been mentioned in one posting, but can't find it.
12-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Don't know if it is the preset time, but I was able to have separated posts after 10 minutes.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-20-2013, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 05:07 PM by Katie Wasserman.)
The threaded mode is pretty quirky. The linear mode doesn't have this complication but also doesn't show the the thread nicely. I think that people have mostly been using the quoting mechanism to show what's being responded to.

-katie

12-20-2013, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 05:27 PM by walter b.)
(12-20-2013 05:05 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  The threaded mode is pretty quirky. The linear mode doesn't have this complication but also doesn't show the the thread nicely. I think that people have mostly been using the quoting mechanism to show what's being responded to.
Not as quirky: Using 'Quote' allows you to respond to the post where you pressed said button. Just avoid using 'New Reply' -- it is evil. I suggest removing this button. If you don't like to repeat the quoted text, simply delete it.

Katie, do you know how large the unknown time interval is (see OP)?

d:-/
12-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I've mentioned in a couple of places that the merging can be turned off if people don't like it. So far no one has said actually said that they don't. (This message brought to you by the New Reply button.)
12-20-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 09:23 PM by Katie Wasserman.)
Quote:Katie, do you know how large the unknown time interval is (see OP)?

No, but I read on the MYBB site that it's 24 hours by default. I think that Dave should just turn it off.

-katie

12-20-2013, 10:05 PM
(12-20-2013 09:22 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  
Quote:Katie, do you know how large the unknown time interval is (see OP)?
No, but I read on the MYBB site that it's 24 hours by default. I think that Dave should just turn it off.

It's definitively <24h, apparently even <10', but it's annoying IMHO.

:-(
12-21-2013, 12:48 AM
OK, is should be...
12-21-2013, 12:49 AM
.... disabled now.

It was 15 minutes. The default is 60.
12-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Thank you, Dave, for this drakonic measure Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)