Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
05-20-2022, 01:16 PM
RE: Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
I changed OFF to call finishAndRemoveTask() instead of finish() when running under Android 5.0 or later. The change will be in the next Free42 and Plus42 releases.
I don't know if that will fix anything, but it is the better option when it does work.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2022, 12:03 AM
(05-20-2022 01:01 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(05-20-2022 12:28 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  A possible, but unlikely IMHO, cause is that Free42 was migrated to this phone when I bought it in October, whereas Plus42 was purchased and installed from the App store when 1.0 formally launched (I never ran a pre-1.0 copy).

It's as plausible a hypothesis as any I can come up with... because I can't come up with anything at all!

Maybe there's something in the system log? I wouldn't know where else to look, at least not without being able to connect the phone to my laptop...

Ignore it, it seems I'm the only one who has seen it and it's not a bother for me, I only mentioned it as the general topic of "OFF" behavior came up and I noticed the difference.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
05-21-2022, 12:42 PM
The macro example in the skins readme does not work for me. I tried reassigning SST^ to FIX like your example "Macro: 47 28 16 1" and it appears that it instead runs E followed by Σ+. I was originally trying to reassign SST^ to one of the new catalogs, STK for example, with "Macro: 47 28 37 18 18 61" (also tried 6 for the last key), but that didn't work, so I tried your example.

I'm assuming something has changed? Is it possible to reassign one of the new catalogs (STK, STR, TIME, etc.) to one of the shift keys in that top row? I have little use for %CH or SST^ and would reassign them if I can in my own skin...

I see I can assign any named function, but was hoping I could get one of those catalog menus...
05-21-2022, 03:41 PM
Try removing the 28. When the macro is executed, it's still in the "shift pressed" state, because you're reassigning a shifted key, so the 28 at the beginning of the macro actually cancels the shift state.
05-22-2022, 06:05 PM
(05-21-2022 03:41 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Try removing the 28. When the macro is executed, it's still in the "shift pressed" state, because you're reassigning a shifted key, so the 28 at the beginning of the macro actually cancels the shift state.

Thanks, that was the trick.
06-05-2022, 02:46 AM
(06-04-2022 08:50 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(06-04-2022 08:18 AM)LinusSch Wrote:  Plus42 requires an extra row of keys, same as 48/49/50 and newRPL.

Not really. Plus42 is perfectly usable with 8 rows, or even the original HP-42S 7-row layout.

Of course it's nicer to have the additional rows, that's why I added them, but leaving them off is nothing like removing one or two rows from the HP-48/49/50 keyboards.

Thomas you mentioned that Plus42 is functional in the original 7-row layout. I would greatly prefer this since I am quite preferential to the jgoizueta skins on my iPhone SE original. I'm still trying to figure out the calculator but could you help explain where the new button mappings could be accessed in a 7-row layout?
  • DIRS can be found in CATALOG as DIR
  • DIR.FCN can be found in CATALOG as DIR
  • UNITS can be found in CATALOG as UNITS
  • UNIT.FCN can be found in CATALOG as UNIT
  • R↑ can an alternative be CATALOG STACK R↑N?
  • PLOT suggestion?
  • %CH can be found in CATALOG in FCN as %CH
  • X<> can be found in CATALOG in FCN as X<>
  • VIEW suggestion?
  • SST↑ suggestion?
  • EQN suggestion?
  • EQN.FCN suggestion?
  • TVM suggestion?
06-05-2022, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2022 02:21 PM by Thomas Okken.)
  • DIRS: CATALOG → DIRS
  • DIR.FCN: CATALOG → DIR
  • UNITS: CATALOG → UNITS
  • UNIT.FCN: CATALOG → UNIT
  • R↑: CATALOG → FCN → R↑
  • PLOT: XEQ "PLOT.M"
  • %CH: CATALOG → FCN → %CH
  • X<>: CATALOG → FCN → X<>
  • VIEW: PGM.FCN → VIEW
  • SST↑: CATALOG → PRGM → SST↑
  • EQN: SOLVER → [=] or ∫f(x) → [=] or XEQ "EQN"
  • EQN.FCN: CATALOG → EQNS
  • TVM: XEQ "TVM"

I should really make PLOT.M, EQN, and TVM appear somewhere in CATALOG, too. But they can also be assigned to CUSTOM.

Note that CATALOG → EQN is the catalog of equation variables, and CATALOG → (black on white) EQN is the catalog of named equations in EQN mode, so neither are the same as EQN mode.
06-05-2022, 09:20 AM
I could make the black-on-white EQN in CATALOG jump straight to EQN mode, instead of presenting a list of named equations. Currently, the only thing you can do with that list is select an equation, which then causes you to jump to EQN mode with that equation selected. Or at least make it do something more useful than just say No Named Equations if there are no named equations.

PLOT.M and TVM could be added under CATALOG → MISC...
06-05-2022, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2022 12:53 PM by level7.)
(06-05-2022 09:20 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I could make the black-on-white EQN in CATALOG jump straight to EQN mode, instead of presenting a list of named equations. Currently, the only thing you can do with that list is select an equation, which then causes you to jump to EQN mode with that equation selected. Or at least make it do something more useful than just say No Named Equations if there are no named equations.

PLOT.M and TVM could be added under CATALOG → MISC...

Appreciate the quick response with the mappings! Yes those would be nice to add ... but I'm super happy it's working smoothly already!

Now I know how to get to the "missing" functions and that the Free42 skins scale perfectly with more lines, it was time to retire Free42 from my phone. The king is dead, long live the king! Big Grin
06-05-2022, 02:19 PM
(06-05-2022 09:20 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I could make the black-on-white EQN in CATALOG jump straight to EQN mode

Oops, I forgot to mention that you can also reach EQN mode through the white [=] menu key in the SOLVER or ∫f(x) menus. That was the original way to enter EQN mode, before I added the extended keyboard.
06-08-2022, 08:08 AM
Dear Mr. Okken,

I like plus42 very much, expecially the equations, the directories and the look.

Nonetheless, after using Plus42 for some weeks, I have some proposals:

1. Instead the key [R^] I would like the have a Stack menu key.
In NSTK mode, it would look like the HP28/HP48 stack menu, additionally it had [4STK].
In 4STK mode, it only had [R^], [ROT], [OVER], [CLST], [PRST] and [NSTK]. (Or similar).
So you had the Stack commands immediately, the only (small) disadvantage would be: You had to press two keys to get [R^].

2. CUSTOM would be nice if it was a toggle with accompanying flag.
If cleared: After exiting all menus, it's like now.
if set: After exiting all menus, you are in the CUSTOM menu.
This would be a USER mode light.
(Alternatively you could switch [x<>] and [CUSTOM] keys ...).

3. A special label with special characters.
If you change into a directory and this label exists in this directory, it gets executed.
You could ASSIGN keys, set modes and flags.
You would need a flag to switch this behavior on and off (to get out of loops should it be necessary).

Kind regards
Joachim
06-08-2022, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2022 09:03 AM by jonmoore.)
Hurrah! I'm not alone in my wish for easier access to RPL stack manipulation commands! Smile
06-08-2022, 08:31 AM
(06-08-2022 08:12 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  Hurrah! I'm not alone in my wish for easier access to RPL stack manipulations commands! Smile
It seems we are a group of heretics....
06-08-2022, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2022 12:13 PM by Ajaja.)
It looks like there is something wrong with Begin mode in TVM.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00442250.pdf p.63:
Example: Calculating a Lease Payment. A new car valued at $13,500 is to be leased for 3 years. The lessee has the option to purchase the car for $7,500 at the end of the leasing period. What monthly payments, with one payment in advance, are necessary to yield the lessor 14% annually?
Answer:
PMT=289.19

But Plus42 v1.0.4 gives:
Code:

TVM
                   BEGIN
            12.00   P/YR
           36.00 STO "N"
        14.00 STO "I%YR"
      -13500.00 STO "PV"
        7500.00 STO "FV"
                     PMT
PMT=              295.98
What am I doing wrong here?
06-08-2022, 12:15 PM
(06-08-2022 08:08 AM)JSBach Wrote:  1. Instead the key [R^] I would like the have a Stack menu key.
In NSTK mode, it would look like the HP28/HP48 stack menu, additionally it had [4STK].
In 4STK mode, it only had [R^], [ROT], [OVER], [CLST], [PRST] and [NSTK]. (Or similar).
So you had the Stack commands immediately, the only (small) disadvantage would be: You had to press two keys to get [R^].

Hmm, interesting.

Personally, I approached the big stack primarily from a programming perspective. As long as you can program stackrobatics, I don't particularly care how hard it is to reach those functions. And the functions are all there: ROT = R↑N 3, OVER = RCL ST Y or PICK 2, etc.

But to meet these or similar requests, a custom skin could serve, for example, by mapping CATALOG → STK to the keyboard perhaps.

(06-08-2022 08:08 AM)JSBach Wrote:  2. CUSTOM would be nice if it was a toggle with accompanying flag.

A permanent CUSTOM option is already on my to-do list.

(06-08-2022 08:08 AM)JSBach Wrote:  3. A special label with special characters.
If you change into a directory and this label exists in this directory, it gets executed.
You would need a flag to switch this behavior on and off (to get out of loops should it be necessary).

I'm not following, I'm afraid. Could you elaborate?
06-08-2022, 12:46 PM
(06-08-2022 09:11 AM)Ajaja Wrote:  What am I doing wrong here?

Nothing; there is a bug in PMT. In BEGIN mode, it should divide the calculated value by 1+i (where i is the interest rate per period), and instead it multiplies by that factor.

Fix coming shortly!
06-08-2022, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2022 01:14 PM by Albert Chan.)
(06-08-2022 12:46 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  In BEGIN mode, it should divide the calculated value by 1+i (where i is the interest rate per period), and instead it multiplies by that factor.

Fix coming shortly!

Since you are fixing it, you might as well simplify the formula (for END mode)

< pmt = -(pv + fv * exp(-n * log1p(i))) / (-expm1(-n * log1p(i)) / i);

Below does the same, but much simpler.

> pmt = -((pv+fv) / expm1(n*log1p(i)) + pv)*i

Both are equivalent:

XCAS> pmt1 := -(pv + fv * exp(-n * log1p(x))) / (-expm1(-n * log1p(x)) / x);
XCAS> pmt2 := -((pv+fv) / expm1(n*log1p(x)) + pv)*x
XCAS> simplify(pmt1 - pmt2)

06-08-2022, 01:21 PM
(06-08-2022 12:15 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(06-08-2022 08:08 AM)JSBach Wrote:  1. Instead the key [R^] I would like the have a Stack menu key.

Hmm, interesting.

Personally, I approached the big stack primarily from a programming perspective. As long as you can program stackrobatics, I don't particularly care how hard it is to reach those functions. And the functions are all there: ROT = R↑N 3, OVER = RCL ST Y or PICK 2, etc.

But to meet these or similar requests, a custom skin could serve, for example, by mapping CATALOG → STK to the keyboard perhaps.

(06-08-2022 08:08 AM)JSBach Wrote:  2. CUSTOM would be nice if it was a toggle with accompanying flag.

A permanent CUSTOM option is already on my to-do list.

(06-08-2022 08:08 AM)JSBach Wrote:  3. A special label with special characters.

I'm not following, I'm afraid. Could you elaborate?

ad 1:
ROT and OVER were there to fill the 4STK menu only.
OVER and ROT are technically superfluous in the HP28/48 too, they are syntactical sugar.
In 4STK mode the general Roll and Pick functions are quite unnecessary.

ad 2:
Super. I will be still more happy with plus42.

ad 3:
It would be a simple way to set up an environment for special tasks.
E.g. for TVM problems you could automatically set FIX 2; for surveying tasks (at least in Germany) you could set up GRAD and maybe FIX 4, for BASE calculations you could ASSIGN shift and rotate keys and own programs to CUSTOM.
(I was a little bit inspired by .profile, .bashrc and .vimrc)
In HOME you could have your default environment.
It is a little bit like the states you can load and save, but the impact is much smaller.
06-08-2022, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2022 03:44 PM by Thomas Okken.)
(06-08-2022 12:46 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Fix coming shortly!

Done. Release 1.0.5 is on my web site now, and waiting for review in Google Play and the iOS App Store.

(06-08-2022 01:10 PM)Albert Chan Wrote:  Since you are fixing it, you might as well simplify the formula (for END mode)

Thanks! I'll apply that for the next release.
06-08-2022, 04:50 PM
(06-08-2022 03:33 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Done. Release 1.0.5 is on my web site now, and waiting for review in Google Play and the iOS App Store.
Thank you!
One more problem:
Code:
                     TVM
                   RESET
             1.00   P/YR
            3.00 STO "N"
       -1000.00 STO "PV"
        2000.00 STO "FV"
          0.00 STO "PMT"
                    I%YR
I%YR=     <Not a Number>

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)