ThinkJet 2225BK error light flashes twice on power on
11-21-2021, 04:09 AM
ThinkJet 2225BK error light flashes twice on power on
Hi,

I recently picked up a 2225BK ThinkJet and when I charged the battery and turned it on, it seemed to do as it should so imported some new old stock ink cartridges.
It worked fine for several days when connected to my 75C, 71B and 41C. After setting it aside for a couple of weeks, it is no longer working.

Symptoms:
If I load paper and turn it on, the amber light flashes twice. There is no power light.
If I turn it on without paper inserted, I get continuous amber light on until I load paper and then it flashes continuously. Still no power light. No action whatsoever.
The manual suggests taking it in for service. Not an option Smile
I also tried holding the LF button while turning on for self test (which worked originally) but nothing and the amber light flashes twice when button released.

Things I've checked:
The ribbon cable looks in good condition. I cleaned the terminal surfaces.
I removed ever capacitor and checked it with an ESR meter out of circuit. All seemed within spec but I replaced two anyway.
Visual check shows nothing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers, Gary.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2021, 04:56 AM
RE: ThinkJet 2225BK error light flashes twice on power on
After charging the battery, did you verify it was good? Old batteries may need to be replaced even thought they appear to take a charge.

Two, why look for NOS ink cartridges when new ones are readily available?
https://www.staples.com/HP-Black-Ink-Car...uct_235432
11-22-2021, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I gave it a good charge prior to seeing the amber light issue and measured the voltage at around 4.8V so I assumed the battery pack had four cells @1.2V. It seemed to hold this charge okay.
I see now, after opening the pack, it has 6 cells so should be 7.2V. The batteries are looking a little worse for wear too. I should replace those but in the meantime, I guess it's safe enough to run the printer from a bench power supply?
The last lot of batteries I bought were fairly low quality and did not last long. I had trouble tracking down tabbed cells so had to quickly solder on to the terminals directly which may have damaged the cells.

I wasn't aware of the cartridges being available still. We don't have a Staples here but I'll have a search around on that part number.

Cheers,
Gary
11-22-2021, 01:53 PM
It turns out your living room has them available too:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Cartridge-5160...B00000J9JJ

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)