New Prime User Question
11-25-2021, 06:51 PM
New Prime User Question
I finally decided to add a Prime to my collection (a G2 model) and wondered if I should proceed to the HPcalc.org site to download and firmware updates or recommended applications. (If so, can I just hook it directly to my computer and download directly?). I remember doing something similar with my 49G+ about fifteen years ago, but I think I did it using the SD card (don’t recall).

I feel like a kid in a big candy store and need to be pointed in the right direction as I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2021, 07:01 PM
RE: New Prime User Question
hpcalc.org is the source for HP official applications, which are currently the only way to upgrade firmware and do file transfers to the Prime. You probably want the "PC Programs" section of the Prime area on the website: https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/pc/.

The Connectivity Kit is the tool for file transfer and firmware upgrades. It will automatically find the new firmware version (if the calculator isn't already up to date) and ask you if you want to install it on the calculator. You don't need to download the firmware update separately.

Once you have the Connectivity Kit, just plug in the Prime and the software will find the calculator automatically.

P.S. This isn't technically the right thread for this kind of discussion; the Software Libraries are for user-written programs. A mod will probably come by and move this thread to the "HP Prime" forum area.
11-25-2021, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2021 07:17 PM by SEasterling.)
Sorry about that! (Moderators, please relocate this thread as you deem necessary.).

I want to make sure I verify the current version on the calculator and then download any newer version available and grab other free applications available. Thanks!

Also, is it the consensus here that the prime is the last great calculator that HP will ever make?
11-25-2021, 10:40 PM
Well, that was the consensus (at least among the Prime fans)...and then this and this happened.
11-25-2021, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2021 08:09 PM by SEasterling.)
It looks like my calc’s software version is 2.0.0.13865 (2018 08 02) and CAS version 1.4.9. How do I get the newest versions? I went to HPCalc.org and downloaded the Connectivity Kit and plugged my Prime into my computer, but there was no prompt to update the software. After unplugging and trying again, it seems to do nothing. A quick Google search suggests my Calc OS is not up to date.

EDIT: I figured it out. Now I need to sort out of the Connectivity Kit used for the Prime will work for the 48/49 Series. Trial and error! LOL!
11-26-2021, 09:31 PM
I can assure with one hundred percent certainty that the HP Connectivity Kit does not work with any calculators except the Prime. The Prime's communication protocol is proprietary and not well understood, and (I think) it doesn't even use a virtual serial port---instead, it uses the USB HID standard, which is far more flexible.

The 48/49/50 all use commonly found serial protocols, Kermit and XModem, which are supported by many different pieces of software. HP also made a different Connectivity Kit for the RPL models, if you want to use a vendor tool. I don't know if it's any good though...I mostly use Linux and I just made my own tool, ha ha.
11-26-2021, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2021 12:18 PM by SEasterling.)
I’m all set with the Connectivity Kit and updates with my Prime, but after revisiting a version of the Kit that works on Win10 and my 49G+, that doesn’t seem to work. I think the last firmware update I did with the 49G+ was via SD card. Oh well, too far off-topic now. Thanks for the help. Now to try to grab some applications and download to my new Prime.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)