installing a 131kb .bin on ihp48
12-04-2021, 07:07 PM
installing a 131kb .bin on ihp48
Hello Everyone,

I am new the world of the HP 48 so this is likely an easy problem to solve but I'm at my wit's end.

I am trying to install a 131kb .bin file on my iHp48 emulator, it is a dump of an old navigation card pack. You can see the link here: https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7082

I cannot drop the file into the stack as I get "Error! This calculator does not have enough free memory to load this text file." If I go to Library and hit merge I am able to drop the file into the stack and store it as a variable, but here's where my problem starts: I don't know what to do next. I've tried storing it into a port by keeping the variable on the stack and pressing a port number and STO but I get a "STO Error: Bad Argument Type" error.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2021, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2021 01:35 AM by Raymond Del Tondo.)
RE: installing a 131kb .bin on ihp48
If you load the .bin file to your HP 48 (either emulated or real) you'll get a long string, not a binary object.

Actually the long string contains the libary, but it's wrapped into a string. The string is just a few bytes larger than the room of a 128K card.

According to the Readme, the .bin file is a dump from a Sparcom card.
So you first have to "undump" it to get a binary file again.

This can be achieved easily with a small program which chunkwise reads the string chars from the first char on, and copies the chunks to a freed RAM card, until the whole binary contents of the string have been copied to the RAM card.
Note that not the string object will be copied, only the chars in it. The chars make up the ROM image.
I'm sure that such a copy program exists on hpcalc. If not, jut let us know, and maybe someone will write one;-)

For the STO Error: This happens if the object you try to store is not a library.

-- Ray
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)