can I regularly use a working, original 19C printer
01-31-2022, 11:19 AM
can I regularly use a working, original 19C printer
I've just acquired a 19C that is in excellent condition that works perfectly including the printer so I'm very happy ?

Just wondering whether I can realistically expect to be able to use the printer or whether it is likely to fail due to known issues with the design/mechanism after all this time.

Not talking about printing everyday but want to know I can print if/when I want to without worrying about it dying.

I read another 19C thread about sourcing paper for the 19C that said the printer mechanism will likely die before you run out of paper but not sure how true that is so looking for information from those on the forum with experience to advise before I buy some paper ?

TIA, dmh

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2022, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2022 11:37 AM by isanchez.)
RE: can I regularly use a working, original 19C printer
Hi,

I would keep it safe. This is a delicate HP model with some weak risky points: the printer, charging the batteries, external charger use risks, ...and it is rare, expensive (this is a good argument for me also), and not easily repairable.

I want to add (maybe it is not your case) that I find very difficult to purchase the termal paper rolls.

This is my honest opinion (I have one never used, in original box, fully working...and I shall keep it there for the rests)

For everyday use I prefer more "solid" designs... i.e. any classic model (these are like tanks) and even, with a certain care, HP97 model with the same or more functionalities.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Ignacio
Find all posts by this user
01-31-2022, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2022 12:27 PM by dmh.)
Thanks for your reply.

Reading some 19C repair threads certainly reinforces your points and is definitely beyond me if something breaks.

It just seems sad to never use these beautiful devices. I understand that they likely won't last forever anyway as the LED displays will eventually fail with age too (even without use I believe).

The only other printer I have that works is the 82240A. All my 41 printers have issues unfortunately.

If the 19C is that fragile that I shouldn't use it then why keep it? Just to look at?

Regarding the paper, look for taxi receipt printer paper, it's the same size I discovered while searching (note, I haven't tried this yet but it's readily available).

(01-31-2022 11:32 AM)isanchez Wrote:  Hi,

I would keep it safe. This is a delicate HP model with some weak risky points: the printer, charging the batteries, external charger use risks, ...and it is rare, expensive (this is a good argument for me also), and not easily repairable.

I want to add (maybe it is not your case) that I find very difficult to find the termal paper rolls.

This is my honest opinion (I have one never used, in original box, fully working...and I shall keep it there for the rest)

For everyday use I prefer more "solid" designs... i.e. any classic model (these are like tanks) and even, with a certain care, HP97 model with the same or more functionalities.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Ignacio

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-31-2022, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2022 12:34 PM by isanchez.)
Hi,

I nearly fully agree with you.

In any case, HP41 series and peripherals are (I would say with a certain risk) easily repairable. There are many spares and 3D printed parts that can solve nearly all pathologies...maybe only the display replacement is now not solved. Printers & card readers can be repaired with a minimum of skills.

I have a couple of original HP termal paper boxes, but it has been so difficult to find this paper. I live in Spain. If you succeed with this issue, it would be nice to share it with us.

"If the 19C is that fragile that I shouldn't use it then why keep it? Just to look at?" I do not have an answer to this because all answers are acceptable...in any case, if you plan to throw it, please call me before doing it...;-)

Regards

Ignacio
02-01-2022, 03:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2022 03:16 AM by BobVA.)
I bought some 1.5 inch wide thermal printer tape from Amazon and it seems to work fine. I did have to re-spool it into smaller rolls to fit the 19c printer compartment, though.

I exercise the printer every few weeks to keep it from flat-spotting the feed mechanism. Perhaps this is bad stewardship but, as you noted, what fun is a toy if you can't play with it?
02-01-2022, 08:39 AM
Hello,

I live in Sweden and here it is no problem to buy 38mm thermal paper from office stores since this still is a standard width although not the most common. I think it should be available at most large office stores.

Regarding to use or not to use, my personal experience is that a moderate use normally is of a certain benefit since the mechanisms and wheels are “exercised” and keeps them from getting stuck or deformed. I stored one hp-97 calculator for a year or so, and when I tried to use it again the card reader (which I had fixed with o-rings a couple of years ago) worked erratically. I had to run many cards to make it work properly again.

best regards
Jonas
02-02-2022, 03:27 PM
Hello,

I agree with you Jonas, it is good to regularly check the working status of these models (all with card readers and/or printers, I would say once a year)... In my experience, at first, it usually fails and I get stressed , but after a couple of tries it works fine and I run to store it back again. :-)

It's good to work from time to time with all these calculators, adn enjoy of it, but taking into account that are old, sometimes expensive, difficult to repair and not prepared for an excessive workload.

I would appreciatte very much the information about the paper rolls, as here in Spain it is not an usual size nowadays. Some years ago I find an Internet provider, but the minimum buy were 100 rolls + SC, which was a big invoice.

Kind regards

Ignacio
02-02-2022, 05:05 PM
Hello Ignacio,

I am not a master of Spanish, but perhaps this will work?

https://www.amazon.es/BeMatik-t%C3%A9rmi...77&sr=8-28

The rolls seem to have a large diameter, but the width seems OK.

best regards
Jonas
02-03-2022, 08:45 AM
Yess! Thanks a lot.

Regards

Ignacio

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)