HP-41CV doesn't function properly
02-15-2022, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2022 08:26 PM by Gene.)
HP-41CV doesn't function properly
I just bought a HP-41CV with printer, card reader and some extra modules. I managed to get it running, but the function is a bit uncertain. When I cleaned it there was some corrosion on the leftmost battery contact, and that one looks a bit worn. So I turning to the expertis on this site, to get it more reliable, is buying a new battery bay and zebra connector the way to go?
To my eyes everything except the leftmost battery contact looks good and no visible corrosion.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2022, 05:34 PM
RE: HP-41CV don't function properly
Perhaps you should contact thecalculatorstore.com which is specilized in repairing HP 41 calculators. There is as well a book which might help you.
02-15-2022, 05:52 PM
(02-15-2022 05:34 PM)rawi Wrote:  Perhaps you should contact thecalculatorstore.com which is specilized in repairing HP 41 calculators. There is as well a book which might help you.

I bought that book and I notice that they have a new battery bay and zebra connector.
The symptoms I have notice so far is: can be hard to turn on/off, don't react to key presses and also I have got some MEMORY LOST. It also show som strange symbols in the display.
02-15-2022, 07:34 PM
(02-15-2022 05:52 PM)LarsF Wrote:  
(02-15-2022 05:34 PM)rawi Wrote:  Perhaps you should contact thecalculatorstore.com which is specilized in repairing HP 41 calculators. There is as well a book which might help you.

I bought that book and I notice that they have a new battery bay and zebra connector.
The symptoms I have notice so far is: can be hard to turn on/off, don't react to key presses and also I have got some MEMORY LOST. It also show som strange symbols in the display.

Those are usually signs of broken posts.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2022, 01:13 PM
RE: HP-41CV doesn't function properly
(02-15-2022 07:34 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(02-15-2022 05:52 PM)LarsF Wrote:  I bought that book and I notice that they have a new battery bay and zebra connector.

Those are usually signs of broken posts.

You maybe right, I found some small cracks in the lower posts, I have order some spareparts so I hope I get it running like it should
02-24-2022, 05:53 PM
I have replace the pieces that I was suspecting was the problem, but it still don't function properly Sad So I decided to send it to The Calculator Store in Spain, I hope they get it to run like it suppose to do. In my eyes, the condition is very good, so it will be a lost if I don't get this running again. (what wouldn't you do for an old calculator that was a dream when it was released in the late 70's)
02-26-2022, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2022 07:29 AM by aurelio.)
(02-24-2022 05:53 PM)LarsF Wrote:  I have replace the pieces that I was suspecting was the problem, but it still don't function properly Sad So I decided to send it to The Calculator Store in Spain, I hope they get it to run like it suppose to do. In my eyes, the condition is very good, so it will be a lost if I don't get this running again. (what wouldn't you do for an old calculator that was a dream when it was released in the late 70's)

Usually the problem (a false contact) due to one ore more broken posts, it's not so simple to solve
after any repairing (I mean a replacement or a rebuilt of the posts) there is to try quite a lot to adjusting the screw's tightening.
You get this kind of problem (but it's rare) even after a replacement of the board, into a perfect look machine, but this is more simple to solve, finding by attempts the good thghtening: these machines are forty years old... Usually you get, as you described, @@ o strange characters in place of the starting four zeroes or the "MEMORY LOST".

I hope and I'm quite sure the shop will return you a perfectly workig 41, good choice.
All the best

edit: typos
03-15-2022, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2022 06:55 PM by LarsF.)
(02-26-2022 08:38 AM)aurelio Wrote:  
(02-24-2022 05:53 PM)LarsF Wrote:  I have replace the pieces that I was suspecting was the problem, but it still don't function properly Sad So I decided to send it to The Calculator Store in Spain, I hope they get it to run like it suppose to do. In my eyes, the condition is very good, so it will be a lost if I don't get this running again. (what wouldn't you do for an old calculator that was a dream when it was released in the late 70's)

Usually the problem (a false contact) due to one ore more broken posts, it's not so simple to solve
after any repairing (I mean a replacement or a rebuilt of the posts) there is to try quite a lot to adjusting the screw's tightening.
You get this kind of problem (but it's rare) even after a replacement of the board, into a perfect look machine, but this is more simple to solve, finding by attempts the good thghtening: these machines are forty years old... Usually you get, as you described, @@ o strange characters in place of the starting four zeroes or the "MEMORY LOST".

I hope and I'm quite sure the shop will return you a perfectly workig 41, good choice.
All the best

edit: typos

You were right, It returned and all is working perfect. It was something with the processor card that was the problem and it was replaced.

It was sent from Spain yesterday arrived at my home in Sweden today! That's very impressive.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-16-2022, 07:50 AM
(03-15-2022 06:52 PM)LarsF Wrote:  You were right, It returned and all is working perfect. It was something with the processor card that was the problem and it was replaced.

It was sent from Spain yesterday arrived at my home in Sweden today! That's very impressive.

Glad to read that, enjoy your 41!

Ciao
Aurelio

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)