(PC-1211) Le château de tihp (The Castle of Tihp)
02-16-2022, 09:22 PM
(PC-1211) Le château de tihp (The Castle of Tihp)
This is a clever little game I found while perusing scans of La Revue des Sharpentiers, issue #4. It's actually a conversion of a game for the HP 33 and TI-57, from Jeux et Strategie, issue #11. I don't see any obvious author credit attached to either.

This is a quick English translation of the program and accompanying instructions, using my extremely weak French knowledge, and a little help from Google translate. It's super short - you should be able to type it in in only a few minutes!

Code:
5 REM "TIHP"
10 "=":CLEAR:D=3:E=5:B=11:Y=B
15 A=(A+π)^5:A=A-INT A:G=INT(3A+1):X=E:E=D:D=X:Z=20:GOTO 45
20 X=G:Z=25:GOTO 45
25 B=F
30 BEEP 1:IF Y=B PAUSE "THE DOOR OPENS!":GOTO 40
35 PAUSE "THE DOOR RESISTS!"
40 PRINT "POSITION: ROOM #";B:Z=B:GOTO 55
45 X=1/X*F:X=X-INT X:IF X=0 THEN 30
50 GOTO Z
55 INPUT "DESTINATION: ROOM #";F:Y=F:GOTO 15

This is the mysterious castle of Tihp, from which escape is not so easy! As prisoner, however, you try for the umpteenth time to escape. It is not so simple. Some doors have their "open sesame", which you will have to find... But some others never open! Are you ready to try the adventure?

THE GAME: Begin by creating the floor plan of a castle. Include any number of rooms, which you will number one by one. All positive integers can be used. The starting space will be marked 11. Treat all adjacent rooms as connected by doors. You will encounter doors that always open, others never, and still others that open... sometimes. The latter can very well close just as you pass and no longer open. Move from one room to another, towards the exit, by entering the number written in the room to which you wish to go, as long as it is adjacent to the one where you are currently. Rooms that meet only at the corners are not adjacent and thus have no door between them. If you are stuck in a room or in a part of the castle, you can try to "force open doors". That is to say, a new attempt to go through a door that was previously closed. After several games you may begin to understand the logic of the opening and closing of the doors. If you reach room 99, you have escaped the castle.

Sample Castle Floor Plan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2022, 12:27 AM
RE: (PC-1211) Le château de tihp (The Castle of Tihp)
(02-16-2022 09:22 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  This is a quick English translation of the program and accompanying instructions, using my extremely weak French knowledge, and a little help from Google translate.
Good job Dave, the translation convey what was said in French.
Sylvain
PS: I often use reverso.net to validate my English sentences or to translate a French sentence to English.
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2022, 12:31 AM
(02-17-2022 12:27 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(02-16-2022 09:22 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  This is a quick English translation of the program and accompanying instructions, using my extremely weak French knowledge, and a little help from Google translate.
Good job Dave, the translation convey what was said in French.
Sylvain
PS: I often use reverso.net to validate my English sentences or to translate a French sentence to English.

Thanks for validating my results. And I should clarify that by "a little help" I mean "a lot of help". Wink But French and English share so many cognates that it's relatively easy to gloss the general meaning, at least.
02-17-2022, 05:33 PM
Interesting puzzle. Thanks for sharing!

Tihp = Ti + HP

Not remotely HP, right? Wink

- Rob

"I count on old friends" -- HP 71B,Prime|Ti VOY200,Nspire CXII CAS|Casio fx-CG50...|Sharp PC-G850,E500,2500,1500,14xx,13xx,12xx...
02-17-2022, 06:23 PM
(02-17-2022 05:33 PM)robve Wrote:  Interesting puzzle. Thanks for sharing!

Tihp = Ti + HP

Not remotely HP, right? Wink

- Rob

Yeah, the original version in Jeux et Strategie had program listings for the TI-57 and HP 33E, so that's no doubt where the name came from. Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)