Canon F-800P full featured landscape with features of several HP Voyager models
03-26-2022, 05:32 AM
Canon F-800P full featured landscape with features of several HP Voyager models
I recently acquired this small, stunning, feature rich landscape form factor calculator and couldn't find much about it online, not even the manual, so I made a video about it.

Main shortcoming is no visibility or editing of programs unfortunately - if it had that it would be outstanding!

Are there many out there? Have forum members got them / seen them?

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2022, 07:58 AM
RE: Canon F-800P full featured landscape with features of several HP Voyager models
Wow I had not seen that model before. TI had a couple of horizontal format models including the programmable TI-66. I don’t think Casio or Sharp had a horizontal format model. Very cool!
03-26-2022, 03:28 PM
RE: Canon F-800P full featured landscape with features of several HP Voyager models
There is very limited information on the F-800P on the Internet. I looked for one for years with no success.
03-26-2022, 03:32 PM
Hi,

yes, it's a very nice machine. Here and here you'll find more information. It is programmable with 128 program steps and it is identical to the Privileg SR 12PR and the Citizen SRP-175. Unfortunately I could not find a manual for any of these models.

Best regards

Karl
Find all posts by this user
03-26-2022, 05:30 PM
Hello!

(03-26-2022 03:32 PM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  Unfortunately I could not find a manual for any of these models.

There is currently one for sale at 6 Euros "buy it now" on German eBay (just the manual, not the calculator...).

Regards
Max
03-27-2022, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2022 07:44 AM by Duane Hess.)
No help here, but a few items which may indirectly help.

My awareness of the scientific/statistical Canon F-73 (non-programmable), F-73P (programmable), FP-11P (i.e. F-73P with printer), F-400, FS-600 and F-800/800P (and other models) is they are progressively the same device with additional function/capability (essentially). As you progress through the model numbers you progress age and technology-wise. i.e. the F-73 is mid 70's and F-800 mid 80s(?). Basically, the programming "model" doesn't change between the units. The 800/800P has significantly more program steps but still implements only the x>0 and x<=M and subsequent GOTO +/-1..9; which you already know.

The comment is some of those older device manuals are available. 73/73P scans are around, but of low quality as the original manual is quite poor. Watched the YouTube video; thought it was quite good. If you can make that, the manuals for the older units probably tell you stuff you already know.

However, the Canon financial and scientific hand-held series (after they started the metal box format; F-73 & Financial) had publications called workbooks. They were pseudo instruction manuals and example handbooks. For the scientific devices newer releases were published with the newer calcs (don't know how many). But in addition to usage examples also described many of the specific keystrokes of the above units. The workbook included directions for specific keystroke functions. If your unit was older, you simply did not have some specific key.

Found a place called gumtree (guess its a flea-bay equivalent, never used it) the scientific handbook for sale with pictures showing some of the content:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carindale...1272322434

Have never seen an actual F-800/800P manual that I recall.

For whatever its worth.
03-27-2022, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the information and nice find - I missed that :-)

(03-27-2022 07:43 AM)Duane Hess Wrote:  No help here, but a few items which may indirectly help.

My awareness of the scientific/statistical Canon F-73 (non-programmable), F-73P (programmable), FP-11P (i.e. F-73P with printer), F-400, FS-600 and F-800/800P (and other models) is they are progressively the same device with additional function/capability (essentially). As you progress through the model numbers you progress age and technology-wise. i.e. the F-73 is mid 70's and F-800 mid 80s(?). Basically, the programming "model" doesn't change between the units. The 800/800P has significantly more program steps but still implements only the x>0 and x<=M and subsequent GOTO +/-1..9; which you already know.

The comment is some of those older device manuals are available. 73/73P scans are around, but of low quality as the original manual is quite poor. Watched the YouTube video; thought it was quite good. If you can make that, the manuals for the older units probably tell you stuff you already know.

However, the Canon financial and scientific hand-held series (after they started the metal box format; F-73 & Financial) had publications called workbooks. They were pseudo instruction manuals and example handbooks. For the scientific devices newer releases were published with the newer calcs (don't know how many). But in addition to usage examples also described many of the specific keystrokes of the above units. The workbook included directions for specific keystroke functions. If your unit was older, you simply did not have some specific key.

Found a place called gumtree (guess its a flea-bay equivalent, never used it) the scientific handbook for sale with pictures showing some of the content:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carindale...1272322434

Have never seen an actual F-800/800P manual that I recall.

For whatever its worth.

03-27-2022, 11:11 PM
I couldn't find the manual but did see an F-800P in box for $100 US.

(03-26-2022 05:30 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(03-26-2022 03:32 PM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  Unfortunately I could not find a manual for any of these models.

There is currently one for sale at 6 Euros "buy it now" on German eBay (just the manual, not the calculator...).

Regards
Max

03-28-2022, 07:23 AM
Hello dmh

Here's my F-800P along with some of its equivalents (maybe all of them, that I don't know for sure). Except for the Canon I have their manual as well.

[Image: ompSsPv.jpeg][Image: 4nWdShl.jpeg]

As far as I can tell from a few random checks, https://sites.google.com/site/walkingcal...en-srp-175 appears to be a faithful transcription, including pictures.

As Duane mentioned, there are many more Citizen models and OEM versions with the same functionality. One of them is quite bizarre Citizen SRP-80 with a folding design and two different keyboard technologies. I have one in my possession too but it's so ugly that I will not show it here :-)
03-28-2022, 11:33 AM
Hello!

(03-27-2022 11:11 PM)dmh Wrote:  I couldn't find the manual ...

It is still there, item number 384697121799 (not my auction nor do I know the seller).

Regards
Max
03-28-2022, 11:53 AM
Wow, there's more than I thought / had heard of.

Any preference? I assume the keyboards all feel the same.

I still think the Canon looks the best.

Thanks for the manual link, I had a look and it appears accurate but not well written (maybe due to translation(s)).

(03-28-2022 07:23 AM)vaklaff Wrote:  Hello dmh

Here's my F-800P along with some of its equivalents (maybe all of them, that I don't know for sure). Except for the Canon I have their manual as well.

[Image: ompSsPv.jpeg][Image: 4nWdShl.jpeg]

As far as I can tell from a few random checks, https://sites.google.com/site/walkingcal...en-srp-175 appears to be a faithful transcription, including pictures.

As Duane mentioned, there are many more Citizen models and OEM versions with the same functionality. One of them is quite bizarre Citizen SRP-80 with a folding design and two different keyboard technologies. I have one in my possession too but it's so ugly that I will not show it here :-)

03-28-2022, 01:25 PM
(03-28-2022 11:53 AM)dmh Wrote:  Any preference? I assume the keyboards all feel the same.

I still think the Canon looks the best.

There's no difference in the keyboards, actually in anything :-). My guess is that the original design is Citizen's and the rest are OEMs with different painting, just Canon made a bit of design effort - the slanted keys and smaller case - and I'd agree it looks the best. But the feel is basically the same.

(03-28-2022 11:53 AM)dmh Wrote:  Thanks for the manual link, I had a look and it appears accurate but not well written (maybe due to translation(s)).

Haha, that's one advantage of us non-native speakers - we don't get distracted by non-native English in manuals :-)

The text appears to be the same in the link and in the manuals I have. Maybe written originally in Japanese, then translated in-house by non-native speakers and Philips etc. didn't bother to improve it. IMHO there's not much to expand on, namely the programming model is so simple and editing so unfriendly that no one would use it for anything complicated...

Thank you for creating the video, I enjoyed it! Forgot to mention it in my previous post.
03-28-2022, 01:50 PM
The Panasonic JE-554U is another nice clone of this machine, though in a portrait aspect ratio.

http://www.rskey.org/je554u

These kind of remind me of a cross between the TI-35 Plus and TI-35X, with the programmability of a Casio fx-3800 but with a bit more flow control capability. And I think the Panasonic version is about as big as those three calculators stuck together. Wink
03-28-2022, 04:55 PM
(03-26-2022 07:58 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Wow I had not seen that model before. TI had a couple of horizontal format models including the programmable TI-66. I don’t think Casio or Sharp had a horizontal format model. Very cool!

Yeah, that was the TI Galaxy series, not bad IMHO. I've just went through my shoe boxes and found yet another horizontal programmable calculator: Elektronika MK-52, the "eggog". But, as you said, no Casio, no Sharp.

For some reason I am quite fond of the horizontal models. Maybe because of the Voyager series, my absolute favorite. Or possibly it's the other way around :-)
03-29-2022, 12:27 PM
Indeed nice calculators. I've got a F-800P and a SC2000.
I used the SC2000 a lot for normal calculations and base conversions, but never for programming. Not being able to edit your program does not work for me.
03-30-2022, 05:51 AM
What a great find! I have a Privileg SR 12PR in my collection and until now didn't know anything about the variety of sibling models around!
03-31-2022, 03:30 PM
Is It RPN? Is the quaity of the keys the same of Voyagers?

If not, big difference then.
04-03-2022, 11:15 AM
No and no.

Do any keyboards compete with the HP hinged keyboards with their satisfying click feeling?

(03-31-2022 03:30 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Is It RPN? Is the quaity of the keys the same of Voyagers?

If not, big difference then.

04-03-2022, 12:43 PM
I have the Olivetti. Like it.

Keys have no click at all. Nothing.

Gene
04-06-2022, 02:53 PM
(04-03-2022 11:15 AM)dmh Wrote:  Do any keyboards compete with the HP hinged keyboards with their satisfying click feeling?

You are absolutely right.

Cheers

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)