CR2032 batteries reviewed
12-13-2023, 09:04 PM
CR2032 batteries reviewed
Ever wonder if all CR2032 batteries are created equal? According to this video, they definitely are not. In fact, some last orders of magnitude longer than others.

The table starting at 0:35 shows the cost per battery. The table starting at 2:01 shows the test results. Based on this, I bought a bunch of Toshiba lithium cells which are near the top for performance and the bottom for cost. Woo hoo!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2023, 06:14 AM
RE: CR2032 batteries reviewed
Another thing to consider is that battery cost can vary wildly depending on where we buy them. A few weeks ago, I needed some CR2032s. I was in a hurry and had a prescription to pick up at Walgreens, a US pharmacy chain. I bought a 4-pack of Energizers there for $21. When I got home, I found a 10-pack of Panasonics on Amazon for just under $10. I quickly returned the Energizers.

I’ve learned to avoid Chinese brand names, regardless of the cost savings. Chinese manufacturers are perfectly capable of making quality items, particularly for companies based elsewhere. But left to their own (pardon the pun) devices, often their business strategy is to make things as cheaply as possible and undersell everyone else. Known USA, EU and Japanese brand items are usually better, and consistent over time.

There’s a joke among photographers. If you buy five Chinese aftermarket batteries for your camera, two will work, but have lower capacity than the originals. One will barely work, and two won’t hold a charge at all. I can confirm that joke from experience.
12-14-2023, 07:58 AM
GP is probably the most highly respected of the Chinese brands. They weren't included in this test though.

— Ian Abbott
12-14-2023, 08:29 AM
Huh?? $6,79 a piece for Vartas?
Even in expensive Norway one buy a 5-pack for NOK 99,90 (just shy of $10, so around $2 per piece). Guess which one I go for Wink

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
12-14-2023, 11:01 AM
Hello!

(12-14-2023 08:29 AM)DA74254 Wrote:  Huh?? $6,79 a piece for Vartas?
Even in expensive Norway one buy a 5-pack for NOK 99,90 (just shy of $10, so around $2 per piece). Guess which one I go for Wink

Here in Germany we seem to live in "wonderlland" regarding battery prices: On eBay you can get 100 Varta CR2032 batteries for 40 Euros shipping included. I don't need that many (have been trying to avoid disposable batteries since decades as good as I can) so I buy them in packs of 20 for a few cents more per piece. Of course, if you go to a local photo store you can easily pay 5 Euros for a single battery of exactly the same type.

Regards
Max
12-14-2023, 03:16 PM
(12-14-2023 07:58 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  GP is probably the most highly respected of the Chinese brands. They weren't included in this test though.

I tend to use GP batteries everywhere. They don't seem to leak in anything (yet).

I did have a GP LR44 explode on me though. In the middle of the night there was a quite loud bang from the kids bedroom. Rushed in there and everyone looking a bit worried for obvious reasons. After searching for ages I noticed a thin wisp of smoke coming out of a small plastic illuminated llama's butt hole. Turns out the thing had been left on for a couple of days and some kind of chemical breakdown had occurred after full discharge and caused it to explode.

I put them in my 32Sii and sleep with one eye open.
12-14-2023, 11:53 PM
I haven't seem many differences between coin cells of major brands (not GP or other chinese brands) if they are genuine.

I have experienced very bad performance from the same brands bought from chinese stores so I suspect these were forgeries thought I don't have proofs. So I tend to buy from reputed shops even if they are more expensive.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)