Decimal separator in woodstock series displays
05-03-2022, 07:11 PM
Decimal separator in woodstock series displays
Hello, I would like to know some more about the comma in the woodstocks' displays. My first HP calculator was a HP25c made in Singapore (76), bought in Italy in the 1977, with a "dot" decimal point. Other two calculators HP29c (79) and a second HP25c (78), both made in Singapore which I bought several years later also have the "dot" decimal separator. A fourth calculator, made in USA, a HP21 (75), shows instead the comma as decimal separator. If I'm not wrong comma is more a european "feature", maybe reserved for the overseas market, so for me unexpected to see in my oldest woodstock, the only one made in USA...
This actually is one of a few HP "red dot" calculator I have seen with a comma in place of the dot, togheter with a couple of spices
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2022, 08:37 PM
RE: Decimal separator in woodstock series displays
(05-03-2022 07:11 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Hello, I would like to know some more about the comma in the woodstocks' displays. My first HP calculator was a HP25c made in Singapore (76), bought in Italy in the 1977, with a "dot" decimal point. Other two calculators HP29c (79) and a second HP25c (78), both made in Singapore which I bought several years later also have the "dot" decimal separator. A fourth calculator, made in USA, a HP21 (75), shows instead the comma as decimal separator. If I'm not wrong comma is more a european "feature", maybe reserved for the overseas market, so for me unexpected to see in my oldest woodstock, the only one made in USA...
This actually is one of a few HP "red dot" calculator I have seen with a comma in place of the dot, togheter with a couple of spices

https://www.hpmuseum.org/collect.htm#variations

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2022, 08:57 PM
RE: Decimal separator in woodstock series displays
(05-03-2022 08:37 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(05-03-2022 07:11 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Hello, I would like to know some more about the comma in the woodstocks' displays. My first HP calculator was a HP25c made in Singapore (76), bought in Italy in the 1977, with a "dot" decimal point. Other two calculators HP29c (79) and a second HP25c (78), both made in Singapore which I bought several years later also have the "dot" decimal separator. A fourth calculator, made in USA, a HP21 (75), shows instead the comma as decimal separator. If I'm not wrong comma is more a european "feature", maybe reserved for the overseas market, so for me unexpected to see in my oldest woodstock, the only one made in USA...

https://www.hpmuseum.org/collect.htm#variations
thank-you Massimo, I read:
"Comma and Dot Variations
Some HP calculators made for the European market had the commas and dots reversed as compared to their American counterparts. The 20 series used two different displays with the decimals being either square or triangular. The triangular decimals could be interpreted as either dots or commas and so were sold in both the US and Europe. The 30 series models had a jumper change between European and U.S. comma/point formats. (Many later models can be switched by the user.)"
My HP21 from 1975 has the triangular decimal, and maybe it really "could be interpreted as either dot or comma", but I notice a big difference : the triangular one is placed under the line of the numbers, while the dot is alligned with them
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)