HP 55 replacement labels?
05-12-2022, 04:19 PM
HP 55 replacement labels?
I just got a 55 that's in very nice condition overall, apart from missing the rear "quick reference" label, and the front brand/model number label. Well, and the silver paint above the switches is mostly worn away, but that's just the sign of a well-loved calculator. Wink After a little time spent cleaning the key and switch contacts, it's working beautifully.

Has anybody made any replacement labels for this model? Doesn't have to be metal or anything - a heavy die-cut plastic or the like would be perfectly fine. Sadly, the serial number decal is gone too, but for obvious reasons I don't expect to replace that one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2022, 04:27 PM
RE: HP 55 replacement labels?
Unfortunately, Ben Ong in Malaysia is out of that business, and I haven't heard of any other replacements.
05-12-2022, 04:52 PM
Nuts! I would also settle for good quality scans that I can print and laminate.
05-12-2022, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2022 06:51 PM by teenix.)
I've used a Molotow Liquid Chrome pen to replenish the silver paint areas.

A light sanding with very fine emery paper helps to smooth out any crack lines in the original silver. You can use tape to mask areas you don't want to scratch with the paper or affect with the pen.

One tip if you try this is to use the pen on one continuous stroke along the plastic or you get ripples where you stop and start.

Other methods have been mentioned on the Forum as well.

cheers

Tony
Find all posts by this user
05-16-2022, 02:22 PM
I found some silver chrome paint at the local hobby shop and restored the strip between the switches and display. I also touched up a couple of spots on the sides and bottom. It looks pretty good!

I also printed out the scan of the back label that's here on the museum, sandwiched it between two pieces of clear matte shelf paper, and stuck it to the back with rubber cement (I left the top corners a bit flappy so I can get to the screw holes). It's not going to fool anybody, but it's entirely readable. Smile

https://i.imgur.com/JMGyMIw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jtfLNEN.jpg

It may be HP's weakest programmable, but I don't think I'd put it on my list of top-10 worst HP calculators like Gene did. Wink
05-20-2022, 04:10 PM
@Dave Britten - That's a good solution for the back label!

Regards,
Dave

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)