Graphing plots a large distance from 0
05-11-2022, 08:18 PM
Graphing plots a large distance from 0
I was a about to try to plot Tupper's self referential' formula on my Prime, then realised that it would require viewing the graph above 10^499 above the Y axis.

Is there a way to view a graphed plot so far from the x or y axis? A couple of things I wanted to view this week have seemed to be out of bounds to the calculator.

Is there a trick to go about viewing large distances from the axis's?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2022, 12:35 PM
RE: Graphing plots a large distance from 0
I don't know if this would work but we could try substituting y for y - alpha, where alpha is a large number, making y = alpha the new "x-axis". You may have to break the graph into parts.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-2022, 10:12 PM
I have been trying to do this using the Advanced Graphing app.

If I try to use Go To on the touch-screen soft buttons, to go to x=999,999,999,999 for example, it doesn't go there, and stays where it is as it returns the plot window.

Does the calculator not like to show high values on the axis? Is there a way to activate 'CAS' on the graphing apps, that may allow points farther from 0 to be explored in a graphing app?
05-13-2022, 10:20 PM
Have you tried changing the plot "window" in the Shift Plot Setup screen? Set the "X Range" and "Y Range" to the desired location on the graph, and then press Plot. If that doesn't work, please tell us exactly what formula you're graphing, and what x range and y range you want to plot it in.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2022, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2022 08:24 AM by matalog.)
(05-13-2022 10:20 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Have you tried changing the plot "window" in the Shift Plot Setup screen? Set the "X Range" and "Y Range" to the desired location on the graph, and then press Plot. If that doesn't work, please tell us exactly what formula you're graphing, and what x range and y range you want to plot it in.

That doesn't work, and even if you use that, it limits the accuracy to around 12 digits.

I am trying to plot 1/2<FLOOR(FLOOR(X/20)*2^(-20*FLOOR(Y)-FLOOR(X) MOD 20) MOD 2)

And view it at around: X=11200004198382352880400900379940, 0<Y<10

There are plenty more things that I cannot get to view.

But if someone could help with displaying this, then I could have a better go at viewing the other plots I want to.
05-19-2022, 11:07 PM
I’ve thought that a new app dedicated to plotting formulas involving large integers (or perhaps, eventually / later, rationals needing many digits) could make for a fun / “bonus” addition to the Prime. Plots like those you’ve brought up could be included in the app’s Plot Gallery.

Being a new app would make sense as it would have quite different precision requirements than (for example) the Function and Advanced Graphing apps, it would be more limited in scope (the full range of mathematical operations would not be supported), and it would have a different UI for dealing with plotting parameters and coordinates (in Plot and Plot Setup).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)