Calculator Culture Video - HP17BII / 17BII+ Versions, Which is Best?
06-14-2022, 04:29 AM
Calculator Culture Video - HP17BII / 17BII+ Versions, Which is Best?
Antony posted a new video on his Calculator Culture YouTube channel yesterday comparing various versions of the HP 17BII and 17BII+ Financial Calculators. It includes discussing the solver bug in the 17BII+. I thought I knew most of the history of this model but I learned several things that I did not know. I think it is well worth a watch, even if you are not into financial models.

HP 17BII / 17BII+ Financial Calculator versions - Which is best?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2022, 07:14 AM
RE: Calculator Culture Video - HP17BII / 17BII+ Versions, Which is Best?
Thank you for sharing, always look forward to Calculator Culture videos, a few months ago they did a great comparison and history videos of the various 12C models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSAaZWsaJ70
Find all posts by this user
06-19-2022, 09:52 AM
Thank you for sharing, I missed that channel completely.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
06-19-2022, 11:36 AM
I have both a 19B ii (back door battery model) and an original 17B ii and use them in tandem for their solver functionality.

Much as the 17B ii has a more mobile form factor the 19B ii's form factor makes it the best calculator to develop solver expressions on (the second alpha keyboard makes for speedy equation entry). This can be a little tedious on the 17B ii as it features a 42S-style alpha keyboard. The 19B ii also has an identical extended mathematical function list to the 27S (which also features a 42S style alpha keyboard).

Once the solver equations are developed, entering them into the 17B ii or 27S (recently acquired one of these for a reasonable price) is a lot easier as your mind is totally focused on the accuracy of your keyboard entry.

The 17B ii and 18Bii can both be acquired on eBay for a reasonable price, but the 27S is a tad overpriced IMO, however plenty are listed on eBay and bargains can still be found.

Of the three, the 19B ii is my favourite, as it's effectively a 27S with RPN. Its scientific and statistical functions take it far beyond typical business calculator fare, but it has a "love it/loath it" form factor and a fragile battery door (unless you find a later back door model). All that aside, I love mine (and feel much the same way about my 28S - I definitely fall on the "love it" side of the form factor divide).

Both the 27S and 19Bii are great hardware partners to Plus42 too, as the new Plus42 solver has an identical function set to these hardware models (plus some extra 42S-specific goodies to boot).

Another high-quality video from Calculator Culture (you expect no less given the back catalogue ).
06-19-2022, 07:17 PM
(06-19-2022 11:36 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  I have both a 19B ii (back door battery model) and an original 17B ii and use them in tandem for their solver functionality.

Much as the 17B ii has a more mobile form factor the 19B ii's form factor makes it the best calculator to develop solver expressions on (the second alpha keyboard makes for speedy equation entry). This can be a little tedious on the 17B ii as it features a 42S-style alpha keyboard. The 19B ii also has an identical extended mathematical function list to the 27S (which also features a 42S style alpha keyboard).

I started with a 17Bii. Really like the solver but was disappointed that it didn't have all the math functions. So I bought a 19Bii and really enjoyed it's feature set and the separate keypad.

BUT, I hated the fact that the 19Bii would not save a partially entered solver equation or one with errors in it. While the 17Bii would allow for me to enter an equation even with errors, save it and then come back to it later to correct it. So I got rid of the 19bII. Correct me if I'm wrong on it not saving partial or equations with errors. Maybe I just missed some setting that would allow it.

I've found that I can develop very long and complicated solver equations on the HP-200 held-held (either the actual unit or the cpack emulator). Then when working, carefully type it into the 17Bii.

Does the HP-27S allow for saving incomplete solver equations? If so, then I should think about getting one of them.

I haven't really played much with Plus42 yet. But it does look interesting.

Bill WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ
06-19-2022, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2022 09:25 PM by jonmoore.)
(06-19-2022 07:17 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  
(06-19-2022 11:36 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  I have both a 19B ii (back door battery model) and an original 17B ii and use them in tandem for their solver functionality.

I started with a 17Bii. Really like the solver but was disappointed that it didn't have all the math functions. So I bought a 19Bii and really enjoyed it's feature set and the separate keypad.

BUT, I hated the fact that the 19Bii would not save a partially entered solver equation or one with errors in it. While the 17Bii would allow for me to enter an equation even with errors, save it and then come back to it later to correct it. So I got rid of the 19bII. Correct me if I'm wrong on it not saving partial or equations with errors. Maybe I just missed some setting that would allow it.

I've found that I can develop very long and complicated solver equations on the HP-200 held-held (either the actual unit or the cpack emulator). Then when working, carefully type it into the 17Bii.

Does the HP-27S allow for saving incomplete solver equations? If so, then I should think about getting one of them.

Bill WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ

You're correct ref the 19Bii behaviour with regards to errant equations and yes it is annoying. But having said that the speed of keyboard entry means I'm happy to bin and start again. But I also have an IR printer so whenever I get something that's not working, I print the LCD so as to study where it's going wrong after I've deleted the equation.

Ref the 27S I've only transferred equations that I already know to work so I can't say for certain, but something tells me that it's more likely to follow the 17Bii as in many ways the 27S has more in common with the 17Bii than the 19Bii.

Plus42 is an absolute gem. In general, I prefer working with physical calculators but Plus42 is such a clever superset of the 42S with other classic HP calculator functions that it never feels contrived. Everything fits together naturally and Thomas is tireless in the manner that he's ironing out any kinks, whilst continuing to evolve the concept.
06-19-2022, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2022 12:09 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
(06-19-2022 07:17 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  ...

Bill WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ
Bill,

Both the HP-27S and Plus42 allow you to enter an equation with errors. When you try to Calc or Solve with the illegal equation, it briefly displays an "Invalid Equation" message and then automatically takes you to the equation editor with the cursor positioned on the (first) illegal part of the equation. In the following example for the HP-27S, the cursor is positioned over the "1" in the illegal variable name "1B". If you want edit the equation later, press EXIT to leave the editor which leaves the illegal equation still in the equation list. You can then come back and edit it when convenient.

I can't say enough good things about Plus42. I consider it what a HP-42SII might have been if it had been built by the HP team. Here is a link to a great video review of Plus42 from Antony at his Calculator Culture YouTube site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QVl13Qfh9w&t=1s

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-20-2022, 09:24 PM
Periodically I write below the video related to the 27S that I have restored one and in this forum there are the details, but the comment is periodically deleted ... Big Grin

Hardware: Hp48S - Hp50g (5x black + 1 blue) - HP39gII - Hp27s - Casio fx-CG50

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)