Derive 6.1 for Windows - free licensed download
06-17-2022, 11:47 AM
Derive 6.1 for Windows - free licensed download
This might be of interest to some. The other day, I was looking for the link for the DOS version of Derive that functions well on the HP 100/200LX; and I also came across the Windows version on the same website.

https://vetusware.com/download/Derive%20.../?id=11729

The serial number for the install is part of the archive filename but it's also listed on the Vetusware page.

The download is for the final version of Derive that Texas Instruments released but its functionality goes far beyond that of the TI-89, Voyage 200 (a person favourite of mine) or Nspire family of calculators. Much of this extended functionality is provided via the Utility File Library that was distributed with Derive over the years (much of it created by academia as Derive was the most popular CAS in academia for many years before TI got their grubby mitts on the IP).

The range of extended functionality covers combinatorics, linear algebra, tensor algebra, number theory, numerical analysis, complex analysis, probability theory, regression analysis, elliptic functions, ODE's etc, etc.

The great thing about this library for owners of TI CAS calculators is that it can serve as the basis of bespoke extended functions on said calculator hardware, as the core language is the same.

Derive in comparison to Maple or Mathematica will be found wanting, but Derive 6.1 is a great addon to XCAS, and as ever with computer algebra systems, having an alternative to your main CAS is always useful as they each have their own strengths and weaknesses and what results in a cul-de-sac in one can lead to a solution in another.

The UX is definitely dated but once you start working with its core key bindings it's comparable to Maple in terms of its speed in deriving solutions.

The included documentation is excellent but be sure to install the classic Windows help viewer (the Windows 10 help viewer won't work) and you can only access the help via the Windows Start menu. The only other gotcha of note is that you're best to install and run it in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode (via the right-click menu).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2022, 11:24 PM
RE: Derive 6.1 for Windows - free licensed download
Hello
Texas Instruments must publish the source code and upload it to a collaborative code platform. I think there would be several enthusiasts to continue its development.
06-24-2022, 08:35 AM
(06-23-2022 11:24 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Hello
Texas Instruments must publish the source code and upload it to a collaborative code platform. I think there would be several enthusiasts to continue its development.

I think the problem with this outcome is that the Nspire CAS calculator is at its core a modern version of Derive, and TI sell a bundle of the Nspire CAS (which is good value at well under $200) with the student software included, and that's effectively Derive for desktop OS's.

The good news for owners of the TI Nspire CAS calculator is that it's relatively easy to take many of the advanced higher math functions that are included with Derive 6 for Windows and add them to both desktop and hardware versions of Nspire CAS. It's actually a very educational process to go through the process (I've been working through the process with our oldest, who's currently studying for her A-Levels).

And HP Prime owners can also adapt those 'higher math' Derive 6 routines for the Prime too. Not as straightforward as with the Nspire, but not hugely difficult either.
06-24-2022, 02:47 PM
I heard TI-89 and TI-Nspire uses Derive for their CAS somewhere. Where is the source? I have wondered it.

S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-24-2022, 04:15 PM
Texas Instruments took over ownership of Derive in the mid-nineties (to provide the functions within the OS of the TI-92/89 and later Voyage 200/TI-89 Titanium.

For a good number of years, Derive was further developed by the original team out of the University of Hawai but Ti finally pulled the curtains on the desktop versions of Derive in 2007.

https://math.hawaii.edu/wordpress/derive/
06-25-2022, 08:26 AM
Unfortunately, the registration is needed for downloading. I tried to register but I am waiting more than week to get password. A also check the spam folder.
06-25-2022, 12:35 PM
Hi!
If you are interest in Derive, this is the Derive User Group:
http://www.austromath.at/dug/
All the letters can be download for free with many interesting problems and techniques.
Have a good day!
06-25-2022, 12:50 PM
(06-25-2022 08:26 AM)klesl Wrote:  Unfortunately, the registration is needed for downloading. I tried to register but I am waiting more than week to get password. A also check the spam folder.

Here you go. This is a private share via my Droplr account. The registration serial is part of the archive file name.

https://d.pr/f/DcDtx1

Very odd that you're having problems with https://vetusware.com. It's a very well-known website that's been serving the needs of those looking for historic software packages for DOS, early versions of Windows etc. On that note be sure to both install and run Derive 6.1 in Windows XP mode (via the right-click menu, the latest service pack option).

As mentioned previously, the UX is a tad clunky by modern standards, but Derive remains a very solid CAS as it had a near 20yr feedback loop from academia, so the results it derives are super reliable. The graphing is bare-bones and definitely the weakest part of the package by modern standards but it's better than nought.

You'll also need to download Windows Help 6.3 as the modern Windows help doesn't work with older Windows programs. But this is easy to find via Microsoft. Once installed you'll only be able to open the help via the Windows start menu (the in-app shortcut can't find the install location of Windows Help 6.3 - I'm sure you could faff around in the registry to resolve this issue but there's no real need.). The good news is that the Derive Help is akin to a multi-volume book. Even if you haven't used Derive in 20 years or if you'd only used the
DOS version (lots of HP folk use the DOS version on their 200LX's, inclusive of me), you'll be up to speed in no time.
06-26-2022, 08:35 PM
Yes, Derive is a mature CAS and of particular interest to users of TI CAS calculators.

Just to add an open-source alternative to the proprietary CAS systems mentioned (Maple, Mathematica) is Maxima, which like Derive (and Reduce) had its origin in the early CAS days (when it was the proprietary MACSYMA) and is actively developed and available on many platforms.
06-27-2022, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2022 05:51 AM by jonmoore.)
(06-26-2022 08:35 PM)carey Wrote:  Yes, Derive is a mature CAS and of particular interest to users of TI CAS calculators.

Just to add an open-source alternative to the proprietary CAS systems mentioned (Maple, Mathematica) is Maxima, which like Derive (and Reduce) had its origin in the early CAS days (when it was the proprietary MACSYMA) and is actively developed and available on many platforms.

Definitely a very solid option. Especially for its active development community. I often turn to Maxima on Android, where it's one of the most powerful free options.

The downside to Maxima (particularly when it comes to customisation), is its Lisp roots, but this is equally one of its biggest strengths if Lisp is a language that's part of your development vernacular. If Lisp is something that comes natural (those that have strong RPL skills will feel at home in Lisp), Maxima and Lisp each have powerful integration features which allow each language (Maxima can be considered a standalone language) to call functions from each other.

Whether you're developing a Lisp project that's calling on Maxima CAS functions or you're working in Maxima and calling bespoke features written in Lisp, the deep integration between the two is a significant advantage (and Lisp is still a common language in academia, as is Maxima).

Some suggest that Maxima is slow as it's built on a lot of very old foundational code (going back to the 60's). I don't use Maxima enough to comment on this. But both Mathematica and Maple began life as projects looking to deliver a more performant CAS solution than MACSYMA - which was the dominant CAS solution through the 70's and early 80's.
06-27-2022, 05:54 AM
I would also suggest looking at Giac/Xcas, a free computer algebra system for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux/Unix. It is the CAS engine used for the HP Prime.

https://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html
06-27-2022, 06:17 AM
(06-27-2022 05:54 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I would also suggest looking at Giac/Xcas, a free computer algebra system for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux/Unix. It is the CAS engine used for the HP Prime.

https://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html

I was presuming that most here were familiar with XCAS, be that in its 50g, or Prime iterations or via its earlier genesis Erable on the 48. Smile

I don't use XCAS on macOS or Windows hardware but it's part of my base installation on new Linux hardware. Plus I use XAS regularly on iOS via the PocketCAS commercial app (a wrapper around XCAS with many UX improvements).

I also love that Bernard makes XCAS available for CASIO and TI hardware (as well as the diminutive Python powered Numworks calculator). We have four kids at various stages of education, so our calculator collection includes most modern education-focused calculators. It's particularly satisfying accessing XCAS on the Casio CG50!
07-13-2022, 07:39 PM
I downloaded and successfully install Derive6 to my old XP machine.
But, when I install it to Win7 laptop, it hanged.
Since then, font does not work properly.

I just noticed others had the same problem.
see https://vetusware.com/download/Derive%20.../?id=11729

Solution (which actually work!) from above link comments:

Go to Derive6 directory, select the 4 *.TTF files, right click, then click install
07-13-2022, 07:59 PM
(07-13-2022 07:39 PM)Albert Chan Wrote:  I downloaded and successfully install Derive6 to my old XP machine.
But, when I install it to Win7 laptop, it hanged.
Since then, font does not work properly.

I just noticed others had the same problem.
see https://vetusware.com/download/Derive%20.../?id=11729

Solution (which actually work!) from above link comments:

Go to Derive6 directory, select the 4 *.TTF files, right click, then click install

Just installed in a Win 11 VM without issues.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
07-13-2022, 08:02 PM
Glad you got it working Albert.
07-22-2022, 07:53 PM
Does anyone have the full version of manual "Introduction to Derive 6", Bernhard Kutzler & Vlasta Kokol-Voljc, 2003? Only a truncated version (52 pages) is available on the TI website. While the table of contents shows that the original contains at least 261 pages.
07-27-2022, 05:13 PM
(07-22-2022 07:53 PM)Columbus Wrote:  Does anyone have the full version of manual "Introduction to Derive 6", Bernhard Kutzler & Vlasta Kokol-Voljc, 2003? Only a truncated version (52 pages) is available on the TI website. While the table of contents shows that the original contains at least 261 pages.

Apologies for the late reply.

I haven't got the book you mention but this book provides a pretty decent overview of Derive for Windows.

Derive Lab Manual
11-28-2022, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2022 01:45 AM by Albert Chan.)
I am playing with Derive6, and noticed how well thought out it is.

\(\displaystyle \int x^n\,dx → \frac{x^{n+1}-1}{n+1} \)

Essentially, it were returning this:

\(\displaystyle \int _1^x t^n\,dt = \frac{x^{n+1}-1}{n+1} \)

n = -1 is simply the limit of RHS, n → -1:

(x^ε-1)/ε = expm1(ε*ln(x))/ε ≈ (ε*ln(x))/ε = ln(x)

\(\displaystyle \int _1^x \frac{dt}{t} = \ln(x)
\)

Very nice!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)