A practical modern Pocket PC
07-11-2022, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2022 02:55 PM by Chr Yoko.)
A practical modern Pocket PC
Hi,
For those who are looking for a practical modern "Pocket PC", hereby the one i just got to enjoy since last week and that i can't wait to share my latest gadget !
(PS: i am not affiliated with the company making it !)

GPD Pocket 3
Tiny but powerfull with its i7 1195G7 processor, 16Gb Ram and 1Tb SSD ; beautiful full CNC aluminium body and quality keyboard.

It also has a modular port that one can convert into RS232C or KVM with an HDMI Input.
It can also be turned into a small factor tablet , perfect for our favorite calculators emulators.

Hereby some quick pictures to show scale as it is shorter than the HP-75C. "Almost Pocket sized".

You van get it directly from Hong kong on Indiegogo :
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pocke...29399708#/

That company is now just launching an other slightly larger model , the Winmax 2 here :
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-w...29399708#/

The version using AMD 6800U seems to be super fast also for video games thanks to its powerfull APU. It even has integrated joysticks for those interested.

I intend to use the Pocket 3 as my "desktop replacement" main personal PC as soon as i will transfer all my stuff from a desktop ITX i7 4790K almost 10 years old build. The Pocket 3 will be hooked to external 4K screens and keyboard/mouse when at home.

As an always optimistic, I found quite fascinating that our favorite old form factor may see a kind of revival right now thanks to those new great processors available from Intel and AMD !

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2022, 04:38 PM
RE: A practical modern Pocket PC
Certainly interesting as an example of how small a pc can be miniaturized, but apart from gamers who can't stand to be away from their favorite games, or specialized fieldwork for which other (less expensive) small Windows laptops or tablets are too big, I wonder who would want to pay 1K to 2K to run Windows fast on a cramped keyboard w/stylus and 8-inch diagonal screen that looks like a faster, smaller netbook.

In terms of user experience, it seems there is a point of diminishing returns in miniaturizing qwerty keyboards unless for texting (e.g., old Blackberry) or calculating (TI-92/Voyage200), and in miniaturizing displays for operating systems (Windows 10/11) designed for larger screens.

But again, interesting, and could be the right thing for someone, so thanks for sharing!
07-11-2022, 04:49 PM
I find it also a bit interesting, but way to expensive?
07-11-2022, 07:09 PM
Somewhat expensive but interesting, thanks for sharing.

On the modular side, the Framework laptop is a hard to beat proposition. Definitively, my next Linux laptop.

Sylvain
07-11-2022, 09:25 PM
(07-11-2022 04:38 PM)carey Wrote:  In terms of user experience, it seems there is a point of diminishing returns in miniaturizing qwerty keyboards unless for texting (e.g., old Blackberry) or calculating (TI-92/Voyage200), and in miniaturizing displays for operating systems (Windows 10/11) designed for larger screens.

The price of the GPD Win 3 wasn't so bad if you got in on the initial funding. What sold me was the RS-232 module to use with the 41CL. The OP's point wrt calculator emulators is spot on - just fold the display back and interact as you would on a phone. Although not a desktop replacement (unless you dock it as suggested) it is handy for a quick check the way you use a tablet, and is a lot more portable than a 15 inch laptop. Battery life in standby mode leaves something to be desired, but it does cold boot quickly.

Don't forget to install Ubuntu under WSL2 (or Ubuntu itself if you're allergic to M$)

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
07-11-2022, 10:32 PM
Appears to be a serious contender for a desktop PC replacement, has been very few choices on the market really since the late 1990's Toshiba Libretto series of computers.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-11-2022, 11:22 PM
And what about the Gemini ?

https://store.planetcom.co.uk/products/gemini-pda-1

A nice device if you wish a small tool with high capacities in an old school box.
07-12-2022, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2022 03:19 PM by Chr Yoko.)
(07-11-2022 11:22 PM)EmmanuelC Wrote:  And what about the Gemini ?

A nice device if you wish a small tool with high capacities in an old school box.

Thanks ! These are very interesting ARM/Android based "pocket PC". An interesting more energy efficient and compact alternative to X86 modern pocket PCs : A smartphone on a clamshell form factor with a keyboard.
They have several versions including a mobile phone version and a Wifi only version. All have a localized keyboard, that is a missing option on the GPD PCs.
=> When will be get those ARM Pocket PC versions using the latest greatest SKUs from Samsung or Qualcomm ? Reason is that the Mediatek processor maybe a bit missing performance for a desktop use hooking it to a screen and keyboard/mouse.

As for my "GPD Pocket 3", i forgot an important point :
It has a Thunderbolt 4 port !
https://www.intel.fr/content/www/fr/fr/g...olt-4.html
Means it could be (in theory) connected @ 40Gb/sec to an external HUB sporting a fast NVME SSD, 2,5Gb Ethernet and/or a full size high end external GPU (inside a PCIE enclosure with a PSU).

The PC is charged also via USB-C power delivery (PD), means one can have some external standard range extenders batteries. Or even build some bespoke home made version with 18650/21700 LIBs.

And YES, the RS232C modular port could be used to connect a 41CL for its ROMs updates.
07-12-2022, 11:33 PM
I've always found pocket PCs cute, but I think I'd rather have the vintage HP! Your 41C, 71B, and 75C are all pristine.

When I think about what I would really do with a pocket PC (literally just a small computer, use it over a phone mostly for the keyboard), I realize that I'd be better off with the ThinkPad X2xx series, or a modern equivalent, than something like the GPD. Small, but not cramped, and with a great keyboard and more than enough ports.
07-13-2022, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2022 10:14 AM by jonmoore.)
(07-11-2022 11:22 PM)EmmanuelC Wrote:  And what about the Gemini ?

I'm a big fan of the Gemini as it reminds me greatly of the Psion Series 5MX, which were huge here in Europe but didn't make as much of an impact in the US. These days, the 5MX commands a higher average European eBay price than the HP 200LX (which I think is too much!). They really are lovely devices but with the Gemini on the market (having the ability to run Linux not just Android), it's a no brainer as a modern day 5MX form factor replacement.

Back in the day I used both the 5MX and 200LX in tandem. The 5MX was my PDA, whereas the 200LX was my portable DOS box with a far richer set of applications. Plus I love/d the interaction between the HP calculator and Lotus 1-2-3 on the 200LX. Eventually, I moved over to Sony's PalmOS devices and remained loyal to them until the release of the iPhone. But those little clamshell pocket computing devices still give me the warm fuzzies!

Back on the Gemini, the price point definitely hits the sweet spot. I haven't picked one up as yet but I am tempted, although I'm waiting to see if they upgrade the WIFI only model as it's specs are definitely due an update (I'm not interested in phone capabilities as I use an iPhone Pro Max with unlimited data plan).
07-13-2022, 11:50 AM
(07-13-2022 10:10 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  I'm a big fan of the Gemini as it reminds me greatly of the Psion Series 5MX, which were huge here in Europe but didn't make as much of an impact in the US. These days, the 5MX commands a higher average European eBay price than the HP 200LX (which I think is too much!). They really are lovely devices but with the Gemini on the market (having the ability to run Linux not just Android), it's a no brainer as a modern day 5MX form factor replacement.

The keyboard is often the weak point for many of the small form factor handheld devices. HP got it right with the 95/100/200LX series. The initial Cosmo clamshell was pretty bad in that only a straight down keypress would register. Hopefully the Gemini keyboard design has been refined. Many of the netbook sized devices have better keyboards due to their larger form factor, and that to me determines whether a device is useful or not.

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)