the the
07-31-2022, 11:28 AM
the the
I recently noticed this common pattern in one of my older posts.
To find it again I searched for " the the " and fixed it.
This made me curious how common it is in general.
The search result currently contains 20 pages.
I assume not all link to The The.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2022, 12:52 PM
RE: the the
I don't have "the the" problem, but I find that I skip words and type the wrong word all the time.
07-31-2022, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2022 01:38 PM by pauln.)
Don't the results include things like "the theory"?

" the the " => 14 pages
"the the" => 22 pages
07-31-2022, 02:25 PM
"the the" (and "and and") is something I do too but it's easy to spot so I think I manage to fix most of them in time

(07-31-2022 12:52 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  I don't have "the the" problem, but I find that I skip words and type the wrong word all the time.

Same here, especially when in hurry. On the other hand when not in hurry I tend to rewind a few words and try to rephrase. That I do a lot. Unfortunately I often forget to remove the old version. The result is absolute mess :-)

If I may detour... My native tongue doesn't use articles, I haven't fully grasped them and in spite of nearly forty years of learning English it's still a source of frustration for me. For example, here a native speaker wrote I don't have "the the" problem but my version would be I don't have the "the the" problem (article - adjective - noun). Sigh...
07-31-2022, 03:22 PM
I would have thought that I didn't make this kind of mistake, but searching by my name I realized that I did it 3 times in the the last couple of years.

So it seems a recent mistake for me and I will be more careful now, starting from this very post.

J-F
:-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-31-2022, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2022 04:02 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(07-31-2022 03:22 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  I would have thought that I didn't make this kind of mistake, but searching by my name I realized that I did it 3 times in the the last couple of years.

So it seems a recent mistake for me and I will be more careful now, starting from this very post.

J-F
:-)
:D

Next one, maybe. :D

I found me guilty, too, in at least one post.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-31-2022, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2022 05:11 PM by toml_12953.)
(07-31-2022 11:28 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  I recently noticed this common pattern in one of my older posts.
To find it again I searched for " the the " and fixed it.
This made me curious how common it is in general.
The search result currently contains 20 pages.
I assume not all link to The The.

I don't see the the problem. Generally I make that and
and similar mistakes when the word falls at the end of a line.

Tom L
Cui bono?
07-31-2022, 09:02 PM
(07-31-2022 02:25 PM)vaklaff Wrote:  If I may detour... My native tongue doesn't use articles, I haven't fully grasped them and in spite of nearly forty years of learning English it's still a source of frustration for me. For example, here a native speaker wrote I don't have "the the" problem but my version would be I don't have the "the the" problem (article - adjective - noun). Sigh...

Notice that he says he skips words, which might make us non-native wonder he has skipped one “the” or not. On the other hand they say “I don’t have stomach problem”, not “I don’t have the stomach problem”. However, “I don’t have the stomach problem he had” sounds good. So, both “I don’t have ‘the-the’ problem” and “I don’t have the ‘the-the’ problem [you’ve been mentioning]” appear to be ok. Incidentally, when I read the first message in this thread I wondered how this would translate in Polish, „Nie mam the-the-ego problemu” or „nie mam the-the problemu” ?
BTW, I’ve found only one “the the ” occurrence in my posts (many other different mistakes, though).
08-01-2022, 06:00 AM
(07-31-2022 01:32 PM)pauln Wrote:  Don't the results include things like "the theory"?

Using " the the " should prevent that. However, the double quotes are mandatory.

Quote:" the the " => 14 pages
"the the" => 22 pages

I still get:

" the the " => 20 pages
"the the" => 32 pages

I selected: Show Results as posts
That might explain the difference.
08-01-2022, 02:10 PM
(08-01-2022 06:00 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  
(07-31-2022 01:32 PM)pauln Wrote:  Don't the results include things like "the theory"?

Using " the the " should prevent that. However, the double quotes are mandatory.

Quote:" the the " => 14 pages
"the the" => 22 pages

I still get:

" the the " => 20 pages
"the the" => 32 pages

I selected: Show Results as posts
That might explain the difference.

My guess is that you get 20 results per page while I get 30.
08-02-2022, 04:56 AM
(08-01-2022 02:10 PM)pauln Wrote:  My guess is that you get 20 results per page while I get 30.

Negative. I get 30 results per page as well.
But I do get your numbers if I leave the default:

Show Results as threads
08-02-2022, 12:36 PM
Nice, mystery solved! I didn't see that option.

Obviously the default undercounts. Interestingly, the option overcounts by including posts that don't use " the the " per se but that just quote posts that do.
08-03-2022, 12:46 AM
(07-31-2022 09:02 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  ... So, both “I don’t have ‘the-the’ problem” and “I don’t have the ‘the-the’ problem [you’ve been mentioning]” appear to be ok.

No, the first one is wrong. You definitely need an article, either definite or indefinite.
08-03-2022, 12:52 AM
I think several of the posts in this thread were tongue-in-cheek though it is not clear which ones exactly : )
08-03-2022, 07:24 AM
(07-31-2022 09:02 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Incidentally, when I read the first message in this thread I wondered how this would translate in Polish, „Nie mam the-the-ego problemu” or „nie mam the-the problemu” ?

I don't speak Polish but two other West Slavic languages and my gut feeling is that the first option wouldn't work, unless you mean it as a delicate play on word :-) I'd bet on the latter, maybe just with a different word order.
08-04-2022, 03:17 AM
(08-03-2022 07:24 AM)vaklaff Wrote:  
(07-31-2022 09:02 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Incidentally, when I read the first message in this thread I wondered how this would translate in Polish, „Nie mam the-the-ego problemu” or „nie mam the-the problemu” ?

I don't speak Polish but two other West Slavic languages and my gut feeling is that the first option wouldn't work, unless you mean it as a delicate play on word :-) I'd bet on the latter, maybe just with a different word order.

„Nie mam problemu z the-the” wouldn’t look strange, I think (compare with „Nie mam problemu z pisaniem”). I was expecting to learn Polish in less than ten years, but after studying it for a couple of years, I am not that optimistic anymore. If “life is too short to learn German”, it should be even shorter for Polish :-) At least telling masculine from feminine and neuter is way easier.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)